AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of trading an XBOX360 that I don't use anymore for some used computer equipment. I would like to use this in a HTPC.

The MoBo is a = EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

The Processor = Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 - 2.66GHz

The Videocard = BFG Tech GeForce GTX 275

The memory is = Gskill memory

I will get other parts like Case, HD's, etc. elsewhere.

The video card will use an HDMI adapter. This has me worried. Should I be?

Are there any known issues that I may have using this equipment in an HTPC?

· Registered
1,180 Posts
As a reference point you can get a G45 motherboard, e7x00 cpu, and 4gb ram for under $300. This is the basis for a well proven, cool & quiet HTPC. A H55/H57 setup would be the new kid on the block and cost slightly higher $, but perform much better should you plan to do more than HTPC.

· Registered
336 Posts
It's way overkill but will work. Only thing is it may be loud, and put off more heat then most people like in their HTPCs. If it were me I'd sell the Xbox360 on e-bay and buy new parts. This way you can pick out what you want and go with something quieter and less heat.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

So the video card will be loud. If it is loud then maybe I will replace it down the road. This could be a good learning/fun experience. Possibly a first HTPC build going towards a future "well oiled" HTPC build.

I will be looking for a CPU cooler, Hard drives, and a power supply that is quiet.

Way overkill sounds good to me.

Please add more suggs if you can. They will be much appreciated.

Lurker since 2005

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.