AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3391 Posts

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,883 Posts
With other movies, and some TV shows, a lot of bass can be a little annoying to me.

Particularly if I am just listening to music played by acoustic instruments, where I know what the music should really sound like, I find that too much bass can be very distracting and unappealing. So, I think that this is one of those issues that depends on circumstances, and on the individual listener, but I definitely don't want to have the same amount of bass for everything I listen to.
True dat.

One size - trim level in this case - does not fit all, at least for me anyway. It's not uncommon that I drop the subwoofer level on the AVR by as much as 2dB because the source material is just overpowering otherwise. It becomes distracting if I don't. I would prefer not to fiddle so much with the output, but sound quality and fidelity is the first priority so I find myself having to do that very thing with regularity.

·
AVS ***** Member
9,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This thread should be in the "Sticky":)

Hopefully, a Moderator can move-it there!
A must Read! And a very good supplement to the Audyssey guide and FAQ.

It help me in my set-up, even after doing a calibration, for doing some tweaks that made my bass better sounding.
I put a link of your Guide, in many of my responses to other Members.

Ray
Thank you very much, Ray! :) I hope that will happen.

I am pleased if you and others want to link the Guide for others to refer to. That should be a little easier to do now that it's a separate thread with its own title. This is also the place where I will be making any future additions, or clarifications in the Guide. I won't edit the original post in the Audyssey thread again.

Regards,
Mike

·
Premium Member
8,321 Posts
Thank you very much, Ray! :) I hope that will happen.

I am pleased if you and others want to link the Guide for others to refer to. That should be a little easier to do now that it's a separate thread with its own title. This is also the place where I will be making any future additions, or clarifications in the Guide. I won't edit the original post in the Audyssey thread again.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the heads-up.
Already add this thread in my favorite, for easy reference:)

Ray

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
After reading through some of the calibration info and refreshing my memory i decided to purchase the mic stand as it seems like stacking couch cushions to get all eight audyssey positions is the WRONG way lol. I really didn't think it would have made much difference but hey for $40 its worth a try and if post calibration is better then it will be a cheap investment for improved results. Without measuring equipment hopefully my old damaged ears will hear the difference.

Also just recently i started using all eight mic positions vs just three before. I noticed better overall sound/detail/and separation, but also noticed the overall volume is not as loud including bass. L/R set at -3/C at -5/ side surrounds -3,-5/rear surrounds -5,-4/ subs -6 at 6db's hot. I'm finding i need about two extra DB's on the MV to equal the old setting's volume.

It's quite amazing how minor mic position adjustments can change the overall sound. There is so much good info to read and absorb.:)

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
2,025 Posts
Hi Mike @mthomas47,

An incredible body of work here Sir. This is now the "Reference" language of Guides of any kind here on AVS. You are to be Commended for your work Authoring, Researching, Editing and Organizing this massive, complex, and yet easy to understand Sub Guide!

So many will benefit from this work! Your writing skills are strikingly impressive and unmatched. You demonstrate a "selflessness" that I can only strive to emulate, but never duplicate.

Major Kudos Mike!!!!

Mods: Count me as another Vote for Sticky Worthiness.

·
AVS ***** Member
9,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi Mike @mthomas47 ,

An incredible body of work here Sir. This is now the "Reference" language of Guides of any kind here on AVS. You are to be Commended for your work Authoring, Researching, Editing and Organizing this massive, complex, and yet easy to understand Sub Guide!

So many will benefit from this work! Your writing skills are strikingly impressive and unmatched. You demonstrate a "selflessness" that I can only strive to emulate, but never duplicate.

Major Kudos Mike!!!!

Wow, Adam! Thank you very much! :) I don't know that I deserve all of that, but I'm not going to ask you to delete it. :p

Seriously, its nice to have a friend offer me that kind of support, and I appreciate it.

* Something that I want to say to everybody is that I did start the thread primarily so that a moderator could make it into a sticky if he wants to. But, after writing my first post and then copying the Guide into the second post, I went back and edited the first one. It occurred to me that we have a perfectly good thread here where people can talk about any calibration, room EQ, subwoofer, bass-related subjects they like. And, it may be nice to do that sometimes away from owner's threads. So, I hope that anyone will feel comfortable having conversations with, and getting help from, all of us on this thread.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Wow, Adam! Thank you very much! :) I don't know that I deserve all of that, but I'm not going to ask you to delete it. :p

Seriously, its nice to have a friend offer me that kind of support, and I appreciate it.

* Something that I want to say to everybody is that I did start the thread primarily so that a moderator could make it into a sticky if he wants to. But, after writing my first post and then copying the Guide into the second post, I went back and edited the first one. It occurred to me that we have a perfectly good thread here where people can talk about any calibration, room EQ, subwoofer, bass-related subjects they like. And, it may be nice to do that sometimes away from owner's threads. So, I hope that anyone will feel comfortable having conversations with, and getting help from, all of us on this thread.

Regards,
Mike
In the many years I've been posting in these threads, there have always been the occasional topic meanderings to other related topics. I personally do not find it uncomfortable/objectionable and find that it more often than not contributes to better overall understanding. Moreover, your concern for others is exactly why so many kudos are coming your way!:D

·
AVS ***** Member
9,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In the many years I've been posting in these threads, there have always been the occasional topic meanderings to other related topics. I personally do not find it uncomfortable/objectionable and find that it more often than not contributes to better overall understanding. Moreover, your concern for others is exactly why so many kudos are coming your way!:D
Thank you, Gene! :)

I agree with you about discussions just going where they go, and I like that too. We all learn from that, in my opinion. Hopefully, people will find this a comfortable place to have some of those discussions, away from the conflicts, or excessive enthusiasm, that sometimes manifest on various types of owner's threads.

·
Premium Member
8,321 Posts
Hi Mike @mthomas47,

Major Kudos Mike!!!!

And Kudo to You Sir, for such a nice reply!

Regards,
Mike

First, yes you do, a tremendous amount of work and information's you have provided :D

Exactly:)

Thank you, Gene! :)

I agree with you about discussions just going where they go, and I like that too. We all learn from that, in my opinion. Hopefully, people will find this a comfortable place to have some of those discussions, away from the conflicts, or excessive enthusiasm, that sometimes manifest on various types of owner's threads.

I think it started already:D
Understanding all pieces of the puzzle, on how they can react with each other, can help novice or someone with lots of experience, and you did in my case by changing one little setting!:D

Ray

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
+1

Yes having a neutral place to discuss set ups and or any confusion one may have with all the information provided, as well as not been chastised because someone is talking about different brands is a nice thread to have, (even if they are proud owners, but stay respectful). That been said, although it happens, i find most are very respectful. I've been lucky to have had such great interactions with many i consider friends on this forum.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Great write up. One thing I noticed is many times you refer to the .1 being the subwoofer channel. It is actually the LFE channel so I think some work can be done to clear up that confusion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
did the write up include differences for stereo setup vs movie setup?

Reactions: unretarded

·
AVS ***** Member
9,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Great write up. One thing I noticed is many times you refer to the .1 being the subwoofer channel. It is actually the LFE channel so I think some work can be done to clear up that confusion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Thank you, and that's a very good point about the LFE channel! I need to fix that. That's what happens when you write something over a fairly long period of time.

·
Premium Member
8,321 Posts
Since this thread and guide is about helping us with our sub set-up, I thought to write a little bit about how it help me:)

Having a room with acoustic treatments;
-I choose the flat setting over the Audyssey curve
LFE;
-I left-it at 120Hz
Since having towers with a very good center, Audyssey set them at large;
-change them to small, since I knew a crossover is not a brick wall, and sounded better after many experiment.
Sub setting;
-0, so no +?dB
Dynamic EQ;
-Was On as per default from Audyssey.

What reading through this guide, educated me was on how DEQ, really work:eek:
Having over bloated bass, when listening at my normal -13dB or so, I decided to try with DEQ set to Off.
Much better now, and even started to play with a dB on the plus side for the subs, and still sound good:D

This is where changing one setting made a big difference.
And the beauty about this guide, it show that no one answer, can work for all room, and reading through-it and understanding how bass interact with all other scenario (choice of speaker/room acoustic/settings), help a lot:D

Ray

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
And the beauty about this guide, it show that no one answer, can work for all room, and reading through-it and understanding how bass interact with all other scenario (choice of speaker/room acoustic/settings), help a lot:D
+1

Reactions: mthomas47

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Since this thread and guide is about helping us with our sub set-up, I thought to write a little bit about how it help me:)

Having a room with acoustic treatments;
-I choose the flat setting over the Audyssey curve
LFE;
-I left-it at 120Hz
Since having towers with a very good center, Audyssey set them at large;
-change them to small, since I knew a crossover is not a brick wall, and sounded better after many experiment.
Sub setting;
-0, so no +?dB
Dynamic EQ;
-Was On as per default from Audyssey.

What reading through this guide, educated me was on how DEQ, really work:eek:
Having over bloated bass, when listening at my normal -13dB or so, I decided to try with DEQ set to Off.
Much better now, and even started to play with a dB on the plus side for the subs, and still sound good:D

This is where changing one setting made a big difference.

Ray
So true!
Speaker placement is very important especially the sub(s) and IMO the single most important thing to get right before room correction, treatments. When combining room dimensions, elevated floor or concrete slab, wood framed or cinder block walls, surface textures, it adds up to it been very unlikely there ever been two rooms the same.

Mike having a crazy good set up including finding proper placement of four subs in a huge room on concrete was done so well, he has had difficulty making it through some movies and had to dial things down or get run out of the room:eek:. It speaks volume on his skills and how even a room like his can be concurred.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The OP was a really good read. Extremely detailed, yet written in a way that is easy to digest (my eyes start to glaze over when guys start comparing Xmax, TS parameters, port length etc, lol). I just upgraded to a Marantz SR6011 with XT32 and am impressed with it compared to standard Multi EQ which I was dealing with before.

Here is a question for the board, I also have a mini dsp 2x4 which I've not hooked up, along with REW and a calibrated MiniDsp mic. My subs are two of the now notorious EPIK Legends, which have dual opposed 12' drivers in a relatively small sealed cabinet. One had an amp die a couple years ago which I replaced with a 300 watt Bash plate amp from Parts Express, the other has the original 300 watt amp but it is about to die and I'm considering replacing it with a similar amp or bumping up to a 500 watt Dayton plate amp. I remember reading somewhere that the original amp heavily boosted the 30 hz range to get the numbers and sound the builder was shooting for. A majority of he amps in these units died prematurely with some blaming poor heat management combined with a 300 watt amp being overdriven from the 30 hz boost. I know most manufacturers add some level of EQ to sealed cabinets using a Linkwitz Transform or some other calculation. It is clear that the sub with the original amp goes deeper than the unboosted sub which only makes sense. With replacing both subs and starting from scratch not an option at this time, would it be best to:

A) Get the same 300 watt plate amp for the second sub as the first which will make them both essentially the same sub again, albeit not as beefy below 40hz? Then run XT32 for both and add a less severe boost (+3db) around 30 hz in Audyssey to help flesh things out a bit?

B) Buy an upgraded 500 watt plate amp for $250 which should allow even more boost (+6db or more) at 30 hz for that individual sub. Then EQ the two subs separately using MiniDSP and then run XT32? Will both room correction softwares play nice together or will Audyssey try to undo the minidsp correction?

C)Seal up both subs, disconnect their plate amps and buy a Barranger INUKE 3000DSP to run both subs. That way I'll have a decent power amp with DSP when I build my dual DIY Stonehenges or Marty Cubes next winter and throw the epics in the woodchipper. LOL.

I'm leaning toward C, but I am really interested to see if anyone else has ran MiniDsp along with Audyssey XT32 and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks for indulging me!

21 - 40 of 3391 Posts