AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How To Properly Set Your Speakers and sub(s) with Audyssey.

Note: This is NOT a "new way" to run Audyssey, Kbarnes has a great guide for Audyssey which is something you should follow. All you are doing is integrating your subwoofers with your speakers BEFORE you run Audyssey. Please see the FAQ in the second post to help answer questions.

This is the single best way to get your system sounding great in your room. This information was given to me from Audyssey itself, straight from the source! So try this if you want to get the best out of your system and not be disappointed with Audyssey results. I have never liked how Audyssey has set my subwoofer, either too boomy or too low. Now, it comes out sounding good every time and you just tweak a little after.

First off, this requires you to set your speaker and sub locations properly, before you do anything. Use the rule of 3rds, Cardas, or REW to find the best locations for especially your fronts, center, and sub(s). This will give the best results and best measurements from Audyssey itself. My sub ended up facing woofer towards wall, and my mains went in a triangle closer to me. I have a horrible, square, plastered room and it took me a LONG time to find the best placement for everything, last night I finally found it. Do the same if you want the best performance out of your system.

Requirements: Measuring tape, SPL meter (or REW with a proper mic), paper and pencil/pen

*I recommend a full reset of your receiver before doing this* if you need to, write down your settings. Not a must but recommended.*

Audyssey how to:
1. After proper placement of speakers and sub, put your sub on the flattest setting or one recommended by the manufacturer for room correction. Phase at 0, gain start about 9 0'clock, and crossover shut off, run by the receiver itself only. Use these settings if your sub has no recommendations.

2. Measure the distance from your sub, mains, center, and any other speaker...all of them. Record the results on paper. I go from tweeter to MLP. Put a piece of tape or set up audyssey mic in your MLP (main listening position) at ear level, from tweeter on speaker to Tip of Audyssey Mic. *

3. Skip the room correction for now. If you did not reset your receiver, turn Audyssey off in settings. This is also important because having Audyssey on will affect a second Audyssey measurement.

4. Go to manual speaker settings, set your crossovers on speakers to 80 Hz or higher if your speakers cannot go down that low. No lower than 80 and no higher than 120 Hz preferably. You can also set them to preference (how you plan to keep them after) but my recommendations are best. If you are new to this, you have to check the specs in your speaker manuals or go online and look up your speaker's specs. You are safe setting your speakers to either manufacturer recommendations or higher but never lower. I suggest 80 Hz (or higher if your speaker cannot handle 80 Hz, example 100 Hz-20KHz speakers) and all speakers on small, even with larger tower speakers capable of going lower. If you need more help on crossover sertings, a quick search on this forum will help you with that. For example, if your speaker has a rating of 53 Hz-25 Khz, I would suggest running the speaker at 80 Hz. If your speaker is from 93 Hz-20 KHz), I would set the crossover to 100 or 110 even. You can experiment as well.

5. Go to Speaker Distances and set all of your speakers to the distances you wrote down. Double check then save, check they are correct.

6. Bring all speakers and subwoofers too, to 75 db using a SPL meter or REW with mic. Even if this is not your preference for your subs, you can tweak later. Keep the sub level at 0 *important* and adjust gain on the back of sub to when your spl reads 75 db. It may jump around a little. Make sure your are measuring the sound level at you MLP at ear level. Do one sub at a time if multiple subs.

7. Once checking everything, you are ready to run Audyssey. If the receiver says your sub is too loud or reads higher than your SPL ignore it. Do not change sub gain settings. If you do, this will not work correctly...it will be off like usual. *Most Important*

8. Take measurements in all 8 positions (or as many as your version of Audyssey will let you). I prefer three by my MLP, three in front of it, and 2 behind it. Make sure no more than 2 feet away from each other, no closer than 20" from your rear or side walls, and keep them tighter for a better sweet spot. Make sure the mic is ear level and pointed straight up for best results. Check Kbarnes guide if you need more help or details on how to do this process,

9. After running Audyssey, saving your results, check what crossover settings it set your speakers to. Set them properly.

That is it! Now listen to your favorite music and enjoy the fact Audyssey did a good job finally and your system sounds better than ever. You might want to turn your sub up in receiver setting a db or three, just write down where it was before you do that so you can bring it back.

Enjoy! If you do this, following each step, and your find it works great for you....can you please comment and let others know your results? Thank you.

*FAQ and other information below to help answer questions.*

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
FAQ:

Q: Who was the original source of this information?
A: Audyssey itself

Q: What does this method do exactly, compared to the standard way?
A: You are not changing how Audyssey works, notice how I say to run Audyssey the normal way? You are simply integrating your subs with your speakers. Audyssey is a system, not a human. A very advanced system, but that does not mean it will work perfectly every time. You are basically "helping" Audyssey by setting your sub levels to match your speakers before it is run. The biggest complaint people have is the way it handles subwoofer and after running it, most find the sub is too quiet or marked as being 20+ feet away when the sub is right in the far corner about 6' away. This will obviously not be right and make the sound of your sub off.

Q: Can't I just run Audyssey and let it pick everything for me?
A: Sure, if you want the often mediocre results! If you have a well treated room and speakers placed properly, you might get good to great results, but are you getting the BEST results Audyssey can give you? Doubtful. Audyssey does a decent job usually, but it is often wrong with the way it handles subwoofers and how it handles tough rooms. Often the sub distance will be set to something ridiculous (like 20+ ft when it is actually about 7' away for example). Not only off, but it will also be either too low (most common) or too boomy.

Q: What is different from this method, to the usual "let Audyssey set everything and tweak after"?
A: By properly matching your speakers to both your subwoofer and room, not to mention setting distances accurately, you are running Audyssey basically tailored to your room and speakers. This will increase the accuracy and final results, especially the subwoofer/speaker mix. This is a usual weak area with Audyssey in mine and many other people's experience.

Q: How long does this take compared to just running Audyssey?
A: Took me 20 minutes to setup, 15 minutes for Audyssey Multi-XT 32. You can likely do it faster or it might take you a bit longer, but the results are worth it! I have tried literally everything (and this is my 18th receiver that has had room correction!) and this is the only method that gives good and repeatable results.

Q: How can I do this with multiple subwoofers?
A: The same exact way. Just do one sub at a time. Turn sub 1 on, with the SPL (or REW) set the gain to 75 db measured, shut that sub off. Turn on sub 2, set the gain to 75 db. Then turn sub 1 back on so they are both ready to go. Audyssey will take care of the rest. You can tweak after but never touch the sub gain on the back of the subs, use the receiver levels to set the subs higher or lower.

Q: How can I tweak after?
A: I suggest writing down your settings (unless, like my Denon X4100, you can Restore settings) first. Then you can adjust the speaker crossovers, levels (do not do by ear, use the SPL), and subwoofer levels. DO NOT mess with distances or touch the sub gain on the back of your sub(s). You should not need to.

Q: But I heard (from so and so) that his/her method is best or what "everyone does". Why would I listen to you or try your way?
A: Lots of people have found different ways to perform auto-calibration, with varying degrees of success. I have tried it all! Considering not only is this information from Audyssey itself....and I myself found it works better than any other way I have tried, I would suggest giving it a try. Especially if you are constantly feeling like you are not getting the best results or think Audyssey made your speakers sound worse.

Q: How can you compare these results with anything else you have tried?
A: Night and day, best compared to mediocre to bad results. This is the only time I ever had Audyssey actually improve the sound of my speakers and have the subwoofer levels properly set as well (even though I did turn the sub up a db or so to taste in the receiver levels).

Q: What if I just do this without moving my speakers or already found what to me sounds the best in my room?
A: Then there is no reason to move things around unless you are not absolutely sure you have the best locations for your speakers and sub(s). For a bad room like mine, a simple tweak is to try your (front or side firing only) sub either facing the wall (with clearance for ports), or facing sideways, 90 degrees or 180 degrees. A simple experiment which can give you even better performance.

Q: Where do I put the SPL meter (or REW mic)?
A: At your main listening position. Always ear level and always facing straight up. I use a good but inexpensive thin tripod myself to put the mic on. Make sure every speaker and sub reads 75 dB AFTER setting crossovers and sub gain.

Q: What is a SPL?
A: Sound pressure level meter. Radioshack makes a popular model, I have the digital version and it works just fine for this. Needs to be C-weighted and allow a slow response for accurate results. Also needs to be at your MLP, at ear level, and pointed straight up. I highly recommend a thin tripod, tall enough for all of your seating locations to be as high as your ears there. You can also use the Denon provided stand or a boom mic stand.

Q: How do I set all speakers to 75 dB?
A: Use your receiver's built in test tones, which are 75 dB pink noise. If your receiver does not have a fixed volume, 80 on my Denon is 75 dB as far as the pink noise goes. Put your SPL on a tripod (do NOT hand hold it if you want good sound!), turn it to 80, C-weighted, and slow response. Your receiver should be in the ballpark if you have the volume of the tones right. Go one speaker at a time, bring all of them where they are at 75 dB. Now do your subwoofer the same way, turn the gain until the meter says 75 dB. If you have a second subwoofer, do that one by itself as well and do the same thing. Then check all of your settings. Note: You MUST set speaker distances for all speakers and your sub before doing this, along with setting the proper crossover for each speaker. If not, your readings on the meter will be off and the end result might not be good.

Q: What is MLP?
A: Main listening position. Ideally this is lined up with the center of your sound system. The first measurement is the most important one so make sure your mic is right in the exact center of your room and center channel (preferably). This is the measurement that takes the distance measurements and sets speaker levels, so get it right and be the most vigilant with it. The other measurements do not have to be so precise and should be taken around the MLP, in other chairs or seating locations. For near field, keep all of your measurements clustered fairly tight to your MLP. Keep them all within 2 ft of each other.

Q: I just ran Audyssey and it sounds great! Why would I need to tweak it when it is good as it is?
A: Then leave it alone and enjoy your system! I was happy before I knew of this too...until I tried it and it made my system sound even better than ever!

Q: I have my own way, it is better and I have (insert condescending rhetoric here).
A: Than do it your way but maybe consider helping others by making a guide for others to use as well? As for me, I am finally able to say that Audyssey is awesome!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tips and tricks:

-REW with a good, calibrated mic and a MiniDSP (or Dirac Live) are the best tools to setup sound in your room. The equipment is not hard to use, is inexpensive, and is worth it if you really want to get the best sound. It is handy for this guide, seeing how your rooms acoustics are, and for setting up acoustic panels and such.

-Try doing a slight toe-in or toe-out of your speakers. a 1/4 of an inch or 1/2 inch should be plenty.

-If you have a room with bad acoustics, try and make your front speakers in a triangle. Set them up so the distance from each other and distance from you are equal. This can battle room nulls and reflections and worked for me when not much else did!

-If your sub is too boomy or not performing as expected, do the sub crawl. Put your sub at ear level at your MLP and crawl until you find the best sound in your room. Mark the area with tape and put your sub there. This is an easy and fairly effective way to place your subwoofer.

-For your speakers, you can do the same thing. Place one of your mains at your MLP, play a well-mastered song on mono through that speaker only, and go to your front sound stage area. Find the place where your speaker sounds best and mark it with tape, put your speaker there and your other speaker will go on the opposite side the same space from the back wall and your side wall.

-Avoid corner placement of subwoofers unless you have a weak sub. You will likely get boomy sound if you do this.

-If your sub only had limited placement options, try facing the woofer to the wall or turn your sub 90 degrees. Turning my sub to face the wall, so it's rear and right side facing me, sounded best. You have to experiment.

-Keep your ports at least 3 inches (or 8+ inches, ideally) to get the best sound quality from your subs or ported speakers.

-Use a speaker calculator or rule of thirds, rule of 5ths, Cardas, or a method to help place your speakers. If not you can do the speaker crawl above or just keep trying different placement until you find the best spots.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I believe that Audyssey ignores whatever crossover setting you have set prior to running it.
It also ignores most everything else that is suggested in the above posts as relates to the manual settings.

I know the OP's intent is good, but there is a significant lack of understanding about how Audyssey works in the above posts.

Also, to the OP, there is a dedicated Audyssey thread in the "Receivers and Amps" section. This should be moved there. @kbarnes701 has a VERY extensive guide already done that has been thoroughly vetted over the past several years. I suggest you read it.

·
Registered
27,275 Posts
2. Measure the distance from your sub, mains, center, and any other speaker...all of them. Record the results on paper. I go from tweeter to MLP. Put a piece of tape or set up audyssey mic in your MLP (main listening position) at ear level, from tweeter on speaker to Tip of Audyssey Mic. *
This step is a waste of time - see below.

3. Skip the room correction for now. If you did not reset your receiver, turn Audyssey off in settings. This is also important because having Audyssey on will affect a second Audyssey measurement.
No, it won’t.

4. Go to manual speaker settings, set your crossovers on speakers to 80 Hz or higher if your speakers cannot go down that low. No lower than 80 and no higher than 120 Hz preferably. You can also set them to preference (how you plan to keep them after) but my recommendations are best.
It doesn't matter what they are set to. Audyssey ignores the AVR settings when it runs.

5. Go to Speaker Distances and set all of your speakers to the distances you wrote down. Double check then save, check they are correct.
Same as above - these settings are ignored by Audyssey when it runs. Measuring the physical distances is pointless.

6. Bring all speakers and subwoofers too, to 75 db using a SPL meter or REW with mic. Even if this is not your preference for your subs, you can tweak later. Keep the sub level at 0 *important* and adjust gain on the back of sub to when your spl reads 75 db. It may jump around a little. Make sure your are measuring the sound level at you MLP at ear level. Do one sub at a time if multiple subs.

7. Once checking everything, you are ready to run Audyssey. If the receiver says your sub is too loud or reads higher than your SPL ignore it. Do not change sub gain settings. If you do, this will not work correctly...it will be off like usual. *Most Important*
Not sure what you mean here. The proper procedure is to set the subs to ~75dB as indicated in the first test screen when running Audyssey.

9. After running Audyssey, saving your results, check what crossover settings it set your speakers to. Set them properly.
Not sure how you are determining the "proper" crossover settings. Audyssey uses the F3 point of each speaker to set crossovers. As such, it takes account of the speaker's actual in-room response, including any low end boost which is caused by boundaries. Without sophisticated measuring software such as REW + calibrated mic, and the ability to use it, it is not easy to improve on the way the crossovers are set after running Audyssey. Also, one should not lower the crossovers recommended by Audyssey since correction filters are only created down to the F3 discovered during measurement. If you set lower XOs then you have an uncorrected 'hole' in the frequency response. Raising XOs is, of course, OK.

That is it! Now listen to your favorite music and enjoy the fact Audyssey did a good job finally and your system sounds better than ever. You might want to turn your sub up in receiver setting a db or three, just write down where it was before you do that so you can bring it back.
If you raise the sub level after calibration, it is best to do it in the AVR, not on the sub. This is to enable an accurate return to former values if required.

It is good to see someone trying to offer advice for Audyssey users, but quite a lot of the information above is not correct. The Official Audyssey Thread covers setup in minute detail using experiences gathered from thousands of calibrations by hundreds of users. Similarly the official FAQ, linked in my signature, is a comprehensive guide to Audyssey, as is the '101 to setup' and both have been peer-reviewed by numerous experienced Audyssey users over a long period of time. I would recommend the thread, the 101 and the FAQ as the best place to go for information which is accurate and proven.

