AVS Forum banner

12501 - 12520 of 19540 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog /forum/post/18154840

Also, it seems there is some discussion of the pico power supplies on the i3 Clarkdale thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...172451&page=23

I'd just go over all those and see what people have been doing. The posts are from a month ago, so this is likely figured out.

From a quick look, it seems that you might need the 150W PSU, which has the 4 pin power plug as well as the 24 pin one. I see both the 24 pin and the 4 pin power connector on your Zotac motherboard in the amazon pictures.

The 150W PSU's power plug will not fit in the M350 case and I don't want to have to modify the case -- I am pretty good with computers but am terrible at cutting metal! So if at all possible, I'd like to stay with the 102W adapter. I'll take a look at the other thread you mentioned. Thanks, Murray.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,502
Also check Silent PC Review's Antec ISK 300-65 Mini-ITX Case review . The case comes with only a 65W PSU, but the system consisting of

- Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 65W TDP

- Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi

runs fine:

Quote:
Another quibble is the 65W power adapter, which seems underpowered, even if the target motherboards are only low power embedded CPU types. An 80W or 90W adapter would provide greater headroom and flexibility for a wider variety of components. Despite reservations, our test system of a 65W TDP Intel C2D CPU ran without issues.

BTW the above C2D system consumes 5W more at video playback and 15W more at Prime95 than my Core i3 system.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW /forum/post/18154931

The 150W PSU's power plug will not fit in the M350 case and I don't want to have to modify the case -- I am pretty good with computers but am terrible at cutting metal! So if at all possible, I'd like to stay with the 102W adapter. I'll take a look at the other thread you mentioned. Thanks, Murray.

The mini-box 120W picopsu/102W adapter was out of stock, so I went with the short-ciruit.com 120W picopsu/110W adapter. I am actually building 2 of these, one as an HTPC and one as a desktop computer attached to the back of a monitor in the kitchen like the picture below.

·
Registered
898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW /forum/post/18155639

I am actually building 2 of these, one as an HTPC and one as a desktop computer attached to the back of a monitor in the kitchen like the picture below.

That is cool, you going to do a touchscreen with that?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing /forum/post/18155798

That is cool, you going to do a touchscreen with that?

If I was going to be the main user, I would, but my wife has an aversion to using touch screens. I'll just have a wireless keyboard/mouse. I do have an old ELO touchscreen sitting around gathering dust...maybe I will try that first and tell my wife that the other monitor that I was going to use won't work with this little box!

·
Registered
10 Posts
renethx -

Frys has got a deal going on with a i5 530 / BIOSTAR TH55B HD (matx) combo - any thoughts on this mb? Is this a suitable board for a midrange system?

tia

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaboy /forum/post/18156285

renethx -

Frys has got a deal going on with a i5 530 / BIOSTAR TH55B HD (matx) combo - any thoughts on this mb? Is this a suitable board for a midrange system?

tia

I asked the same question a couple of days ago. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18128590

I had been thinking about getting this deal just for the i5 then selling the MB. But it doesn't come with a cpu cooler and by the time I bought that, got maybe $50-60 for the board and paid tax, I wasn't looking at much savings over the i5 by itself. However, if I was going to do a micro build, this would be a great deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW /forum/post/18156652

I had been thinking about getting this deal just for the i5 then selling the MB. But it doesn't come with a cpu cooler and by the time I bought that, got maybe $50-60 for the board and paid tax, I wasn't looking at much savings over the i5 by itself. However, if I was going to do a micro build, this would be a great deal.

MurrayW - I appreciate the heads up and I do recall seeing your post.

There's a slight difference with the processor and mobo in today's advertised combo - you were referring to the TH55 HD which is a more expensive board.

The mobo that I was asking about was the Biostar TH55B HD.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,510

Quote:

renethx -

tia

In general BIOSATAR mb are good and reliable. If the mb has features you need, that should be fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Renethx,

Thanks for the amazing information. I plan on buying my items today to build my first HTPC, thanks to your help and will make a nice donation for all the advise! I have a couple of questions I am hoping you will be kind enough to answer.

1)I noticed your new recomendation is the core i3 system with video card. What is the difference between this system and your other recomendation from AMD using the 630 quadcore processor?

I want to be able to record HDTV via antenna while I watch shows on two tv's at the same time. Is this possible? If so how is the best way to set up this system and what components do you recomend including the media extenders? Will the core i3 be able to handle this or do I need somthing more powerful? I am not a gammer at all, just enjoy TV and movies.

I am trying to keep the basic functionality of the Dish DVR we are replacing but we really only watch network channels and blue ray movies.

I do not have a receiver or speakers so I will be purchasing these at the same time to do a 7.1 surround sound package, do I need a reciver or just a amplifier, can you provide the correct way to hook it up form the HTPC and the minimum specs I should look for in purchasing a receiver or AMP so as to harm the digital sound capabilities from the HTPC? Do you have a recomendation for the audio equipment?

Thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
renethx,

Forgot to also ask what software do you recomend using, I have win 7 but am interested in what else you recomend to watch blue rays, rip my movies to the hard drive, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From a power efficiency/video quality perspective, would it be a significant upgrade to move from a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (with 9400 IGP) + Intel E5200 to a new H55 mATX mobo (using the inegrated) + i3 530?

Aside from the software and 23.97 hz issues, does the clarkdale processor provide equivalent video quality to the 5670 card in your latest recommended system?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkesler26 /forum/post/18161113

I have a couple of questions I am hoping you will be kind enough to answer.

1)I noticed your new recomendation is the core i3 system with video card. What is the difference between this system and your other recomendation from AMD using the 630 quadcore processor?

I want to be able to record HDTV via antenna while I watch shows on two tv's at the same time. Is this possible? If so how is the best way to set up this system and what components do you recomend including the media extenders? Will the core i3 be able to handle this or do I need somthing more powerful? I am not a gammer at all, just enjoy TV and movies.

I am trying to keep the basic functionality of the Dish DVR we are replacing but we really only watch network channels and blue ray movies.

I do not have a receiver or speakers so I will be purchasing these at the same time to do a 7.1 surround sound package, do I need a reciver or just a amplifier, can you provide the correct way to hook it up form the HTPC and the minimum specs I should look for in purchasing a receiver or AMP so as to harm the digital sound capabilities from the HTPC? Do you have a recomendation for the audio equipment?

Athlon II X4 is a bit slow, heavy, power-hungry (relative to Core i3 530). This processor is better in certain applications that require processing power such as video re-encoding. But overall I prefer Core i3 (quick, responsive, low-power, dual-core with HyperTreading Technology is good enough for many applications).

Yes, possible. You will need three TV tuners, typically two dual digital tuner cards such as HDHomeRun or AverTV AVerTVHD Duet (two cards don't need to be the same model), in conjunction with Windows 7 Media Center.

As for audio system, you will need an AV receiver and 7.1 speakers. The selection is so diverse that it's not easy to recommend a particular one (it also depends on your budget). Yamaha and Pioneer AVRs have less trouble in bitstreaming HD audio with Radon HD 5xxx ( EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's ). Connecting HTPC to AVR is simple: use one HDMI cable for video/audio. That's it.

To rip BD, you will need SlySoft AnyDVD HD. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 3 Platinum and CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra are popular commercial BD players (well, practically there are only three commercial BD players, the third one is WinDVD 2010 Pro). You can try them. MPC HomeCinema is the best free media player.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,515

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaboy /forum/post/18161292

From a power efficiency/video quality perspective, would it be a significant upgrade to move from a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (with 9400 IGP) + Intel E5200 to a new H55 mATX mobo (using the inegrated) + i3 530?

Aside from the software and 23.97 hz issues, does the clarkdale processor provide equivalent video quality to the 5670 card in your latest recommended system?

No. At idle and video playback you can save only ~5W by going with Core i3. In general a good discrete card is better than IGP. If you already own GA-E7AUM-DS2H + E5200, I recommend adding a HD 5670 card.

·
Registered
698 Posts

Quote:

renethx -

tia

Shouldn't that be the i3 530.... ?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18161667

No. At idle and video playback you can save only ~5W by going with Core i3. In general a good discrete card is better than IGP. If you already own GA-E7AUM-DS2H + E5200, I recommend adding a HD 5670 card.

Great! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW /forum/post/18155639

The mini-box 120W picopsu/102W adapter was out of stock, so I went with the short-ciruit.com 120W picopsu/110W adapter. I am actually building 2 of these, one as an HTPC and one as a desktop computer attached to the back of a monitor in the kitchen like the picture below.

Yeah, I just ordered an Acer Revo AR3610 for one of my machines. If you're not averse to the Atom processor / ION chipset, you might give it a look. It seems like a pretty good deal, and the reviews I've seen around all rave about it doing very well playing content and is small and quiet.

Atom 330 (dual core / 4 threads)

ION chipset (does full 1080p)

2GB ram

Wireless keyboard / mouse included

Win7 x64.

160GB HDD

eSATA

4 USB

HD Audio

Wireless ethernet

VGA / HDMI out

Only $325 at NewEgg .

I don't need much processing power on this machine, so I think it should work out fine. I bought mine to drive one of my TVs. Most of my content will come from my WHS. If it doesn't work out, $300 isn't bad for a kitchen computer.

One other thing to note - these are probably getting cheap because the new Atom chip is already out, and the ION2 chipset is coming soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks renethx for the reply. So do I need a discrete card for video? or will the IGP of the i3 work for this type of system and functionality.

As for the receiver what are the specs I need to look out for just 7.1 with at least one HDMI input and one output? Sorry I am very new to the receiver end of things....

I will try out the two dual tuner cards to see how it works

Any suggestions on what to use or buy for the media extenders to simply play back recorded video to another TV?

12501 - 12520 of 19540 Posts