AVS Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 19540 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello.

This is my first post on this forum. I've been reading post for about a month, but haven't been able to find the answer to my doubts.

Looking forward to building up a HTPC to be able to play BD. My budget is $1000-1500.

I'm trying to hook this up to my Sony 52" KDL-52W4100 LCD tv.

I was wondering if I could get a good recommendation as for list of parts (in a detailed way) that I should buy in order to build a good HTPC. A good set of 7.1 speakers and TV tuner would be nice as well. (TV tuner is not really a MUST at this point. I understand I can buy this later)

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I have posted at the wrong thread. I just didn't know where else I should do it.
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormeye /forum/post/14250484

Hello.

This is my first post on this forum. I've been reading post for about a month, but haven't been able to find the answer to my doubts.

Looking forward to building up a HTPC to be able to play BD. My budget is $1000-1500.

I'm trying to hook this up to my Sony 52" KDL-52W4100 LCD tv.

I was wondering if I could get a good recommendation as for list of parts (in a detailed way) that I should buy in order to build a good HTPC. A good set of 7.1 speakers and TV tuner would be nice as well. (TV tuner is not really a MUST at this point. I understand I can buy this later)

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I have posted at the wrong thread. I just didn't know where else I should do it.
[email protected]

Check out the first page. The low end II or mid range systems get my vote, with the addition of bluetooth keyboard/mouse, media center remote, vista premium 32, and blu-ray burner.

I just built the low end II, and coulnd't be happier.

E2220, Abit IN73HD, LG GGC-H20L, Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 2GB RAM, Antec Fusion 430, XFX 8500 GT, WD 320 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premuim 32.

I use the stock cooler, and it NEVER gets over 40 degrees C in the Fusion 430 with dual 120mm fans @ the high setting, which is still very quiet.

The only reason why I didn't select the low end 1 is because I game and like having a video card.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so after a few weeks of researching i decided on my gear. Now for some reason the more i research the specifics of what i bought i feel like i made wrong decisions (im incredibly indecisive) and want to return my graphics card and maybe my mb.

anyway looking for opinions.

1Gx2|CRUCIAL BL2KIT12864AA804

VGA ASUS EN8600GT MAGIC/HTP/512M RT

VID DEV AVERMEDIA AVERCOMBO

CPU INTEL|C2D E7200 2.53G 775 45N R

MB GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R 775 P35 RT

CPU COOLER ZEROTHERM|BTF90 R

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by papes510 /forum/post/14257160

Ok so after a few weeks of researching i decided on my gear. Now for some reason the more i research the specifics of what i bought i feel like i made wrong decisions (im incredibly indecisive) and want to return my graphics card and maybe my mb.

anyway looking for opinions.

1Gx2|CRUCIAL BL2KIT12864AA804

VGA ASUS EN8600GT MAGIC/HTP/512M RT

VID DEV AVERMEDIA AVERCOMBO

CPU INTEL|C2D E7200 2.53G 775 45N R

MB GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R 775 P35 RT

CPU COOLER ZEROTHERM|BTF90 R

Your system is nice and well-balanced. Did you find any problems with the graphics card and the mb? Which graphics card and mb do you look at? There are plenty of other good solutions and maybe I can help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/14257837

Your system is nice and well-balanced. Did you find any problems with the graphics card and the mb? Which graphics card and mb do you look at? There are plenty of other good solutions and maybe I can help you.

Well the graphics card wont do hardware acceleration so thats heavy load on the cpu for playback. i dont think it would be a huge problem, but suplementing it with maybe an XFX8600gt for the same price might be better. plus this card only has 1 dvi instead of 2, dont know if thats a drawback.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,509 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by papes510 /forum/post/14257951

Well the graphics card wont do hardware acceleration so thats heavy load on the cpu for playback. i dont think it would be a huge problem, but suplementing it with maybe an XFX8600gt for the same price might be better. plus this card only has 1 dvi instead of 2, dont know if thats a drawback.

Every GeForce 8600 GT card, including ASUS EN8600GT MAGIC/HTP/512M, supports HA for MPEG-2/VC-1 (partial)/H.264. One card (either ASUS or XFX) is enough unless you want quad display. VGA or DVI depends on your need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a pretty old HTPC that can't do HD content, so I'm thinking about upgrading. Taking stuff from this thread with other threads in this forum, this is what I've come up with:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S RC1100

CPU: Q9450

GPU: Gigabyte HD4850

MB: Asus P5Q-E

Mem: Corasair Twin2x4096 (4GB)

PS: Enermax MODU82+ 625W PS

CPU Cooler: Ultra-120 extreme

HD: WD 320GB SATA

This should be overkill for watching HD content, but I'll probably use it for some encoding, so I figure it's worth it. Anyway, I'm just wondering if it seems like a good build, or if I'm making some dumb mistake with any of the components.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/14258320

Every GeForce 8600 GT card, including ASUS EN8600GT MAGIC/HTP/512M, supports HA for MPEG-2/VC-1 (partial)/H.264. One card (either ASUS or XFX) is enough unless you want quad display. VGA or DVI depends on your need.

ok great. so sticking with the Asus vs the XFX is probably safe. My last concern is output to my 42 Toshiba LCD TV with HDMI inputs. Will i be ok with this card?