·
Premium Member
14,111 Posts
How To Properly Set Your Speakers and sub(s) with Audyssey.
Dude, you need to read the *real* Setup Guide and FAQ. Yours is just plain wrong on multiple levels. See the signature of Keith Barnes in his post above!

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
I would call this The Audyssey "Snake Oil" Setup Guide :rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
I hate it when people post stuff like these and then noobs run across it and take it as good advice. :mad:

To any noobs reading this thread - please disregard ArchonX advice and follow the Audyssey links in my and kbarnes' sigs instead!

Sorry ArchonX, you got some of it right, but the majority of what you posted is rubbish.

Reactions: jaeelarr

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Since this is snake oil, funny, how come it worked for me?

By the way, I saw Kbarnes guide....meh. been there done that. My system sounds way better doing it my way, hence why I offered it to everyone.

And by crossover settings being set "properly", sometimes Audyssey gives weird values for crossovers and does not sound as good as setting your speakers to the proper size and crossover. For example I have the same size speakers for my front and rear sound stage, plus my back surrounds are only good for 100 Hz and up, yet Audyssey sets all my speakers differently and my surround backs at 80 Hz, which is not ideal. If you red Kbarnes guide, it even says you can adjust crossovers

I bet you every moron commenting has not even tried it! Look I am trying to help people, I know a lot of people have egos and need to show people have "unknowing they are". I am not surprised or impressed in the slightest, nor am I deterred. If you think it is BS, then skip it. Coming in here to dispute it and shoot it down and tell me how you are laughing, good chuckle away. Quit wasting my time and others who may find this useful.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I hate it when people post stuff like these and then noobs run across it and take it as good advice. :mad:

To any noobs reading this thread - please disregard ArchonX advice and follow the Audyssey links in my and kbarnes' sigs instead!

Sorry ArchonX, you got some of it right, but the majority of what you posted is rubbish.
You are missing the entire point of why I do it this way, it has little to do with Audyssey (as far as the supposed wasted time). I am the one laughing that you shoot stuff down without even knowing why. But this is about matching your sub to your speakers BEFORE Audyssey is run. So far everyone commenting has missed the entire point of this procedure. You are not reinventing the wheel, you are more or less "helping Audyssey integrate your sub(s) with your speakers before you run it". Notice I said to run Audyssey, just giving some pointers. So you can do it Kbarnes way or the way the receiver tells you to do it, stand on your head and do it, whatever. I did update the post to point this out, but I did get a chuckle from all of the worthless comments. (Save for Kbarnes, but he was thinking what everyone else did...that you are "changing the Audyssey procedure).

Kbarnes wrote a very, very nice guide. That being said, the method he describes for Audyssey is basically the proper way to run it according to how Audyssey tells you to do it. It works, but why do you think so many people are disappointed in the results? Setting my Sub to 75 dB, like Audyssey tells you to (my Denon even checks this before you are able to proceed taking measurements) caused my sub to not sound right (too low and not even blended, plus the EQ from my other speakers sounded wrong.)

By using the SPL meter to match your subwoofer to your speakers before you run Audyssey, you are ensuring proper level matching of both. If you just set your sub while your speakers are out of whack (default to all 80 Hz, 12 foot distance and 0 db for example) how can you match your sub with your speakers if they are set wrong? You cannot. You can rely on Audyssey to get things right, set your sub to 75 dB and then run Audyssey. But if that method worked so great, then there would not be so many people like myself who have been there, done that and never liked the results. Up until now, the only room correction I liked was MCACC because of how much more tweakable it is, now I frankly have no reason to tweak because it sounds great as it is.

Not snake oil when you understand what is happening or why, but I ran Audyssey the old way 3 times and the new way (same exact measurement locations) and the new way worked better every single time and sounded the same. Strangely the old way (generic way) gave a slightly different result each time. I think Audyssey has a hard time with my room, as I have successfully run it for my parents and my friends and it worked pretty good, still needed tweaking in the speaker, levels, and sub levels but it was decent.

I believe Audyssey is a great tool but not a perfect one, I also believe that in better rooms than mine, results run the old fashioned way would work just fine or at least be in the ballpark. My room is a nightmare for Audyssey, speakers, and subs, but I was able to tame it finally by a little "Audyssey prepping". That is what this is all about.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
my back surrounds are only good for 100 Hz and up, yet Audyssey sets all my speakers differently and my surround backs at 80 Hz, which is not ideal.
And how do you know this? From the published specs or from in-room measurements??

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Go do Kbarnes advice then, but when you are disappointed with the final result like usual, sorry to hear. I know I was. Another useless post.
I used kbarnes' well thought-out, in-depth, comprehensive guide and couldn't be happier with the results. I would try your method, but why in the world would I go through all that work pre-Audyssey when I know it's all going to be wiped out by the calibration process?? :confused:

I would LOVE to see a link with Audyssey saying that you should manually set crossovers and speaker distances pre-Audyssey....if you can show me that, I will eat my shoe and post the video of me doing so. :D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Q: Who was the original source of this information?
A: Audyssey itself
"itself"? Do you have some kind of documentation, a link to a website, anything that verifies this statement?

One thing I found useful to folks not familiar with Audyssey was
ArchonX said:
Which still doesn't really tell them anything, but should indicate that they can adjust the crossovers to tweak the sound to their liking.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
ArchonX-you've really had 18 AVR's??)
WOW- could you list them please??

"I have tried literally everything (and this is my 18th receiver that has had room correction!)"

Reactions: jaeelarr

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This step is a waste of time - see below.

No, it won’t.

It doesn't matter what they are set to. Audyssey ignores the AVR settings when it runs.

Same as above - these settings are ignored by Audyssey when it runs. Measuring the physical distances is pointless.

Not sure what you mean here. The proper procedure is to set the subs to ~75dB as indicated in the first test screen when running Audyssey.

Not sure how you are determining the "proper" crossover settings. Audyssey uses the F3 point of each speaker to set crossovers. As such, it takes account of the speaker's actual in-room response, including any low end boost which is caused by boundaries. Without sophisticated measuring software such as REW + calibrated mic, and the ability to use it, it is not easy to improve on the way the crossovers are set after running Audyssey. Also, one should not lower the crossovers recommended by Audyssey since correction filters are only created down to the F3 discovered during measurement. If you set lower XOs then you have an uncorrected 'hole' in the frequency response. Raising XOs is, of course, OK.

If you raise the sub level after calibration, it is best to do it in the AVR, not on the sub. This is to enable an accurate return to former values if required.

It is good to see someone trying to offer advice for Audyssey users, but quite a lot of the information above is not correct. The Official Audyssey Thread covers setup in minute detail using experiences gathered from thousands of calibrations by hundreds of users. Similarly the official FAQ, linked in my signature, is a comprehensive guide to Audyssey, as is the '101 to setup' and both have been peer-reviewed by numerous experienced Audyssey users over a long period of time. I would recommend the thread, the 101 and the FAQ as the best place to go for information which is accurate and proven.
You are thinking the same as most, that this was about setting Audyssey. You are prepping your system before Audyssey is run. I added this to both the FAQ and the first post.

I do appreciate you helping or correcting, but this is matching your system before you run Audyssey. Just running Audyssey has never worked well for me so I had to resort to 1000 different things to make it work right. This is finally the only way I can get it to make my system sound good after Audyssey without tweaking it to death after.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I used kbarnes' well thought-out, in-depth, comprehensive guide and couldn't be happier with the results. I would try your method, but why in the world would I go through all that work pre-Audyssey when I know it's all going to be wiped out by the calibration process?? :confused:

I would LOVE to see a link with Audyssey saying that you should manually set crossovers and speaker distances pre-Audyssey....if you can show me that, I will eat my shoe and post the video of me doing so. :D
You simply do not get what the purpose is, understand. I just clarified on the main page and the FAQ.

