AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing this hoping that it will put to rest Koch's claims that nothing was cropped or stretched from their recent BD release.

I used the BD captures from DVD Beaver and took some DVD screenshots to match. Some of them are not exact frame matches, but this was as close as I could manage with PowerDVD.

I've left the caps alone and saved them in Ping.

The order is as follows:

Koch Blu-Ray

Image entertainment's original release

Winstar's 60th anniversary edition

Culture Publishers/Panasonic Japanese release (burnt-in subs)

(Now that all my sources are clear, Mr. Lizardo should be happy) You know, my hat's off to Xylon and guys like him who bother to upload comparisons on a regular basis. Grabbing these frames took me all morning. Not to mention the image hosting chores and expenses. Everyone is free to use my caps for other comparisons.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Comparison 1:

Koch BD (reduced for comparison):

Image Ent:

Winstar:

Culture Publishers:

Reactions: BIG ED

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comparison 2:

Image Ent:

Winstar:

Culture Publishers:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Comparison 3:

Image Ent:

Winstar:

Culture Publishers:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Comparison 4:

Image Ent:

Winstar:

Culture Publishers:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Comparison 5:

Image Ent:

Winstar:

Culture Publishers:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Comparison 6:

Image Ent:

Winstar:

Culture Publishers:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comparison 7:

Image Ent:

Winstar:

Culture Publishers:

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
It's shocking how bad the Blu Ray version is.

The Image entertainment version looks to me to be the best of the bunch although the Winstar edition seems cleaned up and brighter so maybe it's better. I would need to see them in motion. Image version does seem a little faded.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indeed, I always thought the Image version was superior, but now that I see them side -by side I am surprised it doesn't hold up better.

All the DVDs are interlaced, as you can see from some of the captures. The Winstar looks somewhat blurry in motion, but there are no skipped frames like the BD. I noticed the Winstar release seems to be less cropped than the others as well.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The colors in the Image one look closer to how it probably originally looked. I could easily live with that one.

I'm not sure Blu-ray higher definition buys you a whole lot in cartoons, particularly when they are over-restored. I'm glad I got the Blu-ray Pinocchio but I don't have a really big urge to replace Snow White.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/16245983

The colors in the Image one look closer to how it probably originally looked. I could easily live with that one.

I'm not sure Blu-ray higher definition buys you a whole lot in cartoons, particularly when they are over-restored. I'm glad I got the Blu-ray Pinocchio but I don't have a really big urge to replace Snow White.

The resolution and colors would be vastly improved for animation which was originally intended for cinematic distribution so in my opinion if done right it buys you a whole lot more than SD could ever hope to show.

I will be buying Snow White.

The problem with Gulliver's Travels is nothing to do with over restoration and everything to do with a company which doesn't know what the word restoration actually means and probably didn't have a good enough original print to restore it anyway. From what i can gather the people at the company responsible for this mess don't even understand aspect ratio terms and why cropping is so bad.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Comparing restoration of this with Disney animation is silly.

Wait, is there REALLY any restoration on this animation at all? It looks more like enhanced VHS tape. I don't see any sign of digital remastering. Disney have great computer software to help them to achieve a level of clarity and color not possible before on film. I don't really think Gulliver can even be compared with disney animations.

·
Registered
17,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/16245459

It's shocking how bad the Blu Ray version is.

The Image entertainment version looks to me to be the best of the bunch although the Winstar edition seems cleaned up and brighter so maybe it's better. I would need to see them in motion. Image version does seem a little faded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissen /forum/post/16245545

Indeed, I always thought the Image version was superior, but now that I see them side -by side I am surprised it doesn't hold up better.

All the DVDs are interlaced, as you can see from some of the captures. The Winstar looks somewhat blurry in motion, but there are no skipped frames like the BD. I noticed the Winstar release seems to be less cropped than the others as well.

I think the Image Entertainment version looks a bit more soft compared to the Winstar Edition. The Image Entertainment version also seems a bit cropped itself (and vertically stretched, too) - especially comparing the second set of pictures.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Thanks.

After seeing this comparison I am half-convinced all they did for the Blu-ray was take the Winstar source (or perhaps even the DVD!) upscale it to 1080p and filter the hell out of it. The colours, EE and colour bleeding match too well between the Winstar/Koch to be a coincidence.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku /forum/post/16253322

After seeing this comparison I am half-convinced all they did for the Blu-ray was take the Winstar source (or perhaps even the DVD!) upscale it to 1080p and filter the hell out of it. The colours, EE and colour bleeding match too well between the Winstar/Koch to be a coincidence.

Agreed. On the Winstar cap of Gulliver pulling the ships, you can see the composite dot crawl in the red reflections on the water. On the BD this looks to be there as well, only muddied by the upscaling and DNR. It's quite apparent in motion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts