AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a sony KP-65WS510 rear projector. THE OVERSCAN IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I used the THX calibration function inf ight club dvd. when it gets to the 16:9 test u are supposed to see a circle that has one rectangel around it. then another rectangel around that. than a few inches between that rectangfles outisde and the edge of ur actual tv screen. WELL all i see is the cirle a tiny bit of the far right side of the first rectangle. its absolutely ridiculous. Im looking to get an hd dvd player but i was told that before i do that to come to this forum and ask for a way to disable overscan. So anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well i just went to a few guides that explain how to fix all this adn i gotta say im nowhere near comfortable messing with some of the stuff they are saying to do. kind of depressing

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genfuyung /forum/post/0

well i just went to a few guides that explain how to fix all this adn i gotta say im nowhere near comfortable messing with some of the stuff they are saying to do. kind of depressing

This is a CRT RPTV, yes?

If so, o'scan reduction itself isn't a big deal. It's what said tweaking does to the image structure (convergence/geometry) of CRT RPTVs that is the big headache inducer.

I'd suggest locating any post here from Mr Bob (local CRT RPTV guru) for tips/suggestions. His email/website link is part of his forum signature. Or just post your questions on his 'Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV" thread. He also does phone consults for a nominal fee (nice if you don't want/can't afford getting him to you in person).

I performed o'scan reduction on my Hitachi CRT RPTV set. Took several hours over a couple of days to get the conv/geo (mainly around the edges) back in order, but it was totally worth the hassle. It now sits at less than 4% all around, according to the AVIA widescreen o'scan pattern. Found this to be a totally acceptable level-doesn't appear that I'm missing anything important onscreen at all.

Helps if you are familiar with how your set's service level convergence process works. Would suggest searching the web for a service manual for your TV. Also helps if your set allows such adjustments while actual video material (not just the internally generated conv grid) can be displayed while in adjustment mode. Some sets do, some don't.

Or just hire a pro.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genfuyung /forum/post/0

Ok i have a sony KP-65WS510 rear projector. THE OVERSCAN IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I used the THX calibration function inf ight club dvd. when it gets to the 16:9 test u are supposed to see a circle that has one rectangel around it. then another rectangel around that. than a few inches between that rectangfles outisde and the edge of ur actual tv screen. WELL all i see is the cirle a tiny bit of the far right side of the first rectangle. its absolutely ridiculous. Im looking to get an hd dvd player but i was told that before i do that to come to this forum and ask for a way to disable overscan. So anyone have any idea?

Dumb question--is the wide mode set to "full" and not "zoom" or "wide zoom"?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts