AVS Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 19540 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't know if this has been covered yet but...

In several of your recommended setups (first post) you list the Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804 2GB DDR2 kit. If you check the reviews (at newegg) sorted by date posted, there are several recent reviews claiming that their memory was DOA or died within a month of use. One reviewer claims it fried his motherboard. Seems like most of them say they had batch number 97432.

I just recently purchased some of this ram and after reading those reviews checked what I had. Batch 97432. So far it is running fine but I did read that several users developed problems after some use so I think its best to return what I have and exchange it for another brand. Didn't cut off the upc yet. I got it from Microcenter which has a 14 day return policy on ram I think. I'd rather switch it out now then possibly be mailing ram back and forth to Crucial.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Luckily, some of this has now been discussed publicly at Computex so I can speak.

The initial two processors in the Nehalem family, Gainestown and Bloomfield, would be overkill for an HTPC. Gainestown is a server chip, and Bloomfield is extremely powerful and targeted for enthusiasts. It would be like putting an Extreme Edition processor in your HTPC-- it will work, and work fine, but it's like using a hydrogen bomb to take out that annoying tree stump in the back yard.

Later desktop versions of Nehalem, Lynnfield and Havendale, appear to be much more well-targeted in mainstream/HTPC space. I personally want a Havendale, and suggest going with a 9xxx-series Core 2 Duo or Quad until then.

If you're a gamer or do lots of video encoding, however, I think you will enjoy Bloomfield. The thing is a beast.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,205 ·
There are three familes in the Nehalem desktop processors. (For details, read 後藤 弘茂 (Hiroshige Goto) - Intelが投入するGPU統合CPU「Havendale/Auburndale」 (November 27, 2007) .)

Boolmfield, high-end desktop platform, the successor to X48

- CPU: Bloomfiled (4 cores+triple-channel DDR3), LGA1366, $316 (2.66GHz)-$999 (3.20GHz)

- IOH (I/O Hub): Tylersberg-DT (X58; desktop version of Tylersburg; PCIe 2.0 x32)

- ICH (I/O Controller Hub): ICH10

IOH is a high-speed I/O controller hub and ICH is a low-speed I/O controller hub. CPU and IOH is connected by QPI (QuickPath Interconnect, Intel's version of HyperTransport) and IOH and ICH by DMI (Direct Memory Iterconnect, the current bus architecture between GMCH and ICH).

Lynnfield, the mainstream desktop.

- CPU: Lynnfield (4 cores+dual-channel DDR3+PCIe 2.0 x16), LGA1160

- PCH (Platform Controller Hub): Ibexpeak

PCH is a low-speed I/O controller hub, just like ICH10. CPU and PCH is connected by DMI.

Havendale, the mainstream desktop with IGP.

- CPU: Havendale (2 cores) + GMCH (GPU+dual-channel DDR3+PCIe 2.0 x16) connected by QPI. This is MCM (multi-chip module), LGA1160

- PCH (Platform Controller Hub): Ibexpeak

Havendale's GMCH is naturally expected to be more mature than G45.

Bloomfield will be available in a very low quantity in Q1 2009 and both Lynnfield and Havendale are released only in Q3 2009 according to the article 後藤 弘茂 (Hiroshige Goto) - ソケット数の制約から脱却するNehalem世代のIntel CPU (June 2, 2008) . Therefore Core 2 Duo/Quad and P45/G45 will stay current until Q2 2009.

BTW, AMD is also developing Swift, an Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) (formerly called Fusion). Swift is a MCM (multi-chip module) comprised of a CPU die and a GPU die, connected by HyperTransport 3 (so it is similar to Havendale). It is expected in H2 2009.

CPU die:

- Barcelona (phenom) cores

- Griffin memory controller

GPU die:

- RV710 (Radeon HD 4450) core

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,206 ·
Nehalem MA is

Core MA-based with various enhancements:

- New SSE4.2 Instructions

- Improved Lock Support

- Additional Caching Hierarchy (shared L2 cache -> L2 cache + shared L3 cache)

- Deeper Buffers

- Improved Loop Streaming

- Simultaneous Multi-Threading (SMT)

- Faster Virtualization

- Better Branch Prediction

The below are a block diagram of Core MA core and Nehalem MA core respectively (from 後藤 弘茂 (Hiroshige Goto) - IDFで公開された「Nehalem」の内部アーキテクチャ (April 3, 2008) ). Resemblance between Core MA and Nehalem MA is evident. This was revealed at Intel Developer Forum (IDF; April 2-3 2008).

QuickPath Interconnect (QPI)

This is a point-to-point processor interconnect like HyperTransport in the AMD processors, replacing the old parallel FSB.

Integrated Memory Controller (IMC)

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,207 ·
Bloomfiled will be officially launched in Q4 2008, but supplied in a very low quantity through Q2 2009. There will be three versions:

- Bloomfield 3.20GHz, QPI 6.4GHz, 8MB L3 cache, DDR3-1333, TDP130W 

- Bloomfield 2.93GHz, QPI 4.8GHz, 8MB L3 cache, DDR3-1066, TDP130W

- Bloomfield 2.66GHz, QPI 4.8GHz, 8MB L3 cache, DDR3-1066, TDP130W

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

I created a seperate thread here a couple of weeks ago but I think it is probably better for me to ask my latest question in this thread. That way it keeps all the similar questions in one thread and I don't have to worry about my thread getting lost in the millions of others
!

