AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it that microsoft has against enabling guide sharing amongst HTPCs? With the new Ceton tuners on the horizon, guide and tuner sharing are the only thing standing in the way of me putting an HTPC in every room. Extenders will never have the flexibility of a dedicated HTPC and are not a suitable replacement in my opinion. I would imagine that this is something that microsoft could easily implement. What is stopping them?

·
Registered
537 Posts
a good extention to this would be for Ms to realize what century they are in, let you put that tuner inside your WHS box that never shuts down, and have your htpc function as an "extender", with all of the codec support that you have on the HTPC..

A guy can dream, right?

·
Registered
837 Posts
It's really strange as they automatically share the recorded tv folder but not the guide. Also all the cable/dish companies have apps for phones to allow programming recorded tv and/or websites to record tv, but we can't use our WINDOWS mobile devices?

I have faith that MS will add this feature with an update though hopefully in a year. I don't understand why they would want people to purchase an xbox 360 vs buying windows 7 for a HTPC. I think they're really trying to push their softsled and internet tv instead of going with shared guides. MS tries to think 10 years in advance but always comes up 3 years behind on everything.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
it will happen, they finally lifted the oem requirement of the cable cards, so this is the next step to whole house dvr.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
This lack of this ability and the use of the propriatary recording format (wtv) are dealbreakers for me. Sage + Sage client and/or hardware extender and BTV + BTV Link are designed for this exact function, supporting multiple (up to 6 or 8) tuners and have done it for years. They both work perfectly, run on XP and cost a hell of a lot less than multiple copies of Win7. I'm trying to love MC7 but it has too many limitations for my requirements.

BB

·
Registered
837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/18271518

This lack of this ability and the use of the propriatary recording format (wtv) are dealbreakers for me. Sage + Sage client and/or hardware extender and BTV + BTV Link are designed for this exact function, supporting multiple (up to 6 or 8) tuners and have done it for years. They both work perfectly, run on XP and cost a hell of a lot less than multiple copies of Win7. I'm trying to love MC7 but it has too many limitations for my requirements.

BB

what format does sage use?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Sage records in standard MPEG (program or transport) streams.

I still wonder when people will realize MS doesn't care about enthusiasts.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/18271554

I still wonder when people will realize MS doesn't care about enthusiasts.

Agreed.

All I ever hear about windows media center is how great it is because it has this really neat looking screenshot or that really neat looking screenshot, etc. Then I look to see if MS has added any meaningful capabilities in the last year or two only to walk back away thinking, "Glad I set my system up around Sage."

-Suntan

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought MS decided to use WTV because of DRM and they can encrypt it. I can watch WTV files on my other win7 machines and can convert to dvrms but cant watch it on my 2008R2 in either format. Its not that they don't care about enthusiasts they have to create a product that is legal and supports antipiracy laws. Does sageTV allow use of cablecard? are you able to record channels like HBO with sage?

MS is a huge corporation and cares about profits and lawsuits. They are targeted and sued all the time by other corporations for allowing things like this. Small companies like Sage don't have much to worry about.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Right, well if your main interest is in the size of the company you buy from, and that they do their fair share of big company back scratching, then your choice seems pretty clear.

Personally, I've always been more interested in spending my money on products that best suit *my* desires. For whole house DVR distribution, that is not WMC.

-Suntan

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm just not a fan of adding 3rd party apps when WMC does a great job.

Few questions about sage:

Does sageTV allow use of cablecard?

Are you able to record channels like HBO with sage?

Can you record TV from remote location? ie smartphone or website

Can you rip dvd's and view them on sage?

Can you use 360 extender to play dvd's and recorded tv? create recordings?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18271700

I thought MS decided to use WTV because of DRM and they can encrypt it. I can watch WTV files on my other win7 machines and can convert to dvrms but cant watch it on my 2008R2 in either format. Its not that they don't care about enthusiasts they have to create a product that is legal and supports antipiracy laws. Does sageTV allow use of cablecard? are you able to record channels like HBO with sage?

It's not even about DRM (though that doesn't help) we're talking about "basic" things, like PC clients, server on WHS, unlimited tuners, multiple channel lineups, non-crippled extenders, limitations on recording locations, etc, etc.

They've fixed a few things in Win 7 (like the tuner count/lineups I think) but it took way, way too long to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18271905

Few questions about sage:

Does sageTV allow use of cablecard?

No.

Quote:
Are you able to record channels like HBO with sage?

Yes, I record everything I get on Dish in HD, try that with WMC.

Quote:
Can you record TV from remote location? ie smartphone or website

yes

Quote:
Can you rip dvd's and view them on sage?

You can view them yes. Plus their extenders support DVDs (full functionality) and BDs (follow playlists).

Quote:
Can you use 360 extender to play dvd's and recorded tv? create recordings?

No but Sage has better, much less crippled extenders (And I say this as a 360 owner).

I look at WMC every time a new release comes out, but the crippled extenders and other limitations are just deal killers for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts