AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
weekendtoy

do you have the original 80's CD for a comparison? :)

I haven't listened to the stereo layer off the Blu Ray but there is NO comparison when comparing the 5.1 Blu Ray to the original CD. The surround mix reveals little things you've never heard before, especially the inter-play between Izzy and Slash. The first 30 seconds of Welcome To The Jungle and you know you're in for a treat. It's the same but better and I can't think of an area where maybe the 80's CD trumps the Blu Ray.

I'm not one to chase re-masters, constantly trying to find that one best copy. If this were just a stereo release then certainly, at this price point, the original CD would be good enough (for me).

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It's a real great treat for GnR fans. Listening to the demos in such great quality is something special. I would love to pick up the Locked'n'Loaded box set when it goes on special. $1300.00 CAD + Tax = $1469.00 which is just insane!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
It's a real great treat for GnR fans. Listening to the demos in such great quality is something special. I would love to pick up the Locked'n'Loaded box set when it goes on special. $1300.00 CAD + Tax = $1469.00 which is just insane!

Agreed- the Locked N Loaded package is sweet :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wasn't even aware this was coming out, when I saw there was a 5.1 mix I couldn't resist. Listened to a few tracks and WOW they sound fantastic. It's a shame the BDA isn't available on its own, I do feel the box set is a bit overpriced although the extra stuff is pretty cool. It should have included the LPs and digital code for this price (paid $185 CAD). Can't wait to check out all the bonus tracks.

Reactions: JA Fant

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I haven't listened it too much yet despite having it since release day but I did listen to the 5.1 and it is pretty great. Now, with 5.1 mixes it's never possible to satisfy everyone with regards to what comes out of which speaker, how much overlap/bleeding, etc., but what you can't really argue with is that the instruments are isolated like never before and you will hear the songs like with eyes wide open for the first time.

This is why surround music is so awesome and why GnR is so awesome for actually releasing it when there seems to be little interest in the industry (again, look at the pathetic 30th anniversary release of U2's The Joshua Tree, which came out a year earlier than AfD, if you want to see how NOT to make a big anniversary edition of a genre changing/defining album, sigh).

Only complaint with the package is that the AfD studio session tracks don't include some of the biggest songs from AfD, including Sweet Child O'Mine, Mr. Brownstone, and It's So Easy. Would have loved to have those included as well, as I'm sure they exist. Maybe for the 40th anniversary super duper deluxe edition.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I mean, isn't this what we all clamor for, a MC mix of the album in an anniversary/special edition set?
Actually, NO. Many of us clamor for just standalone BDs that aren't insanely priced.
;)
I hate it when this stuff is just in some big box with stuff like vinyl that I couldn't care less about, or even when the 5.1 is on DVD-Audio instead of BD (why on the Earth they do that, I dunno, bugs the heck out of me).

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Actually, NO. Many of us clamor for just standalone BDs that aren't insanely priced.
;)
I hate it when this stuff is just in some big box with stuff like vinyl that I couldn't care less about, or even when the 5.1 is on DVD-Audio instead of BD (why on the Earth they do that, I dunno, bugs the heck out of me).
Oh yeah, make no mistake I would prefer to buy AfD 5.1 on a stand alone blu-ray disc for sure. That said, if the only way they're going to make/release this is to make it part of an expensive box set to entice people to buy it, then I will happily buy it. Of course, that's just b/c I happen to have loved this album as a kid and want the 5.1 in my collection, even if I don't really listen to it anymore (haven't since the first day).

On another note, I just found out that Def Leppard released the 30th anniversary editions/box set of Hysteria today but alas no 5.1 even in the super duper box set (which isn't even being sold in the U.S.). Sad, as that album would really sound amazing with a good 5.1 mix (although, what wouldn't really).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I got lucky and picked up a super delxue box set for cheaper than regular price, still new. Arrived today in fact. Listening to it now, it has the option for DTS Master 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1 Is there any real difference between them?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I got lucky and picked up a super delxue box set for cheaper than regular price, still new. Arrived today in fact. Listening to it now, it has the option for DTS Master 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1 Is there any real difference between them?
Post your impressions and thoughts regarding this set. :D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I finally listened to this for real, months after getting it, and all I can say is -- PRETTY GREAT!

Okay, some qualifiers too. It is "discrete" and somewhat "aggressive" for a MC mix, but overall I like it a lot. Already one of my favorites. Some may not like it for the same reasons though!

Impressions:

- Pretty discrete mix, but placement of instruments can vary from song to song and even within a song. Rhythm guitar is mostly FL but sometimes FL+FR, and occasionally bleeding to the surround channels. Bass is mostly in the center channel and some in the FR. Lead guitar is where it varies a lot. So, Slash's guitar solos often comes mostly out of the --- center channel. Yeah, no kidding! It is a little distracting since the center for the most part is bass and vocals. But other lead guitar parts, including some solos, often comes mostly from the surrounds (e.g. intro the Sweet Child O' Mine), but the solo will blast out the center channel on many songs (I didn't listen to all of them, just my favorite 7 or so). Wish the solos came out the right channel though. Vocals are in the front 3 channels.

- I like how the surrounds are not just used for ambiance, with just a little instrumentation bleeding to the rear. The surrounds are used heavily and I like it. It creates that "feel like you're there" sonic experience that I really enjoyed. It takes a little bit getting used to though.

- Vocals are not overpowering, as you might expect in a band with a diva lead singer like Axl Rose, which is good. Sounds good coming out of the three front channels instead of just the center like on many MC albums. Minimal vocals from the surrounds, which is great.

- As a bonus, the sex sounds on Rocket Queen (always hated it as it is too loud, prevents you from playing it in the car with your family/parents, and is just an unwanted distraction that's no longer amusing) only come out of the surrounds and are much lower in the mix so that you don't really hear it much. Of course, I am always hoping they'll release a version of Rocket Queen just minus the girl's moaning.

- Didn't really look into the extras but it is cool to have the music videos (including Patience... too bad it doesn't have You Could Be Mine also).

- There is some interesting visualizations while the songs play but thankfully you can turn it off if you want.

- Overall, if you liked AfD (and it was one of my favorites from childhood, bought it on cassette shortly after it got big in 1989), you will love how you can hear things you couldn't hear before, which is what I love about MC more than the surround aspect: I love hearing instruments separated out more so you can actually hear what they are playing clearly now. For instance, you can finally hear lead and rhythm guitar separately and it sounds awesome. You can hear the baseline cleanly now, not just on the intros (e.g. Sweet Child, Rocket Queen, etc.). I would give it a solid "A."

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I know its partiality my setup but there was a few guitar solos that I do remember that went to rear surround. They were very quiet and subdued, especially when they rhythm guitar was over powering from the main front speakers. Maybe if I had full towers for rears it might be better. My surrounds are very small full range due to bedroom layout

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Also just purchased this...thanks!

Reactions: drh3b

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you were/are at all on the fence on this one, the GNR website is blowing the Super Deluxe edition out the door at $40. Try using GNR10 promo code for another 10% off.

https://gnrmerch.com/products/appetite-for-destruction-super-deluxe-edition
Kudos for posting this, what a great deal. I was almost tempted to buy another set to have a backup copy as I really loved this album when I was a kid (and bought it on cassette tape when it first came out) but with blu-ray it seems unnecessary since they have scratch resistant surfaces. Anyway, highly recommend it for anyone who likes GnR at all as it is a really good 5.1 mix, discrete and good use of surrounds. Don't love the guitar solos out of the center channel (like many of the Rush albums) but it's not the worst either.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts