1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.digiupdate.com/100_Selecting_HD_Display.html

Topics covered include:

- LCD, Plasma, CRT, DLP,

- Flat panels, Digital TV, Rear Projection TV (RPTV)

- Size vs. Price chart

- Technology decision tree

- Technology comparison table: Resolution, sharpness, Brightness,

Contrast, Black level, Shadow Details, Color Saturation, Moving images,

Horizontal View Angle, Vertical View Angle, Screen door effect, Overall Picture Quality, Burn-in, Computer Use, Longevity, Form factor, Depth, Weight, Maintenance $, Noise Level, Price, Buying Advice

It only covers technologies, not individual sets. Front projectors are not covered.

All comments are welcome, specially:

- fill in the blanks

- point out inaccuracies

- better explanations

I have posted threads in other relevant sections in this forum also.

Rear Projection: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=359579

Plasma and LCD: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=359580

Direct View: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=359581

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An image file was missing in my last upload. Please try again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Arun

This is great. I am still looking at options between he LCD and DLP. I like the DLP but cost is an issue. The other issue is that I cannot find a good LCD without the speakers on the side. I am looking at the 50 to 56" range. I can get the sammy 56" with a 4.5" smaller width do to the speakers not on the side. Why Sony is so s*?!#* not to offer a version without speakers on the side is beside me. Many people buy DLP for the technology and others for the size limitations. The 50" GWIII is is about 55" and both the 50 and 56" Sammy are less than 50". The other concern to me is the vertical viewing angle. Is there a big difference in this between the RP LCD and DLP? I was planning on putting the TV stand Height at 26" but do to some post on this forum I have moved the height to 22". I need to see the TV over the couch from the kitchen, but I still want a good pic when sitting on the couch. I would have liked to keep the height at 26 or 28 inches, but I was scared that sitting on the couch the image would lose brightness.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think LG/Zenith LCD sets don't have side speakers. I don't know when they'll be available though.

Vertical viewing angle for DLP or LCD wouldn't make a difference by

changing stand heights. It'll only make a difference if you really raise it high, like above a fireplace mantle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks so much for that summary link. I'm a bit concerned about the 1 chip thing, wish i could wait, but I can't.... the lcd rptv potential damage pixels is too much of a gamble for me considering it's not covered on the warranty.

I'm getting the sammy.....

THANKS!

Peggy

·
Registered
109 Posts
The problem is that I am building this stand. I can always add a custom block to raise the TV, but if it is to high I have no way to bring the TV down. What would be the highest you would put a 56" DLP?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't see rainbows in 1 chip, then 1 chip is actually superior to 3 chips - no convergence issues, less parts, less expensive. Other than rainbow potential, there is no other drawback to 1 chip.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Arun,

Great job! I am in the market for a TV and guides like these help a lot. I am still deciding b/w the 60'' Sony GWIII Vs XBR Vs DLP Samsung! Checking forums et all. I did order the XBR 60 yesterday but have easily abt 4 weeks to decide until I can get the delivery of the TV. Any good thread/discussion u can point me to? Wud say that I was earlier biased towards a Sony and now kinda looking at others too!

thanks

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bishamon and mallu2u.

I again invite contributions to this guide, specially:

- add missing information

- point out inaccuracies

- better explanations

·
Registered
557 Posts
Arun

In the display types...why did you go small large mid very large? Why doesn't mid come after small and before large?

·
Registered
150 Posts
the LCoS in my living room is not "coming soon". you claim that it's not "there yet," but mine is very much "there" with a super sharp picture and no screendoor whatsoever. indeed shadow detail was a bit better on my old CRT. but the big black box is out of my life and i've got a sexy swivel on a light weight thin form that's bright enough to watch poolside. there are good reasons why Cineos owners persevere past production troubles and inept store displays. we're not newbies to this stuff, and we love em. JMHO, of course, YMMV........... john..

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jtirak
Arun

In the display types...why did you go small large mid very large? Why doesn't mid come after small and before large?
I must have done it by mistake.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JBtampa
the LCoS in my living room is not "coming soon". you claim that it's not "there yet," but mine is very much "there" with a super sharp picture and no screendoor whatsoever. indeed shadow detail was a bit better on my old CRT. but the big black box is out of my life and i've got a sexy swivel on a light weight thin form that's bright enough to watch poolside. there are good reasons why Cineos owners persevere past production troubles and inept store displays. we're not newbies to this stuff, and we love em. JMHO, of course, YMMV........... john..
Coming soon in this case could have a dual meaning, the information is coming soon or the technology is coming soon.

I presume you have a philps Cineos.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the LCoS afficianados on this forum:

At the moment, I don't feel that any LCoS product (actually Philips Cineos is the only one I know of) has reached anywhere near the level of maturity to warrant being included in an HDTV selection guide, other than as future promising technology.

Just as a point of reference, it was 6 months of satisfied usage after I bought my 2nd generation DLP set before I felt comfortable writing a Samsung DLP guide, and even then my early versions of that guide came with a "Too new a technology" warning.

As an alternative, maybe someone can post LCoS entries for the technology comparison table in this thread, and I'll include an appropriate link in the guide.

And for the record, I believe that LCoS is a very promising technology.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GabeNO
The problem is that I am building this stand. I can always add a custom block to raise the TV, but if it is to high I have no way to bring the TV down. What would be the highest you would put a 56" DLP?
Even easier, build the stand at the height you want (I think you said 28 inches) then wedge the back of the TV slightly to move the viewing angle to perfection. You should be able to angle the TV so that the vertical viewing angle from the seated position (of approx 10ft) and the angle from a standing position behind that (say 20ft) is less than 5deg. BTW, I have done this on both the HLN46 and 56 with great results. The 56 is on a base that is 33" tall with a seating distance of 11ft and a kitchen of 16 to 30ft. The 46 is in a 48" (built in ent ctr) a seating dist of 9 to 14 ft and a kitchen of 20 to 40ft away.

As Aron points out, even without that, the vertical viewing angle in the situation you describe is not a problem, it is only a problem when you are standing 5 ft in front of a 56" TV in a showroom and moving your head up and down to see the change.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
If you don't see rainbows in 1 chip, then 1 chip is actually superior to 3 chips - no convergence issues, less parts, less expensive. Other than rainbow potential, there is no other drawback to 1 chip.
This is only my theory, but... some people say they experience eye fatigue and even head aches when watching a DLP. I think these may also be caused by the color wheel.

That aside...

GREAT SUMMARY ARUN!

You've done a lot of hard work! Your original Guide to Owning a Samsung DLP helped me make a decision 5 months ago. I'm sure this guide will help many people too.

Thanks!

Sooke

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Arun,

I really like the price graph. That displays the cost situation very well.

I would try and eliminate the opinions. DLP is not necessarily brighter than LCD. DLP does not have more saturated colors in a single chip design.

I would add a comment about having problems hiding the wires with flat panel displays on the wall.

I am not sure all digital TV's are light and slim.

I would not limit digital TV's to great PQ with digital content only.

I am not sure the plasmas always have a better PQ than LCD flat panels. I have seen a few (Apple & Polaroid) that fair very well against most if not all plasmas.

I am not sure your LCoS "not being real" currently is fair. I would not own one, but many do and seem to be satisfied.

I am not sure all LCD's have higher resolution than all Plasma's.

The whole detailed comparison is fraught with challenges.

I would tend to avoid the numerical contrast ratios. Most of those you are posting are from manufacturers and are too high.

Plasma contrast is frequently no better than LCD. I would not rate it much different.

I don't see how you can rate CRT RPTV's as bright as direct view CRT's.

Most of this matrix is so subjective and flawed I give up trying to comment on it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
RP-DLP does not have more saturated colors than RP-LCD,

except at low light levels where the cause is the differing

black level.

Also, the shadow detail of RP-LCD can be set to as good as

you want it .... if it is less than "very good" that's juct because

the owner has turned down the brightness in a forlorn attempt

to get a better black level.

The resolution of CRT and RP-CRT should be listed as "fair to very good",

and a new category should be added for "apparent sharpness"