My main question at the moment is whether the graphics on the G45 motherboards will be comparable with the graphics of a standalone graphics card. A subquestion to this (if I don't have the patience to wait for them to be released) is how the graphics on the G35 motherboards compare to the graphics of a standalone graphics card. Please remember that this system will be used exclusively for HD playback (mainly H.264), SD playback, playing music and Internet browsing. I will be doing absolutely no gaming. I just want a HTPC that plays back HD content smoothly.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,209 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport /forum/post/14051490

My main question at the moment is whether the graphics on the G45 motherboards will be comparable with the graphics of a standalone graphics card. A subquestion to this (if I don't have the patience to wait for them to be released) is how the graphics on the G35 motherboards compare to the graphics of a standalone graphics card. Please remember that this system will be used exclusively for HD playback (mainly H.264), SD playback, playing music and Internet browsing. I will be doing absolutely no gaming. I just want a HTPC that plays back HD content smoothly.

As nobody has hands-on experience with G45, this is a mere speculation. A typical discrete graphics is HD 3650.

- PQ: HD 3650 = G45 = G35

- HA: HD 3650 = G45 >> G35

- Deinterlacing: HD 3650 > G45 > G35

- HDMI Audio

--- HD 3650: stereo LPCM/AC3/DTS

--- G45: multichannel LPCM/AC3/DTS, supporting PAP (meaning full-resolution audio)

--- G35: multichannel LPCM/AC3/DTS

·
Registered
797 Posts
i am wondeirng which heatsink is compatible with this case "Thermaltake Bach" ?

scythe mini ninja or some other heatsink is not on the list? if it is not on the list, please list them.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer /forum/post/14051997

i am wondeirng which heatsink is compatible with this case "Thermaltake Bach" ?

scythe mini ninja or some other heatsink is not on the list? if it is not on the list, please list them.

The same as SilverStone LC16/LC17/LC18/LC20/GD01/CW01.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone know if I can have 2 SATA harddrives and a SATA blueray drive on a BIOSTAR TF8200? Is that configuration possible on that motherboard?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiczero /forum/post/14052616

Does anyone know if I can have 2 SATA harddrives and a SATA blueray drive on a BIOSTAR TF8200? Is that configuration possible on that motherboard?

There should be no problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ,

Upon assembling a type 3 Hi-End HTPC ; I would like to scale low quality Tv or Vedio signals to HDTV standard or atleast to a signal quality suitable for a 42 inch display - something similar to the Bravia engine ,

A detailed procedure may be lengthy or have been discussed elsewhere a link would get me started ,

I could read up if there are software recommendations and a guide for enriching incoming vedio signals - realtime

thanks

Suranjan

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
You can get an idea of how low quality video would look scaled up right on your computer. Just temporarily set your monitor to 640x480 and watch a youtube video full screen.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Audio /forum/post/14053701

Hi ,

Upon assembling a type 3 Hi-End HTPC ; I would like to scale low quality Tv or Vedio signals to HDTV standard or atleast to a signal quality suitable for a 42 inch display - something similar to the Bravia engine ,

A detailed procedure may be lengthy or have been discussed elsewhere a link would get me started ,

I could read up if there are software recommendations and a guide for enriching incoming vedio signals - realtime

thanks

Suranjan

See threads on FFDshow and Dscaler. They are probably the most comprehensive tools for doing this realtime. For offline, check out Avisynth, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I installed ati hd2600 pro agp videocard in my htpc

now, the cpu usage during Planet Earth blu ray playback fell down to 5-25%, but for some reason I still see some mild but continous, stuttering. On the other hand, media player classic home cinema, can play Planet Earth blu ray with no stuttering whatsoever, perfectly smooth. But the cpu usage shows close to 99% and the audio is breaking up really bad, all the time.

1. What is causing video stutter in power dvd 8 ultra with 2600 pro and 25% cpu usage? Audio is perfect.

2. What is causing mpc-hc to constantly break up the sound? Video is perfect, but cpu usage is up to 99%.

3. If the answer to the above is cpu overload, how can I make MPC-HC utilize the hardware acceleration of the hd2600 pro?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/14051529

As nobody has hands-on experience with G45, this is a mere speculation. A typical discrete graphics is HD 3650.

- PQ: HD 3650 = G45 = G35

- HA: HD 3650 = G45 >> G35

- Deinterlacing: HD 3650 > G45 > G35

- HDMI Audio

--- HD 3650: stereo LPCM/AC3/DTS

--- G45: multichannel LPCM/AC3/DTS, supporting PAP (meaning full-resolution audio)

--- G35: multichannel LPCM/AC3/DTS

Hi renethx,

Thank you very much for your reply. Just a few more questions off the back of your reply:
  • I thought the G35 motherboards already output high-definition audio. Can you give a brief explanation of what PAP is (or simply what it stands for so I can do a bit of reading myself)?; and
  • Could you just confirm that the G35/G45 should play HD video without a problem (given all the other system components are good enough).

Thanks again for your help
!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport /forum/post/14059303

Just a few more questions off the back of your reply:
  • I thought the G35 motherboards already output high-definition audio. Can you give a brief explanation of what PAP is (or simply what it stands for so I can do a bit of reading myself)?; and
  • Could you just confirm that the G35/G45 should play HD video without a problem (given all the other system components are good enough).

PAP stands for Protected Audio Path without which audio from every AACS-encrypted content will be downsampled to 16bit/48kHz.

A couple of problems of G35:

- G35 suffers from the so-called HDCP repeater issue (actually it's not a problem of G35, but of software players). If you use a receiver between G35 and the display, you have to use AnyDVD HD to bypass the issue (+$110).

- Denon owners can't get multichannel LPCM over HDMI. Again it's Denon's issue.

- HA does not work. So you need a faster processor such as E8400 (+$100).

I hope G45 does not suffer from these problems.

2201 - 2220 of 19540 Posts