AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hardware Required:
*HDR capable GPU: GTX950 GTX960 GTX1000 series (4gb recommended) (no idea if AMD works too)
*HDR TV
*HDR high-speed HDMI cable (recommended: monoprice)
*You also need a good CPU ( using 30% of my 7700k and doesn't work well with 60fps hdr video)
*at least 25mbps internet speed.

*This method can also work with 2160p/1080p/720p SDR TV and none-HDR GPU.
madvr will convert HDR content to SDR and output great quality too.

Softwares (FREE) Required :
*MPC-BE: https://www.videohelp.com/download/MPC-BE.1.5.1.2831.x64-installer.zip
*MADVR: https://www.videohelp.com/download/madVR09202.zip
*LAVFILTERS: https://www.videohelp.com/download/LAVFilters-0.70.2-35.exe
*Windows 10 (obviously not free) I dont know if older OS works too.

Install the softwares, and make sure your setting are like the following pictures.

Configuration: (sorry for the french pictures)
MPC-BE

LAVFILTER

MADVR

Configuration is done.
Now open any real youtube HDR content with mpc-be.

great HDR videos:
HDR channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve7_yAZHFNipzeAGBI5t9g/videos

Enjoy!!!

You can also download the file using youtube-dl command line:
just drag youtube-dl in a command prompt (CMD) and type: -f 337 ''youtube link''
this will download the video only, you'll have to do the audio seperatly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
HDR doesn't necessarily have to be on 4k, I've enjoyed that on my high-contrast 1080p monitor.
Btw, on my hd4600 igpu, "let madVR decide" simply passthrough HDR to the display which gives wrong colors. By using convert HDR to SDR using 3dlut then it's ok.
Thanks for nice finding.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's correct, this can work with 1080p SDR monitor/TV too.

''let madVR decide'' is supposed to choose ''convert HDR content to SDR by using pixer shader math'' when played on a none-HDR GPU / monitor. (which works and gives good colors on the 1080p monitor i tested)
I don't know why it didn't work on yours.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Intel hasn't pooped out the new Windows 10 drivers required for the latest WDDM and HDR. By the end of the year, things should be lined up for the new Intel UHD Graphics hardware that Intel just introduced in the past few days, so you'll get those things on the 7th-gen Intel HD Graphics hardware around the time it's released.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2015 model LG 950/9500 OLED tv

What HDR/video settings should be used in Nvidia control panel and Windows 10?

If I turn on HDR on win10 with Nvidia set to default colour settings then desktop is washed out and so are the videos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hardware Required:
*HDR capable GPU: GTX950 GTX960 GTX1000 series (4gb recommended) (no idea if AMD works too)
*HDR TV
[/B]
Thanks for sharing this. This works for me on my Nvidia 1080 with a Samsung TV. However, the video is displayed in HDR only when MPC-BE is in windowed mode. If I switch to full-screen, I can tell that something is not right. The colors appear all faded and HDR is definitely not working. :frown:

Do you know a fix for this?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. This works for me on my Nvidia 1080 with a Samsung TV. However, the video is displayed in HDR only when MPC-BE is in windowed mode. If I switch to full-screen, I can tell that something is not right. The colors appear all faded and HDR is definitely not working. :frown:

Do you know a fix for this?
Can't wait to try this out. If it works at all, I'll report back if any issue with windowed vs full-screen output on my PC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you

This is the only way to correctly watch YouTube HDR content up to this day, even with all HDR settings enabled and supported on Windows 10.
At least on my config: Windows 10 Pro 1903, GTX 980, i7 4790k, Sony TV XBR-65A8F

YouTube via browser lets you select HDR on the video settings, but it doesn't render correctly (washed out).

This was really bugging me. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
You list a "*HDR high-speed HDMI cable (recommended: monoprice)". FYI - this is all marketing hype. HDMI cables are the same no matter what kind of snake oil they try to sell you. There's nothing magical that makes one HDMI cable "faster" than any other or does a better job with a HDR signal. Some may use higher quality conductors or gold plated contacts and connector shells, but for the most part they're all just stranded copper wire.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You list a "*HDR high-speed HDMI cable (recommended: monoprice)". FYI - this is all marketing hype. HDMI cables are the same no matter what kind of snake oil they try to sell you. There's nothing magical that makes one HDMI cable "faster" than any other or does a better job with a HDR signal. Some may use higher quality conductors or gold plated contacts and connector shells, but for the most part they're all just stranded copper wire.
This is not correct. The HDMI licensing body certifies cables based on speed among other things. https://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx. High speed is needed for 4K and Premier is for HDR.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,578 Posts
Unfortunately, this is incorrect. Poor quality HDMI cables cannot pass through the full 18gbit needed for 4K/60/HDR. The result of a poor cable is you won't be able to link at 4K/60/HDR or maybe not even 4K/24/HDR. You may only link at 1080p. And if you have a long run needed for a projector like 30 feet or more, you are *probably* going to experience these problems unless you have something like an active cable or a fiber optic cable.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,578 Posts
This is the only way to correctly watch YouTube HDR content up to this day, even with all HDR settings enabled and supported on Windows 10.
At least on my config: Windows 10 Pro 1903, GTX 980, i7 4790k, Sony TV XBR-65A8F

YouTube via browser lets you select HDR on the video settings, but it doesn't render correctly (washed out).

This was really bugging me. Thanks a lot
Unfortunately, I tested this and all the links above results in a video 1280x720 being served. I only get the 4K video when playing in a browser.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, I tested this and all the links above results in a video 1280x720 being served. I only get the 4K video when playing in a browser.

Make sure you change the following

MPC-BE > Options > Playback > Online media services > Preferred format
from MP4 to WebM

This solved that problem you described, for me.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
This is not correct. The HDMI licensing body certifies cables based on speed among other things. https://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx. High speed is needed for 4K and Premier is for HDR.
Unfortunately, this is incorrect. Poor quality HDMI cables cannot pass through the full 18gbit needed for 4K/60/HDR. The result of a poor cable is you won't be able to link at 4K/60/HDR or maybe not even 4K/24/HDR. You may only link at 1080p. And if you have a long run needed for a projector like 30 feet or more, you are *probably* going to experience these problems unless you have something like an active cable or a fiber optic cable.
I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of something else when I posted my initial response, probably something that stuck in my head about audio cables back in the day. There are several different standards for HDMI cables, much like Ethernet cables. They are tested for different bandwidths and rated accordingly so there is indeed such a thing as high speed HDMI cables. I apologize for spreading any misinformation.

While this may not be the final authority on the subject, Wikipedia has an extensive description on HDMI standards and types of cables:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

1 - 17 of 17 Posts