tv is 4k hdr
4kuhd rips will play in kodi dsplayer BUT only on lowest of low madvr settings
RGB 4:4:4
all artifact removal is OFF
chroma upscale is bicubic60
image upscale is lanc 3 tap NO filter NO doubling
image downscale bicubic 150 NO filters
NO refinements
seems like the red team is outta step now , back to the green team?
gtx 1060 ? is the ticket? 6gb needed or will 3 do?
how does nvidia handle the audio side? back when I put this together for proper wasapi pass through nvidia was NO good.
hi rez audio is very important and im NOT talking about movie soundtracks

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042
thinking about upgrading videocard specifically for htpc
current config
win 7 64
i5-6400
8 gb memory
current vcard is rx260x
tv is 4k hdr
NO refinements
how does nvidia handle the audio side? back when I put this together for proper wasapi pass through nvidia was NO good.
The GTX 1060 is a good choice if you don't mind spending the money. Otherwise, the GTX 1050 Ti would do. Obviously, the GTX 1060 is a better long-term investment. If you are using this card with madVR, having at least 4GB of VRAM is recommended for 4K 60 fps playback with normal queues, so the 3GB card is insufficient.

WASAPI audio is not a problem. It is one of the simplest aspects of audio set up. Check everything in LAV Audio and select WASAPI bitstreaming in DSPlayer or whatever media player you are using.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
thinking about upgrading videocard specifically for htpc
current config
win 7 64
i5-6400
8 gb memory
current vcard is rx260x
tv is 4k hdr
NO refinements
what is your hi rez audio? DSD? PCM? 2 channel? Multichannel? MQA? MLP?

·
Registered
581 Posts
The GTX 1060 is a good choice if you don't mind spending the money. Otherwise, the GTX 1050 Ti would do. Obviously, the GTX 1060 is a better long-term investment. If you are using this card with madVR, having at least 4GB of VRAM is recommended for 4K 60 fps playback with normal queues, so the 3GB card is insufficient.

WASAPI audio is not a problem. It is one of the simplest aspects of audio set up. Check everything in LAV Audio and select WASAPI bitstreaming in DSPlayer or whatever media player you are using.
ok great thanx

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
all of the above actually and some dsf which is dsd more or less
All of your DSD (.dsf, .dff, .iso) will be converted to pcm and possibly decimated prior to playback with your system. MQA may not get completely unfolded. Very high bitrate pcm multichannel files may not play at all or may be required to be decimated prior to playback with your setup depending upon your preamp/processor/amp that you are feeding.

·
Registered
581 Posts
All of your DSD (.dsf, .dff, .iso) will be converted to pcm and possibly decimated prior to playback with your system. MQA may not get completely unfolded. Very high bitrate pcm multichannel files may not play at all or may be required to be decimated prior to playback with your setup depending upon your preamp/processor/amp that you are feeding.
converted to pcm is no big deal even if my receiver CAN play dsd BUT not playing at all is no good
my r260x sends everything to my receiver and everything plays at proper bit depth and bit rate so the nvidia audio side is still problematic?
I have a crapload of 24/96-192 5.1 flacs and several dozen dsd mch isos

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi to everyone!

I'm trying to use some upscale settings for improving image quality using MPC HC and madvr.

My target is upscale from 720p and 1080p to 2160p.

I used 720p anime and 1080 bluray movie at medium settings and high profile to upscale 2160p but I can't see any changes for image compared to the original.I have a lot of drops frames seems to upscale algoritms working but when i pause and save image as png/bitmap 100% quality (alt+i) at from MPC I don't see any changes.

The screenshots result are identical wich is weird :
source 1920 x 804 (4.2mb) and after uscpale 1920 x 804 (4.2mb);

-1280 x 720 1.88mb (original) and 1280 x 720 1.95mb upscaled.

Another result for 720 source: (print screen)
-3840 x 2160 (720p source) 23.7mb bmp - 3840 x 2160 (720p source) 23.7mb bmp (after upscale)

My setup: Win 10 X64 with last update, latest MPC and madvr;
Intel Skylake i5 6500, 8gb ram, GTX 1050ti 4gb, ssd Samsung 256gb, Samsung TV 55ju7500 2160p resolution 60hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
you are comparing images with the same size.

they all upscaled or all not upscaled.
I think I saw the problem: every time when I take a SS the size depends for screen ratio from MPC. If I take a SS (alt+i) from full screen, all of them will be at same size and resolution: 3830 x 2160 .
If a take from half size player the resoltuion will be half of 2160p.
How can I obtain a SS with original size?
How can I "force" to upscale to 2160? except madvr upscale settings.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,054
I think I saw the problem: every time when I take a SS the size depends for screen ratio from MPC. If I take a SS (alt+i) from full screen, all of them will be at same size and resolution: 3830 x 2160 .
If a take from half size player the resoltuion will be half of 2160p.
How can I obtain a SS with original size?
How can I "force" to upscale to 2160? except madvr upscale settings.
I think you'll drive yourself crazy trying to compare screenshots like that. If you want to know what each setting is doing, try a thread like this: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1840876#post1840876.

It is easy to see the image is being enhanced. If you want even more from the image, you need to consider adding things like sharpening from upscaling refinements or image enhancements.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sorry if this isn't quite relevant here, but it is regarding my HTPC and I'm at a loss as where to go.

I have a 2TB USB 3.0 HDD connected to my HTPC. I've transferred a bunch of files back and fourth between my drives I and know that its read and write speed is 108MB/s. However, when downloading five, 11GB files from my FTP server at a combined speed of 47MB/s, the write load reaches 100%.

Moreover, when I attempt to watch a video file from that drive, while downloading the aforementioned, it stutters and can't playback as the read load is also at 100%. The video file is only 45Mbps, that gives it an equivalent read speed of 5.6MB/s, well short of the 108MB/s it's capable of. If I stop the downloads, however, the video file plays back flawlessly and the read load is only 18%.

CPU and RAM usage while doing all of the above is fine and nowhere near bottlenecking. It's obvious there's a HDD bottleneck here. but I don't understand what is causing it. Does anyone have any ideas or tests I can do to route out the problem?

The drive is a Toshiba HDTB320EK3CA, 5400rpm, 16mb cache (I think, hard to find info).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
this is expected behaviour for HDDs.

a HDD can only read or write at the same time. reading multiply files at the same time will create the same problem the needle has to jump around between different parts of the disc and is getting very slow even number lower than 5 mb under extrem load like 5 files writing and reading 5 file to is kind of normal.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My PC does not turn on the HDR option automatically when playing hdr capable movies on netflix on chrome, or even a demo 4k file in mpe-b player. I have to turn it on and off manually in the windows settings, and upon turning it on, the colors are extremely saturated and washed out.
What am i doing wrong.

·
Registered
894 Posts
For Onkyoman

Hi Onkyoman,

I’m interested in setting up an HTPC (with a big drive) that can be integrated into my home theatre system. I could then RIP all my bluray discs (both 2K and 4K) on the HTPC and play them via MadVR for it’s CFI capability, I know MADVR is able to upscale and sharpen too which is a huge advantage. The reason I'm inclined to use MadVR is because there are a lot of good and cost effective laser based projectors out there that don’t have video processing and CFI capabilities. I love a sharp, colour accurate images that are devoid of any judder. I have always appreciated CFI and hate judder regardless of the content I am watching. Most recent projectors have colour calibration abilities but lack video processing features. Hence, I have some questions.........

How can I RIP all my original bluray discs (2k and 4K) to a big hard drive or NAS drive or USB 3 hard drive without any problems ? (1:1 same as original would be nice) - Don't mind a non-lossy compressed format e.g. MKV (1:1).

Is there a simple, easy and cost-effective way to integrate a HTPC in my home theatre so that I get a menu of all the movies on my projection screen via the projector like a media player. I can navigate through all my RIPED movies and play what I want. It should be a reliable system that just works without problems.

Is it possible to get a Mac-Mini like PC that runs windows 10 and MadVR ?

Is all metadata preserved in the RIPed files in terms of the SDR or HDR metadata ? (Rec709, HDR10, BT2020 for DCI-P3)

I will really appreciate your help and advice.

I know about the nice outboard systems like Kaleidescape Strato and Lumagen processors but they do not provide CFI capability.

What is the best way to approach this ?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Any ready made and preconfigured petite HTPC units that are ready to tick with MadVR ?

A nice in-built in navigation system and interface would be brilliant.

1041 - 1060 of 5067 Posts