AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 2528 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
https://studiosixdigital.com

They used to have a free app “SPL”, pretty accurate on my iPhone 6. Take a look at their site, they even sell separate mics.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Got around to running REW again. Kinda quick. Anyhow, these are the results. I can post more tomorrow, but the lowdown:
2 x 12" sealed subs on front wall at 1/3 and 2/3 positions. No Audyssey. Crossover in AVR set to 80hz. The question is....how do I get these flatter? From my measuring, only solution seems to be placement....need to move them somewhere else. Anyhow, each one took 8 filters......I know, that's too many....oh, well. I did use the "Stormaudio" EQ template....seemed to work OK. Have used MiniDSP before as well....both seem to work better than the "Generic" template. Thoughts?

Left, Right and both with NO EQ

Both Without EQ and WITH EQ

Attachments

·
AVS ***** Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,163
I am familiar with sub calibration. Theater has 4 x 18" ported subs run in two pairs with a BFD FBQ1000 for PEQ. The BFD is cool because I can EQ each pair, then run REW and EQ the combined output (4 subs) and EQ those also by "linking" some PEQ channels. This has proved effective in the theater even without delay for each sub in the BFD. Of course, Audyseey is run after the subs are sufficiently calibrated.

I have 2 sealed 12" subs in my 5.1 living room setup. They each have their own bass management within the Denon 4311 AVR. I was using an old AudioControl Richter scale to EQ them, but as the EQ is only one channel, they would be EQ'd as a pair. This was not ideal so I very recently got a Dayton Audio DSP-408. It is similiar to the miniDSP out there.

With 4 inputs and 8 outputs, I have more than enough availability for the 2 subs in the living room. It does have limitations however.

I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend messing with calibrating these two subs. I can get each one pretty flat individually. But when I combine them, the resulting output via REW fed by a UMIK-1 is all over the place. I mess with polarity of each sub individually and combined, change the delay of each sub (the DSP-408 has a max of 8ms delay per channel) finally getting the flattest output with both subs at 0 deg polarity and the nearest sub a 2ms delay.

The resulting graph is not acceptable to me though. Again, each sub is flat when EQ'd individually, but when combined, the graph is all over the place. What is going on? I didn't have this issue in the theater room. Perhaps because there are 4 subs, so room modes are better controlled. The 2 subs are doubling as stands for the front left/right speakers (this setup is also used extensively for 2 channel listening, mostly vinyl), so moving them is a last, last resort.

I know you will want a graph, but I am at work and don't have one handy. I do not think the DSP-408 will allow me to combine the outputs like the BFD does. (It does have a channel "linking" option, but it does not allow the linking of PEQ channels like the BFD, only the output channels).

Should I abandon the individual EQing and just EQ them combined (which would be done by "linking" channels one and two that I am using)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Mike for the thorough reply. I have contemplated all you've suggested: Moving both subs to a corner and put speakers on stands, running REW after Audyssey. I even thought of just running one sub and leaving the other as furniture. LOL. I will follow up with my eventual solution. Hey, we do this because it is fun right?
Got around to running REW again. Kinda quick. Anyhow, these are the results. I can post more tomorrow, but the lowdown:
2 x 12" sealed subs on front wall at 1/3 and 2/3 positions. No Audyssey. Crossover in AVR set to 80hz. The question is....how do I get these flatter? From my measuring, only solution seems to be placement....need to move them somewhere else. Anyhow, each one took 8 filters......I know, that's too many....oh, well. I did use the "Stormaudio" EQ template....seemed to work OK. Have used MiniDSP before as well....both seem to work better than the "Generic" template. Thoughts?

Left, Right and both with NO EQ

Both Without EQ and WITH EQ

Hi,

I went back to reread your earliest posts on this subject, and decided to quote them, although I left out the longer intermediate ones. I think you already know that you are going to have to experiment with alternative positions for your subs. Even then, getting slightly different (or even identical) subwoofers to produce a relatively smooth frequency response can be challenge. Sometimes we place subs where they look good, and in this case where they can function as speaker stands, and they work just fine in those locations. But, where that doesn't happen, we really need to explore other placement options.