You are NOT changing Audyssey, the way it is ran, or anything like that (only 1 thing is changed and I will explain). Kbarnes guide is more or less spot on and perfect...no where have I said to change the way you do Audyssey...hence one of my final steps is to run Audyssey with little tips.

The only thing you are doing is matching your sub to the rest of your speakers, this is the only "change you are doing". For example, if I reset my Denon, set my sub to 75 dB on the back of the sub like Audyssey tells you to, then run it....it sounds "okay" but my sub is way off usually. I can run it 10 times and get different sub results each time, even using the same positions with the calibration.

Using my SPL to set my sub, I wanted it at 75 dB (ends up being my preference after all is said and done, some like it hotter). The issue was that by my other speakers being at default (12 feet distance for all, 0 level, crossovers all set to 80), I could not level match them to my speakers. So I went to the Audyssey forums and a person was arguing with Chris Ky (I do not want to butcher his name, but an Audyssey founder) and a guy argued that no matter what he did, his sub was off. So Chris from Audyssey said to set your speakers to the proper levels, distances, and crossover settings before you run Audyssey. Use the SPL to set all the speakers after setting them up right (or results will be off, your speakers are typically NOT all the same volume levels, not always the same crossover settings, and room gain can affect all of your speakers.). He also said you should keep your sub at 75 dB before running Audyssey and keep it there.

So the guy that was arguing tried it, and came back saying that it made a big difference. I also went to Blu-ray forums and found a post that suggested to try this, supposedly he has a friend who works for Audyssey or something. So yesterday before work I tried it and viola, it works! It really works and I did this like 3 times this way (easy because I know all of my settings because I wrote them down the first time :cool:) and then ran Audyssey the normal way. My sub was spot on all 3 times with this method, and off every single time I just ran Audyssey.

The only change you are doing is setting your sub level properly before Audyssey and keeping it there, ignore the part if your receiver asks you to bring your sub to 75 dB. It will likely be slightly over or under, depending on your room and speaker efficiency but it should be within about 3 db of 75 dB.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
ArchonX-you've really had 18 AVR's??)
WOW- could you list them please??

"I have tried literally everything (and this is my 18th receiver that has had room correction!)"
Oh wow...I will do my best. No particular order but brand. and last 3 on top.

Sansui ?? (bought it from my friend, one of the best sounding units ever but just stereo. I remember how good my Commodore Amiga sounded through it!)
Yamaha HTR-5550
Onkyo TX-NR705
Onkyo TX-NR706 (bought it off Craigslist)
Marantz SR7004
Marantz SR5006
Marantz SR6008
Marantz SR6009
Pioneer VSX-516k (my first More modern receiver, in fact my dad still has it in the frontroom of his house, still running strong to this day and sounds good!)
Pioneer VSX 80
Pioneer VSX ?? (maybe 51? I had it for 2 days and got the SC-1222k)
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Pioneer SC-61
Pioneer SC-63 (eBay. Sold it on craigslist).
Denon 2112
Denon 2313
Sony STR-DN1040
Denon X4100

I actually think the number is higher but I have owned quite a few you can say (haha) ;) I am missing a few models with room corection but those I did not have for long...but I did set them up using the auto corect, I am missing in partcular the Yamahas with YPAO, I thought it sounded very bright (think it was like V337). I owned them for a day or three, then returned them. 3 different Yammy's.

Edit: Forgot Onkyo 818, had it for 3 days and had tons of issues so I sent it back and bought the Marantz SR5008.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
1. play a 5.1 test disc with audyssey off.
2. manually set trim to 75dB for each speakers.
3. run audyssey. [audyssey now gives a different trim value]
4. play 5.1 test disc with audyssey on. manually set all trims to value recorded in step 2.

^ Is this what you mean?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think the intention of the original OP was in good heart.
Yes the proper instruction from (kbarnes701) explain every details if you take the time to read-it.

So lets not jump on the new member for trying to help even if the information was miss-inform.
Instead, let's quote some of his mistake so he/she can learn.

Ray

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.