AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need major Help I want to purchase a tv that will blow me away in terms of picture quality! I will be do mostly hd viewing and dvd viewing! Ive seen some Plasmas and boy the Pioneer elite 42 inch sure looks awesome. What do you guys recommend for under 7,000. Are dlp better than Plasmas in terms of PQ. How bout Lcd. Im looking to get a 42 inch disply sinc 50 ich displays are a little to expensive. I want to be blown away with hd sources and dvd sources . Dvi is a must and yes i can wait for the 2003 Panasonic models. Please help I have heard that fujitsu is good are these sold at the stores! Are Dlps better than Lcd and Plasmas!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys need your help! I need info on uying a tv with best pq quality and im stuck shoudl I pick between a Pioneer,Panasonic or Fujitsu plasma or sharp or samsung lcd or should i get a dlp!

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Quote:
Are Dlps better than Lcd and Plasmas!
You need to read the posts in each section and then go look for yourself. Here are a few of the opinions you can find.

DLP's are better than anything else. (Samsung/Pansonic DLP fans)

LCD's are better than anything else. (Sony, Panasonic, Sharp LCD fans)

Plasma's are better than anything else. (Pioneer, Fujitsu, Panasonic plasma fans)

Take your pick there is no consensus on the AVS Forum as to what is best for everybody. You left out a few of the favorite choices like front projectors and direct view sets as well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Eddy,

It will really depend on your viewing tastes and the environment this display will be operating in. Will this be in a designated theater room? How much ambient light will there be? If you can control the light in the room, nothing gives a "movie theater" feel like a front projector... and you have a nice selection of FPs in or under the $7K range. If this is for a multi-purpose room, then you'll want to go with one of the options you're talking about. A lot will depend on how big the room is and where you will be watching the display from... standard rear projections can be nice if you are always veiwing from the "sweet spot". If you will be viewing from varying angles, then I would recommend DLP, LCD, or plasma. I personally prefer the DLP units as I feel they offer a more vibrant picture. The Samsung 60 inch rear projection DLP display sells for under $7K. I also personally recommend getting a unit with DVI input with HDCP as it looks like the future of HD will be going this way as well as HD DVD when it comes out. There are DVD players coming out right now that offer DVI output which allows for 1080i or 720p output to an HD that accepts DVI. The PQ from these units is supposed to be far better than regular or progressive DVD signals.

The bottom line is that you'll have to get out to the AV stores and do a lot of viewing. Compare product A to product B... bring your own selection of DVDs... see how the display handles HDTV, DVD, AND standard broadcasts. Find out what YOU like best... after all, it is going in YOUR home.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
If you've got a $7,000 budget, go big. Think 60", not 42". You can get an amazing 60" RPTV for more like $5,000 or less. In my opinion, the DLP's look at least as good as plasmas today, will certainlly look better well down the road. But they aren't as cool as plasmas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go look at the TV's yourself!..

It's a matter of opinion what you'll like. Personally I found plasmas too expensive and I didn't want to deal with burn in. LCDs looked really grainy and the blacks suck. DLP looked good to me, so that's what I got. Go out and look around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm in the market for a big screen TV as well so I'll pass along what I've discovered.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to see the picture yourself. What looks awesome to one person might not look so hot to another person.

Here is my quick summary of the various rear projection technologies:

CRT: Good overall picture but not as sharp as the digital displays. You do have to be careful about burn-in issues forcing you to watch shows in stretch modes or deal with gray bars on the sides. Limited viewing angles. If you can deal with these limitations this is the best bang for the buck.

Plasma: Great, sharp picture. Some burn-in issues since this is still a phosphor display. Displays are fragile so they need special mounting. Still very expensive.

DLP: Great, sharp and bright picture. Replaceable light source means great longevity and no burn-in issues. Some people can see "rainbows" with DLP sets where the R, G and B passes have convergence problems during high contrast/high motion scenes. IMHO, If you don't see rainbows then this is the best picture for the dollar. (Unfortunately I CAN see rainbows so these sets are unacceptable for me.)

LCD: Sharp picture with less saturation and brightness than plasma or DLP. I've read numerous reports of sets that have pixels go bad and you are left with bright red or green dots that permanently stay on. If you are lucky enough to get a 'perfect' LCD these are nice sets but I've read enough horror stories to make me shy away from them.

LCoS: Amazingly sharp and bright picture. IMHO this is the best display technology out there but it is currently very expensive. Several companies are getting ready to announce new products using this technology. For me, I'm hoping to find a good LCoS set since it seems to the best of all worlds.

There are many other issues associated with all these technologies so I urge you to browse this forum and learn for yourself.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
crt - big but cheap, good picture

plasma - best picture imho, but expensive. burn in not a huge issue unless u play games (or pause for days, etc)

dlp - i can see rainbows on 4x color wheels on FP, but I didn't see rainbows on the Samsung 507n. It was, however, very grainy at closer viewing distances.

It sounds like you have seen and like plasmas, and for $7k you could get a nice 50" no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.