I have seen some frequency responses where the measurements certainly didn't look perfect, but where I would not have expected any serious audible problems. But, what you are illustrating here is not a frequency response I would want to have. Other than to experiment with placement until you can get rid of the more serious nulls, I don't know what else to suggest. You may need to play with phase or distance adjustments again, once you try moving the subs to different locations, but I would start with a sub crawl to find the best location for one sub, and go from there.

If you can get to a halfway decent starting point with your frequency response, Audyssey can be more helpful, even without independent EQ (which you can always tweak later if need be). For instance, Audyssey can pull down some peaks by quite a bit, in an effort to smooth things out, as it did with your lowest frequencies. But, it can't really do anything with nulls, and you really can't either. You would just consume valuable headroom in trying, even with independent DSP.

The more that you can start with a reasonably even frequency response (even with some larger peaks and small dips) the more that Audyssey can even it out for you. And then, you can always come in afterwards, and add back a house curve if you want to, using room gain to help you with the total low-frequency headroom. But, I think you have to start with better subwoofer placement.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Are you still EQ'ing the subs separately? I would still love to see a screenshot of your filters. ;)

I agree with Mike that placement is going to be your only option to help your response. Have tried just temporarily moving the subs to the front corners to see how they measure?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I think you have to start with better subwoofer placement.
I agree with Mike that placement is going to be your only option to help your response.
+1

Your REW graphs are begging for better sub placement...especially the nulls! In a previous home many years ago, I was where you are. And like many, I elected sub placement to be governed by aesthetics. Eventually I had to prioritize and make a decision...aesthetics or an optimal sounding system. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thank you both for the responses. (I never learned how to multi-quote efficiently).

Yeah, the whole thing has had me scratching my head. As stated before, I have 4 x 18" ported subs in the theater, and didn't have this issue at all. These things just do NOT want to play flat in their current position.

I EQ'd them together. I see now that there was really no reason to show the independent responses of each....I suppose I did it because the drivers are different in each (they used to be the same...thought I heard one of them rubbing so I replaced it with a cheaper driver. Then I find out I had a really bad speaker cable on that sub, so the original driver may not be bad after all…..that is another story). The Dayton Classic Sub driver does not have the lowend extension of the Dayton HF sub, as seen in the graph.

I have not tried other positions yet. That was a last, last last resort. I believe I am there now however. I can get screenshots of everything, it just makes the calibration process longer (and inconveniences the wife considerably).

Keep in mind, I am letting REW determine my filters and just manually plugging them into the DSP. I have though about just looking at the graph and coming up with my own filters, but I seriously doubt I would be able to have the precision that REW does. Did the author of REW ever respond as to whether he (they?) will integrate the Dayton DSP-408 into the software? One of the last things I did was just to try to import a MiniDSP (and StormAudio) filter set into the 408. LOL. I opened each TEXT file, and they are totally different. The Dayton TEXT file is totally gibberish, while the others have values that are easily recognizable. At any rate, that was me just goofing off.

Let me move the subs and see what happens and I will report back. Thanks again.
Keith

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Hey everyone, sorry for throwing a random post among such great conversation. New avr, and have been going nuts to why audyssey XT-32 has been so uncooperative compared to my XT version in my old Integra.

After five attempts the other day and close to ten today i was loosing my mind why even after post calibration sub gain boost of 15DB's and 3DB trim boost there was almost nothing even at -8MV (i'm not using dynamic EQ). I had been trying to follow the sub level recommendation of 77DB or less to stay in the green before sweeps. This returned trim at -7, but i could barely hear anything, i mean anything.

I dont know if anyone else has experienced this but, the rumble in the subs, audyssey provides while level matching to get in the "green" is considerably louder to my ears than the cooresponding auydyssey sweep in the subs,, (is that normal?). The post calibration also has been reflecting this with anemic results.

I had been reducing Funk trim to -20DB to touch "green" before sweeps, no amount of gain or trim boost could liven things up much. Ended up doing a Marantz factory reset. This time i said F&^% it i'm going to add 5DB's to the sub gain pre audyssey so set it at -15 instead of -20, this brought me into the red at about 83DB's. Ran audyssey sub sweeps sounded more like i have been used to as before they were so quiet i felt the mic cant be able to tune to full potential.

I always use the first two minutes of "Life" as demo material to see where i'm at. Prior to the reset and hotter sub gain even with all the post sub gain boost and trim boost at -8MV i barely pulled 1amp with my subs. "After the last attempt,,,, good lord,,, as night and day as one could experience.

Post audyssey set trim almost maxed out at -11.5, so i bumped it 5db hot, and bumped sub gain to -5DB (10 db hot). Same scene was pulling 5 to 6 amps and the back window 28' away that has already had 5" of seal blown out was been tested again. Almost to much bass at that MV, kind of uncomfortable but in a good way.

So i guess (for me) putting sub gain into the red made all the difference by a bunch. No need for dynamic EQ.

Before i'm roasted for not using REW yet i dont want a bad graph to trigger my OCD when my ears are telling me "good to go" lol.;)

Edit

Following up on our conversation Mike,, i reread the cascading X-overs and will see how it goes.:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of experimenting with DEQ off for movies and understand we need to boost the bass but was wondering how the other channels react with it off and do they need to be adjusted at say a volume of -10.:)

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Thank you both for the responses. (I never learned how to multi-quote efficiently).

Yeah, the whole thing has had me scratching my head. As stated before, I have 4 x 18" ported subs in the theater, and didn't have this issue at all. These things just do NOT want to play flat in their current position.

I EQ'd them together. I see now that there was really no reason to show the independent responses of each....I suppose I did it because the drivers are different in each (they used to be the same...thought I heard one of them rubbing so I replaced it with a cheaper driver. Then I find out I had a really bad speaker cable on that sub, so the original driver may not be bad after all…..that is another story). The Dayton Classic Sub driver does not have the lowend extension of the Dayton HF sub, as seen in the graph.

I have not tried other positions yet. That was a last, last last resort. I believe I am there now however. I can get screenshots of everything, it just makes the calibration process longer (and inconveniences the wife considerably).

Keep in mind, I am letting REW determine my filters and just manually plugging them into the DSP. I have though about just looking at the graph and coming up with my own filters, but I seriously doubt I would be able to have the precision that REW does. Did the author of REW ever respond as to whether he (they?) will integrate the Dayton DSP-408 into the software? One of the last things I did was just to try to import a MiniDSP (and StormAudio) filter set into the 408. LOL. I opened each TEXT file, and they are totally different. The Dayton TEXT file is totally gibberish, while the others have values that are easily recognizable. At any rate, that was me just goofing off.

Let me move the subs and see what happens and I will report back. Thanks again.
Keith
Hi Keith

Just to go off subject for this post, I will try to help a little for doing multi-quote:)
Once sign in, you will see different option at the bottom of the post (Edit, Quote, Multi-Quote and Quick Reply).
All is needed to do, is click on the Multi-Quote you want to reply (in order of them). Then for last one Quote.
From there you go past [/quote], for each one (multi-quote, and the last quote) you want to response to. Left Click on your mouse, Click "Enter". Put your comments, and so on for each Quote and repeat the process for all of them.

Become easy after a few practice run:)

Now back to the subject at hand.

Ray

·
AVS ***** Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of experimenting with DEQ off for movies and understand we need to boost the bass but was wondering how the other channels react with it off and do they need to be adjusted at say a volume of -10.:)

Hi Zelko,

There is no single right answer to your question. It's just a matter of what you hear, and what you prefer. DEQ is a little bit complicated in its action. It is adding less bass to the regular channels than it is adding to the subwoofers, and it is actually boosting the treble a little in the regular channels. You can read more about its specific action in Section V-A of the Guide.

My advice would be to listen with it off for a while, add some subwoofer boost until it sounds right, and just see what you think. At a master volume of -10, DEQ is not doing nearly as much to change your sound as it would be doing at a lower volume level. So, you may not need to do too much in the way of compensatory adjustments, if you turn it off.

One other thing that you may enjoy experimenting with, though, is the tone controls. They are available to you only when DEQ is turned off, and they only affect your front speakers. You could try adding a little bass to your front speakers if you wanted to. Other than the LFE channel (played only be the subwoofers) the front speakers would be likely to carry more bass than any other channels. And, you can also experiment with your treble control, if you like, to slightly adjust the high-frequencies either upward or downward.

I far prefer being able to add my own subwoofer boosts, and to adjust my tone controls, in order to achieve the sound qualities I want for a particular listening session, or for a particular program, as opposed to relying on an automated algorithm to make the adjustments for me. For the most part, once I found settings I liked for the tone controls, I leave them there, and mostly just adjust the subwoofer volume when I need to. But, as with most things in audio, the use of DEQ versus independent sub boosts and tone control adjustments, is strictly a YMMV issue. :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Zelko,

There is no single right answer to your question. It's just a matter of what you hear, and what you prefer. DEQ is a little bit complicated in its action. It is adding less bass to the regular channels than it is adding to the subwoofers, and it is actually boosting the treble a little in the regular channels. You can read more about its specific action in Section V-A of the Guide.

My advice would be to listen with it off for a while, add some subwoofer boost until it sounds right, and just see what you think. At a master volume of -10, DEQ is not doing nearly as much to change your sound as it would be doing at a lower volume level. So, you may not need to do too much in the way of compensatory adjustments, if you turn it off.

One other thing that you may enjoy experimenting with, though, is the tone controls. They are available to you only when DEQ is turned off, and they only affect your front speakers. You could try adding a little bass to your front speakers if you wanted to. Other than the LFE channel (played only be the subwoofers) the front speakers would be likely to carry more bass than any other channels. And, you can also experiment with your treble control, if you like, to slightly adjust the high-frequencies either upward or downward.

I far prefer being able to add my own subwoofer boosts, and to adjust my tone controls, in order to achieve the sound qualities I want for a particular listening session, or for a particular program, as opposed to relying on an automated algorithm to make the adjustments for me. For the most part, once I found settings I liked for the tone controls, I leave them there, and mostly just adjust the subwoofer volume when I need to. But, as with most things in audio, the use of DEQ versus independent sub boosts and tone control adjustments, is strictly a YMMV issue. :)

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike,

Totally agree in the end it is personal preference but it doesn't hurt to get an expert starting point. Before I read your email I popped in Transformers 2 and turned DEQ off and added a few extra db to try and match what DEQ and my usual boost at -10 would do. I didn't mess with any other channels and no tone controls. At -10 I did notice the bass a touch cleaner or should I say less aggressive. Fronts and center all sounded clean but the rears I noticed where a bit lower although it I feel is hard to judge, how do we really know how loud the rears are supposed to be in certain scenes anyway and only more view with DEQ off could you make a better judgement. I guess it might be different at lower volumes but I don't normally go lower than -15 for my movie viewing and that's only when the soundtrack is really loud. I will definitely run it like this for a while and see how we go. On a side note going thru the guide you said that turning up bass after calibration with sub gain or AVR trim is ok to do. What I did notice is when adding an extra 3-4db after Audyssey via the sub gain instead of the AVR it did sound a bit more robust. Guessing it had to do with the extra power the sub would have over the AVR?. Thanks as always for your great advice.:)

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Hi Zelko,

Regards,
Mike
+1

The reason my DEQ is turned off.
Than again, it is a matter of preference for each individual the way it sound in there room. But you already know that:)
Some like it On, and some like it Off.

Hi Guys,

Just to make your life easier, the section Mike was speaking about the DEQ can be found here;
V-A: Dynamic EQ

Ray

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm off work today and the wife is out running around,so I figured I would look into trying to work on my subs a little. The only issue I have is that one of my subs sits in a corner of my room. I've had a "Rattle" noise that's been bothering me for a while,so I figured why not see what I can do while I have the time. Long story short I kept moving that particular sub out from the corner that it sits in to try and get rid of the Rattle as much as I can. I pulled the sub out from the corner until the rattling was pretty much gone. I was so excited! It was in a place that I knew it couldn't stay though,so I kept moving it back towards the corner until it was the best spot that I could deal with it between the noise and placement. Worked out better than I hoped for! A lot less rattling and I was able to turn the volume up on the sub just a little more for more bass in my room. I've always had good bass in my room it was just that rattling noise that would bother me. This is one of my favorite threads,I use the Cascading Crossover,and everything is sounding great. Just felt like sharing that tidbit of experience with you guys,and it just shows that moving A Sub A little can make a Huge Difference. It seems to me on this forum that too many people just take someone's word for granted and "sets and forgets" without trying things for themselves. No two rooms are the same,you have to take the time and work with the knowledge that you gain! Thank you for So much knowledge on this thread @mthomas47 and @darthray.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I'm off work today and the wife is out running around,so I figured I would look into trying to work on my subs a little. The only issue I have is that one of my subs sits in a corner of my room. I've had a "Rattle" noise that's been bothering me for a while,so I figured why not see what I can do while I have the time. Long story short I kept moving that particular sub out from the corner that it sits in to try and get rid of the Rattle as much as I can. I pulled the sub out from the corner until the rattling was pretty much gone. I was so excited! It was in a place that I knew it couldn't stay though,so I kept moving it back towards the corner until it was the best spot that I could deal with it between the noise and placement. Worked out better than I hoped for! A lot less rattling and I was able to turn the volume up on the sub just a little more for more bass in my room. I've always had good bass in my room it was just that rattling noise that would bother me. This is one of my favorite threads,I use the Cascading Crossover,and everything is sounding great. Just felt like sharing that tidbit of experience with you guys,and it just shows that moving A Sub A little can make a Huge Difference. It seems to me on this forum that too many people just take someone's word for granted and "sets and forgets" without trying things for themselves. No two rooms are the same,you have to take the time and work with the knowledge that you gain! Thank you for So much knowledge on this thread @mthomas47 and @darthray.
Glad to see Mike and I did help you:D
And also very glad you took the time, to reply with your finding and having your rattle problem solve:D

I have learn a lot from Mike Guide, and still learning as I go through life from him and some others.
As you said yourself, helping your self is the best way to learn. And Thank You for mention-it:)

If in the future you decide to move your sub/s into a different position, and have a new rattle problem.
Here's few things that have learn for my room, in case you might need this info.

- The first thing I do, is to repeat the scene of a movie/ or the test disk frequency where it occur.
Walk around the room where it seem to come from
Put some pressure on the wall/ceiling until, I found the culprit
If a rattle stop, mark the spot and put a dry wall screw to see if it fix the problem (if it did, just putty and paint is left do do).
-If all fail, you need to think outside the box:eek:
I once thought it was my Tower left woofer was the culprit, turn out it was a door knob near by. That the screws got loose.
Another one, was a movie poster. While I thought it Left surround speaker mount.

As you see, finding a rattling problem. Can be sometime easy, and other time very difficult to pin point:eek:

Ray

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I moved my subs as recommended. Keeping with the WAF, I moved them essentially about 1.5' to the left and right from where they were originally, under the main speakers. I put the main speakers on stands. Ran some more REW sweeps and re-did my PEQ for the subs. Here goes:

Subs AFTER PEQ:

Looks pretty good to me. I know you guys wanted to see the filters. I will get them, but forgot to send from laptop to my office computer, so it'll wait until next time. I ended up using 8 filters per sub, balanced the outputs, and the right sub ended up being 180 out of phase for best freq response. I think the graph looks pretty good. I ran many measurements, and level matched the subs before and after PEQ, but always EQ'd them both together.

Next I ran the Left and Right mains in DIRECT mode which is no EQ and no subs for a baseline (I realize this is a sub forum, but I think there are some Audyssey guys snooping around here too..)

Then I changed the AVR to Stereo, which reincorporates the subs (freshly calibrated) with the mains....the crossover was set at 100hz as Audyssey had previously done on my last calibration (a week ago). Audyssey is OFF:

At this point I am thinking "Heck yeah!". Looking pretty good. I can live with this. So now I go to run Audyssey. I use all 8 positions (always) and used a pretty tight mic placement technique (about 1' diameter circle at MLP). Audyssey ran with no hickups, and re-set the crossover for the mains at 90hz. No problem.

So now I decide for giggles I will run a few more sweeps to see how much flatter Audyssey got it. Yes, my UMIK mic was moved a little, but just a little. It was essentially in the same spot....not enough for me to even notice visually. This is the result:

Audyssey Reference Left and Right with subs:

Audyssey Flat Left and Right with subs:

Not great, but OK.

Here's where it gets interesting. I turned Audyssey off, and re-ran the Left and Right speakers with the subs just to see if anything had changed. Audyssey did have me change to sub outputs to level match them but it ended up being no more than 2db on the right sub. Other than that, the aforementioned crossover changed from 100hz to 90hz and the mic position changed maybe 2 inches.

Left channel subs, no Audyssey, before and after running Audyssey (Green is before I ran Audyssey, Red is after running Audyssey, but Audyssey is OFF for BOTH measurements):

Right channel, same configuration:

Finally I just changed the graph to see what happened to the subs response.

I put on a record and was unimpressed. I put on a different record (recording quality varies greatly) and again, no wow factor. I boosted both subs and equal amount via the AVR. (It had them at -10db L and -2db R even though I level matched them with REW and the PEQ before I ran Audyssey....they should have been closer than that.

After pumping the subs up a few db, started to sound OK, but still I am left scratching my head a little. I can really hear the peak Audyssey through in around 1khz (and again, I realize this is a sub forum). Wonder why Audyssey took a relatively flat frequency response and jacked it all up?

Oh well. This is a fun hobby, but sometimes things are just weird. I have not given up the fight. I need to listen to some reference recordings to really evaluate what may be happening here.

PS: I decided to break out my trusty old Radio Shack SPL meter to check the channel levels. They were all pretty good but ended up lowering the center by 2db and RAISING the left sub from -10db to -3db! Now, why would Audyssey have the sub levels so far off? Maybe it's because I have one of them 180 deg out of phase? Hmmm....anyhow, it sounds better with the subs cranked up, but not sure why I would have to do that. I may experiment with a different power amp on the subs. Shouldn't make a difference, but at this point, I don't trust anything.

Attachments

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I moved my subs as recommended. Keeping with the WAF, I moved them essentially about 1.5' to the left and right from where they were originally, under the main speakers. I put the main speakers on stands. Ran some more REW sweeps and re-did my PEQ for the subs. Here goes:

Subs AFTER PEQ:

Looks pretty good to me. I know you guys wanted to see the filters. I will get them, but forgot to send from laptop to my office computer, so it'll wait until next time. I ended up using 8 filters per sub, balanced the outputs, and the right sub ended up being 180 out of phase for best freq response. I think the graph looks pretty good. I ran many measurements, and level matched the subs before and after PEQ, but always EQ'd them both together.

Next I ran the Left and Right mains in DIRECT mode which is no EQ and no subs for a baseline (I realize this is a sub forum, but I think there are some Audyssey guys snooping around here too..)

Then I changed the AVR to Stereo, which reincorporates the subs (freshly calibrated) with the mains....the crossover was set at 100hz as Audyssey had previously done on my last calibration (a week ago). Audyssey is OFF:

At this point I am thinking "Heck yeah!". Looking pretty good. I can live with this. So now I go to run Audyssey. I use all 8 positions (always) and used a pretty tight mic placement technique (about 1' diameter circle at MLP). Audyssey ran with no hickups, and re-set the crossover for the mains at 90hz. No problem.

So now I decide for giggles I will run a few more sweeps to see how much flatter Audyssey got it. Yes, my UMIK mic was moved a little, but just a little. It was essentially in the same spot....not enough for me to even notice visually. This is the result:

Audyssey Reference Left and Right with subs:

Audyssey Flat Left and Right with subs:

Not great, but OK.

Here's where it gets interesting. I turned Audyssey off, and re-ran the Left and Right speakers with the subs just to see if anything had changed. Audyssey did have me change to sub outputs to level match them but it ended up being no more than 2db on the right sub. Other than that, the aforementioned crossover changed from 100hz to 90hz and the mic position changed maybe 2 inches.

Left channel subs, no Audyssey, before and after running Audyssey (Green is before I ran Audyssey, Red is after running Audyssey, but Audyssey is OFF for BOTH measurements):

Right channel, same configuration:

Finally I just changed the graph to see what happened to the subs response.

I put on a record and was unimpressed. I put on a different record (recording quality varies greatly) and again, no wow factor. I boosted both subs and equal amount via the AVR. (It had them at -10db L and -2db R even though I level matched them with REW and the PEQ before I ran Audyssey....they should have been closer than that.

After pumping the subs up a few db, started to sound OK, but still I am left scratching my head a little. I can really hear the peak Audyssey through in around 1khz (and again, I realize this is a sub forum). Wonder why Audyssey took a relatively flat frequency response and jacked it all up?

Oh well. This is a fun hobby, but sometimes things are just weird. I have not given up the fight. I need to listen to some reference recordings to really evaluate what may be happening here.

PS: I decided to break out my trusty old Radio Shack SPL meter to check the channel levels. They were all pretty good but ended up lowering the center by 2db and RAISING the left sub from -10db to -3db! Now, why would Audyssey have the sub levels so far off? Maybe it's because I have one of them 180 deg out of phase? Hmmm....anyhow, it sounds better with the subs cranked up, but not sure why I would have to do that. I may experiment with a different power amp on the subs. Shouldn't make a difference, but at this point, I don't trust anything.
First Thanks for all those detail graph:)

Your first one without the Audyssey engage, was very good to me. Look like +/-4 dB flat using the REW measuring mic.
Once the Audyssey was measure and engage, it seem the to have went for a worst result:eek:
And do not have an answer for this one:(

The only thing I can think about, if you use a Audissey Multi-EQ. It has a lot less filters capacity than one like XT32.
Just a shot in the dark, since less filters would result in a lesser refinement of the sub response.

Ray

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The only thing I can think about, if you use a Audissey Multi-EQ. It has a lot less filters capacity than one like XT32.
Just a shot in the dark, since less filters would result in a lesser refinement of the sub response.

Ray
Thanks for that Ray. The AVR is a Denon 4311 with XT-32 and 2 sub outputs. My next move may be to stack the subs together where the right sub is currently, in the corner. Just treat them as one 2 x 12 sealed sub, in other words. What Audyssey did to the main speakers though is baffling. I mean, how can the frequency response change that much when Audyssey is OFF on both measurements. The only thing that changed was the crossover point (from 100hz to 90hz)....but the response is different across the spectrum. Very odd.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,178
Thanks for that Ray. The AVR is a Denon 4311 with XT-32 and 2 sub outputs. My next move may be to stack the subs together where the right sub is currently, in the corner. Just treat them as one 2 x 12 sealed sub, in other words. What Audyssey did to the main speakers though is baffling. I mean, how can the frequency response change that much when Audyssey is OFF on both measurements. The only thing that changed was the crossover point (from 100hz to 90hz)....but the response is different across the spectrum. Very odd.

Hi,

If I were you, I would step back a pace and read a little more about how Audyssey works. Section II of the Guide will help you with that, as will the Cliff Notes at the very beginning of the Guide. Your subs will always sound relatively softer, after an Audyssey calibration. That is because Audyssey level-matches all of the channels, and we don't hear low-frequencies as well as those in our normal hearing range. So, we turn-up our subs, post-Audyssey, especially at below Reference volume levels.

The other thing that I think is happening here is that you are setting PEQ filters before running Audyssey, and then Audyssey is undoing some of what you have done and setting its own competing filters. But you don't want the two to compete with each other. That is likely to result in a mess.

You need to start with the best locations you can find for your subs. That is the most important thing. If that means they are stacked in a corner, so be it. Then, once you have a fairly good native frequency response (without any independent PEQ) you need to run Audyssey and see what it can do for you. Don't forget to turn-up your subwoofer volume, as suggested in the Guide.

After all that, if and only if, there is something specific you want to try to fix with a filter of your own, apply it post-Audyssey. What you don't want is the PEQ you apply to compete with what Audyssey is trying to do. Let Audyssey try to do its job, and then put a final polish on the FR if you really need to. At most one or two filters should be necessary at that point--perhaps to bring down a peak you can hear, or to pull up a dip that is wide enough to concern you.

To reiterate the most important points here, the key to a good frequency response is to start with good subwoofer placement. EQ, whether independently applied, or through an automated algorithm, is not a panacea. You want to start with the best FR you can get, then run Audyssey, and then just apply a little polish if it's needed. Or, if you really like applying your own filters, just do that and leave Audyssey alone. Let it calibrate your channels for you and then just turn it off. Doing things the way you did them is almost certain to have a bad result, in my opinion.

I hope this helps! Some of this stuff takes a little effort to get right, but you clearly enjoy the process. So, stay with it, but in a little more strategic way. :)

Regards,
Mike

Incidentally, when you take UMIK measurements in one location, that won't really replicate what you are actually hearing or what Audyssey is measuring. Our hearing is binaural, meaning that both ears work together and our brains sort it out. You really need to take several measurements around your head, and let REW average the results for you. That will give you a much truer picture of your frequency response.

Also, small deviations in mic position will be much more perceptible for higher frequencies, due to all of the surface reflections in the room. Moving the mic just a little will yield a different result. That is why Audyssey has you use 8 mic positions, which it then averages, with its own system of fuzzy-logic weighting.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Mike,
I have actually never thought of running Audyssey first, THEN fine tuning the subs with the PEQ. I always assumed that if I had everything pretty smoothed out first, Audyssey would have less to do! LOL. I will try this sometime this weekend.

WRT sub placement, I also thought that spreading the subs out would reduce room modes....has always worked in the past. These 2 12" subs have been a bear to work with though. Co-locating them may be my best option at this point, as placement options are very limited.

Also, next time I have everything hooked up, I will run some sweeps with REW and move the mic a little to see what happens, especially with the subs. I know it shouldn't change that much, but just out of curiosity.

Finally, I can't help but think the Dayton PEQ may have some (negative) influence on all this. It works, but it is the first time I have used one, and it is also the first time I have had a horrible time getting things ironed out. I could bring back my old AudioControl Richter Scale which is a crude 7 band graphic sub EQ. It is effective even though it is a bit limited however.

Thanks for the tutorials and patience.
Keith

·
AVS ***** Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,180 (Edited)
Mike,
I have actually never thought of running Audyssey first, THEN fine tuning the subs with the PEQ. I always assumed that if I had everything pretty smoothed out first, Audyssey would have less to do! LOL. I will try this sometime this weekend.

WRT sub placement, I also thought that spreading the subs out would reduce room modes....has always worked in the past. These 2 12" subs have been a bear to work with though. Co-locating them may be my best option at this point, as placement options are very limited.

Also, next time I have everything hooked up, I will run some sweeps with REW and move the mic a little to see what happens, especially with the subs. I know it shouldn't change that much, but just out of curiosity.

Finally, I can't help but think the Dayton PEQ may have some (negative) influence on all this. It works, but it is the first time I have used one, and it is also the first time I have had a horrible time getting things ironed out. I could bring back my old AudioControl Richter Scale which is a crude 7 band graphic sub EQ. It is effective even though it is a bit limited however.

Thanks for the tutorials and patience.
Keith

Hi Keith,

You are very welcome! :) I really don't think that there are any hard-and-fast rules that we can follow for most of what we are discussing. For instance, spreading subwoofers further apart may allow them to engage room modes differently, and that may improve the overall frequency response. But, it can't be a random process of placement, unless we just happen to get lucky. We have to try moving the subs to different locations, and then listen/measure to see what happens when we move them to those different locations.

That process usually starts with a sub crawl to pick the best location for one sub, and then trial-and-error to find a location for the second subwoofer that integrates well with the first one. That may be on the same wall, or on different walls--either front/back, or on side walls, or diagonal corners, or whatever.

There are suggestions for potential subwoofer locations in Section VIII-E, but they are just suggestions. It's still trial-and-error to figure out what works in a particular room, with a pair (or more than a pair) of particular subs. Where placement opportunities are extremely limited, putting the subs together can be a viable option, as long as that location has an inherently good frequency response. As noted in the earlier post, starting with an inherently good frequency response, before attempting any room EQ, is the real key.

There aren't any hard-and-fast rules about when or how to use something like your Dayton, or a miniDSP, either. Sometimes, where automated room correction (such as Audyssey) can't fix a problem, it can be useful to use independent PEQ first. But, that would generally apply to a single issue in a limited area of the frequency response. You wouldn't want to attempt full bandwidth EQ for your subwoofers, and to then run Audyssey. The filters set in the two separate instances would almost certainly be counterproductive.

Again, speaking generally, I would always try to find out what Audyssey could do for me first, and then if necessary, polish the result afterwards. A lot of time and effort went into the development of the Audyssey software program, and XT-32 is usually pretty effective at EQing subwoofers. Some very knowledgeable users find that they can get even better results by making a few adjustments to the FR before running Audyssey. But, they discovered that through informed experimentation, by trying it both ways, and it would typically be a matter of fixing some specific problem that Audyssey couldn't handle.

Most people will probably do much better just letting the automated room EQ help them with the low-frequency response. Then, if there is a problem at the crossover to the center channel, or something like that, some additional actions can be taken. This is what I would recommend for almost everyone who doesn't have a fairly significant level of expertise in this area, or who hasn't already done a lot of experimentation with his room.

Regards,
Mike

1161 - 1180 of 2528 Posts