·
Registered
1 Posts
what software raid 5 solution do you recommend for a 16 drive setup? Also if a sata controller dies for one reason or another, is it possible to recover the software raid?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,513 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2535748 /forum/post/14261195

I've got a pretty old HTPC that can't do HD content, so I'm thinking about upgrading. Taking stuff from this thread with other threads in this forum, this is what I've come up with:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S RC1100

CPU: Q9450

GPU: Gigabyte HD4850

MB: Asus P5Q-E

Mem: Corasair Twin2x4096 (4GB)

PS: Enermax MODU82+ 625W PS

CPU Cooler: Ultra-120 extreme

HD: WD 320GB SATA

This should be overkill for watching HD content, but I'll probably use it for some encoding, so I figure it's worth it. Anyway, I'm just wondering if it seems like a good build, or if I'm making some dumb mistake with any of the components.

That's a great selection! P5Q-E has a minor problem: one SATA port is blocked by HD 4850 (I am not sure why ASUS chose such a stupid design). But you still have seven internal SATA ports.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by papes510 /forum/post/14262362

ok great. so sticking with the Asus vs the XFX is probably safe. My last concern is output to my 42 Toshiba LCD TV with HDMI inputs. Will i be ok with this card?

Usually OK although I can't guarantee it with your TV model.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,515 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vDrag0n /forum/post/14262949

what software raid 5 solution do you recommend for a 16 drive setup? Also if a sata controller dies for one reason or another, is it possible to recover the software raid?

Windows 2003/2008 Server or Linux. UnRAID and FlexRAID are not RAID 5, but popular.

Yes, software RAID is independent of hardware host controllers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi,

This is a great thread, I learned quite a bit. I had a few questions:

1. Do most people keep the PC near their 40"+ screens? If so, how does the fan noise go (I have a Tivo & that fan is kind of annoying).

2. (a little longer):

I have a this media cabinet:

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catal...ls.asp?ID=7374

I am planning on a 46" Samsung LCD that will be mounted two or so feet above the cabinet - the point being that all wires will be run from the back of the TV, through the wall, into the cabinet (I will put a new outlet near the TV on the wall).

I was thinking of adding two exhaust fans to the back of the cabinet (which will be very close to a wall).

I am concerned about heat in the cabinet. My 1.5 year old son would like the doors open but they need to stay shut so heat can be an issue.

3. I would love to run a cable through the floor & keep the PC in the garage but that wouldnt work with the wife & it would be annoying if we have a DVD to insert.

4. Was there any write up of XP Media center vs say Vista Ultimate?

Thanks for all the info!

Rich

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

please help me decide..

I'm planning to buy HP Pavilion Elite m9300t series as my HTPC for playing and backup movies, NO games. From the manufacturers website the MB is ASUS: IPIBL-LB.

Not sure whether is MB is capable of future upgrades mainly HDD and video graphics card.

Please help..

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumaravs /forum/post/14268851

Hello,

please help me decide..

I'm planning to buy HP Pavilion Elite m9300t series as my HTPC for playing and backup movies, NO games. From the manufacturers website the MB is ASUS: IPIBL-LB.

Not sure whether is MB is capable of future upgrades mainly HDD and video graphics card.

Please help..

I checked this page . The mb seems to be relatively new. Feature-wise it's comparable with ASUS P5E-VM HDMI (but the chipset is G33 without HDMI port). Yes, you should be able to use it for the next couple of years. If you choose GeForce 9500 GS or higher, you don't have to even upgrade the video card in future. Sound is the weakest part as usual. But don't buy a X-Fi card. A better sound card comes later (supporting HDMI audio).

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,519 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTJ99 /forum/post/14264671

Hi,

This is a great thread, I learned quite a bit. I had a few questions:

1. Do most people keep the PC near their 40"+ screens? If so, how does the fan noise go (I have a Tivo & that fan is kind of annoying).

2. (a little longer):

I have a this media cabinet:

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catal...ls.asp?ID=7374

I am planning on a 46" Samsung LCD that will be mounted two or so feet above the cabinet - the point being that all wires will be run from the back of the TV, through the wall, into the cabinet (I will put a new outlet near the TV on the wall).

I was thinking of adding two exhaust fans to the back of the cabinet (which will be very close to a wall).

I am concerned about heat in the cabinet. My 1.5 year old son would like the doors open but they need to stay shut so heat can be an issue.

3. I would love to run a cable through the floor & keep the PC in the garage but that wouldn't work with the wife & it would be annoying if we have a DVD to insert.

4. Was there any write up of XP Media center vs say Vista Ultimate?

1. Noise depends on the components you select. If you choose them carefully, noise is no issue.

2. Yup, the heat could be an issue as there is almost no ventilation in the cabinet. Both exhaust fans (rear) and intake holes (bottom?) may be necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/14269223

I checked this page . The mb seems to be relatively new. Feature-wise it's comparable with ASUS P5E-VM HDMI (but the chipset is G33 without HDMI port). Yes, you should be able to use it for the next couple of years. If you choose GeForce 9500 GS or higher, you don't have to even upgrade the video card in future. Sound is the weakest part as usual. But don't buy a X-Fi card. A better sound card comes later (supporting HDMI audio).

Thank you Renethx..

The video card I plan now is Ge Force 512MB 9500 GS, hope this is a decent one.

Thanks again..

2501 - 2520 of 19540 Posts