AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rear projection CRT is still CRT, so as long as the gun can pick up the scanning, it'll work. Projection technologies that don't use CRT's (DLP, LCD) still aren't going to work.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Pelican has a gun advertised on the OXM disk this month that claims HD support, but no details, and I can't find it on thier website.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a Madcatz Xbox lightgun, and an Interact Dreamcast gun.

Both work reasonably well ( Madcatz 100%, Interact 80%) with my 41" Sony RPTV.

Miklos

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought several gun games for my PS2, Time Crisis 2 and 3. I was dissapointed to find out that I couldn't use it on my DLP projector. Oh the dreams I was having thinking I could kill bad guys on a 104 inch screen. Doh. live and learn.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Pelican gun is the sniper scope that is advertised to work with the Silent Scope collection. It'll break down into just a pistol for other games but the real draw is in using the scope. Apparently there is an optical sensor in the scope that detects when you look through it and zooms in the view on the screen. It's a shame that it doesn't work for front projectors but then again for such accurate shots I would have to brace the gun on a chair (poor man's tripod). I can't imagine being able to shoot accurately from the shoulder with a large screen.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes, the Pelican gun is the sniper rifle to work with the Xbox game "Silent Scope complete".
http://www.pelicanperformance.com/index2.html

It says that it is HD compliant, but nothing about projections...I have a Samsung DLP and REALLY want this for silent scope. I have a support question into Pelican about "If this will work on a rear projection tv" but have not heard back yet.

I am not getting my hopes up, but it would be great if it worked!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Be sure to specify what kind of rear projection, though. Some people with rear projection *CRTs* have been able to use guns, but unless the Pelican gun works radically differently than current lightguns, they still won't work with LCD/DLP projection (nor direct view LCD or plasma) TVs.

So Pelican may very well think you're referring to CRT rear projection, and answer "yes", only for you to discover it doesn't work for you anyway...

·
Registered
16,553 Posts
None of the current light guns will work with DLP/LCD Rear Projection [ current light gun technology cannot do it ] .

--- Jason

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sorry, for my ignorance :)...but what is the reason for why they can't get a gun to work on the RP dlps(not including CRT RP tvs)?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Most guns will work on a CRT-based RP TV, you'll need to get the better ones to support higher scan resolutions and progressive scan if you're using a HDTV.

If you have one that is specified to work but doesn't, try turning up the brightness of your RPTV. Be warned you'll be reducing the life of your TV and increasing the risk of burn-in.

Current consumer guns won't work on pixel devices, that means display technology that doesn't use a scanning system to display the image like DLPs, LCDs or OLEDS. This is because the guns "look" for the scan trace to determine where you are pointed at, not at the picture element itself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mouserider,

I found this post on another forum, saying that CRT RPTVs won't work. Is he wrong? Here's the post:

The instructions that come with the rifle says that their website will list tvs that will work with HDTV. Last time I checked it was not there.

From what I understand. It will only work with CRT direct view HDTV. 100Hz

Rear projection tvs use 3 differet crts. It would be unable to project through the plastic or glass panel and hit all 3 small crts.

With LCD and DLP and Plasma I dont think it will work either.

Go here- http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question273.htm

it explains how the lightgun works.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello all again,

just to repeat my previous post: I have a 41" non HDTV Sony RPTV

I am not 100% sure of the technology in the Sony, but I would assume that it is a CRT based model ( it is an older model and you can set convergence on it)

Both my Xbox and my Dreamcast lightguns work wonderfully ( Xbox is 100% accurate ) on it. I did not have to change the contrast/brigtness, however I have read that doing so may help if you have problems.

( I use the Svideo input on the TV to connect the consoles - there is no component video input)

Using two guns in House of the Dead 3 for Xbox is quite fun ( I have four guns - two for each console) - much better then HOD 2 on the Dreamcast was!

And I am looking forward to Silent Scope - which should be fun as well... (I would suspect the the Pelican scope rifle should also work - but I will most probably not get it, since I already have other guns)

Miklos

PS: I use the Madcatz gun for the Xbox and the Interact gun for the Dreamcast

·
Registered
305 Posts
As I had indicated, pixel devices will not work with current consumer light guns.

Well, I've used Namco's GUNCON and GUNCON2 successfully on a rear projection screen from Sony.

Unless your RPTV is seriously out of convergence, a light gun won't have a problem registering. With HDTV or a high-scan RPTV, the scan rate and scan format supported by the gun is important, not all guns support a high scan rate or progressive scan RPTVs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just picked up the sniper rifle (and my tv is a Sony 57HW40 rptv ), and I'm having a weird issue. After calibration, the reticule seems to track pretty well, but only on the vertical axis. I can't get any horizontal movement at all. Any suggestions? If it is tracking on one axis, that leads me to think that maybe the gun is fubar, but compatible?

·
Registered
38 Posts
bickle,

Interesting...sorry I don't have any suggestions. Please keep me posted!

P.S. Is that Sony model HDTV?

thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.