AVS Forum banner

12201 - 12220 of 19540 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian /forum/post/18058583

Nope, it's easy to climb up, but impossible to come down.

Thats what I thought...I haven't really set up my cpu that much yet so it wont be that hard of a switch but just need to find the time to do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, so I'm putting together an HTPC and what to get the "best" OEM cpu cooler that my motherboard/cpu/case will allow (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366/Intel core i7 920/Silverstone LC13B-E case). The candidates I have in mind are as follows with the reason I can't decide:

Thermalright 120 Ultra extreme - don't know if it will fit case.

Noctua NH-D14 - don't know if it will fit case.

Cooler Master GeminII S - don't know if it will work with LGA1366 (I've only seen it advertised for LGA775).

What would you guys suggest? I don't really care so much about fan noise, I just want my CPU the coolest it can get (air cooling only).

Thanks

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakshaug007 /forum/post/18058719

Ok, so I'm putting together an HTPC and what to get the "best" OEM cpu cooler that my motherboard/cpu/case will allow (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366/Intel core i7 920/Silverstone LC13B-E case). The candidates I have in mind are as follows with the reason I can't decide:

Thermalright 120 Ultra extreme - don't know if it will fit case.

Noctua NH-D14 - don't know if it will fit case.

Cooler Master GeminII S - don't know if it will work with LGA1366 (I've only seen it advertised for LGA775).

What would you guys suggest? I don't really care so much about fan noise, I just want my CPU the coolest it can get (air cooling only).

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18051654

A cooler of up to ~134mm height fits LC13B-E fine.

I used this information from renethx to check for vertical space in the Silverstone LC13B-E case.

I also did a dry run while I wait for the memory, and power supply to show up. So far I like the LC13B-E case, but it's not on their web site. All I could find there was the silver version. I got the last one at Fry's today.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubbie /forum/post/18055464

First I want to say thank you for this post and all the research that went into it,this is the treasure chest of info I was looking for.Now that the butt kissing (LOL)is out of the way here is what I ordered to replace my current aged htpc/media server.My daughters stream SD movies and music from the htpc so the server duties do not put much of a strain on the htpc.

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 Active PFC Power

Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX630WFGIBOX - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound - OEM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-2GBNQ

COOLER MASTER GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner / Encoder 1229 PCI-Express x1 Interface - Retail

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail

Windows7 32bit

Some may not like the case but I like the looks and the ability to add multiple HD's.So again thank you for the info and let me know what you think.

Should be a sweet system. I like the nMedia cases; I use a 1000b myself which is similar to the 5000b. Like you I started with a single, 1 TB drive, which I partitioned to OS and storage. This wasn't the best move. While it works OK, there are times I wish the OS was on a completely separate drive; I recommend you get a different drive for the OS. You have plenty of room in there! I now have that 1 TB drive (partitioned as mentioned) plus a separate 1.5 TB drive, but I still frequently think of getting a separate drive for my OS.... something small, quiet, lightning fast.

If your case side fan is like mine was, it will be noisy. I eventually bought this fan to replace it:

Scythe KAMA FLEX SA0925FDB12M 92mm Case Fan ~$10

Sounds like maybe you don't need a bluray drive but I didn't see any optical drive on your list. Also given the nice big case and such, you might hold off on the special CPU cooler and see if you need it. Stock cooler might work fine for you.

Marc

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 /forum/post/18058455

So I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and want to downgrade to 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Is there an easy way other than a clean install?

Unfortunately not, going between x32 and x64 requires a clean install

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
I'm going to be installing Win 7 OEM on a new build in a few days. Have any of you, who have done the same thing, run into any Microsoft activation problems?

As I understand it, they no longer accept "hobby" builders for the OEM version. At least Newegg has a disclaimer to that effect.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not sure how MS would enforce agaist hobby builders... Unless they track all "legit" resellers. OEM worked fine for me in Oct and Dec last year on two systems I built.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have HP m9150f in my living room as HTPC. The system is very quiet and sturdy, can play all HD/ BR rips stuff without any issues. Only problem is the tower case, even though it is blending with my HT set up properly (All black in color). I still feel that it's a full PC in my HT set up. I want to upgrade this system in proper HTPC case. So any of you Gurus can advice me for a decent looking HTPC case for this system.

The System specs are - Intel core 2 quad Q6600, Asus MicroATX motherboard 9.6 in X 9.6 in , 3 GB DDR2 ram, 720 GB hard drive- SATA (2x 360), 1 LightScribe DVD burner (SATA), 1 HD DVD ROM (SATA) . NVidia GeForce 8500gt- 256 MB graphic card, onboard audio (Coax SPDIF going to my receiver). It has multi format memory card reader in the front and I would like to keep it that way.

Please let me know what will be the suitable case for this set up?

I'm planning to add blu ray ROM to this, So it should take 3 external DVD palyers (1 HD DVD, 1 LightScribe, 1 BR ROM). Should I upgrade my video card? any thaughts. Thank You.

Oh' I forgot to mention, the stock power supply is 400W should I upgrade this or keep it as such? And this system comes with windows media center remote, so I think I don't need case with remote. Everything on Windows7.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Renethx,

No not a monitor...looking for a TV (HTPC) as most of what I use it for is movies, however do use it for some PC work as well.

Thanks,

DAve.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G /forum/post/18062238

Not sure how MS would enforce against hobby builders... Unless they track all "legit" resellers. OEM worked fine for me in Oct and Dec last year on two systems I built.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure you're right. It sounds like the activation procedure hasn't set up any new hurdles for the OEM version.

There might be a problem moving the install to a significantly different system, but most of us wouldn't have a reason to do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

First post here. Awesome thread by the way!!!

I'm thinking on pulling the trigger on the following:

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $89.99

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $89.99

HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail $99.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail $69.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail $114.99

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX630WFGIBOX - Retail $108.99

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail $79.99

I'll be running this through my Pioneer VSX-21XH receiver (via HDMI) to my 46" LCD TV, .

Can I expect to run HD audio into my receiver with this setup?

Any reason to believe that this HTPC and my Pioneer/46" LCD won't get along?

Also, can anyone spot any obvious parts where I could save some $$ - or anything I might be missing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks grittree - I just switched to those on my shopping cart. Anything else? Anyone else care to chime in? By the way, I will mainly be using this system to view BD/DVD rips, pictures and such, and probably streaming to to my PS3.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxBR /forum/post/18064491

I built a similar system with the 400w Corsair power supply which you can get from newegg around $35-$40 lately.

Will 400W power all these parts plus another one or two HDDs in the future?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodzR /forum/post/18064523

Thanks grittree - I just switched to those on my shopping cart. Anything else? Anyone else care to chime in? By the way, I will mainly be using this system to view BD/DVD rips, pictures and such, and probably streaming to to my PS3.

Thanks again.

That ram works very well in my msi 785

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdi8 /forum/post/18062595

Thanks Renethx,

No not a monitor...looking for a TV (HTPC) as most of what I use it for is movies, however do use it for some PC work as well.

Thanks,

DAve.

Then LCD Flat Panel Displays .

12201 - 12220 of 19540 Posts