AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys im looking gto buy a Plasma tv that has dvi/hdcp interface for future use just incase of the brodcast flags! Also I need it to do all the formats like 480 p 720 p and 1080 i. Also I want the pq quality to be top notch! I want the hd picture to be superb. which do you recommend!

·
Registered
813 Posts
The new samsungs coming out (sd this month, hd next month) might fit the bill perfectly. You could also pic up the pioneer 433cmx and wait for the aurora card to be released.

-Chris

·
Registered
463 Posts
1. Pioneer 433CMX with new Aurora A303-HDCP card.

2. Toshiba 42HP82

The above are HD units

Below are ED

Samsung SPN4235

Fujitsu P42VHA20US

Coming soon:

Panasonic ED with DVI/HDCP

Other units are likely to be over your $5000 limit.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so which units can be had for a little over 5,000 that does 480 p 720 p and 1080 i with dvi and hdcp. Do the sonys have dvi and hdcp

·
Registered
352 Posts
Fujitsu P42VHA20US, the best ED at the moment. Looks really good with HDTV.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im looking on getting a plasma hd set! I feel a plasma hd set should do better with hd sourses than a plasma ed that does not do hd! Is this correct shoudl I go better with a dlp or a lcd set

·
Registered
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eddy13
well im looking on getting a plasma hd set! I feel a plasma hd set should do better with hd sourses than a plasma ed that does not do hd! Is this correct shoudl I go better with a dlp or a lcd set

There is a lot of debate on whether a HD plasma looks better with HD sources. An ED plasma looks great with HD, some say better than HD plasmas.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would not say an ED plasma looks better with HD than most HD plasmas. I would say, though, that ED plasmas look stunning[/i] with HD material and non-experts would find it hard to even believe that you don't have a true HD set.

Mark

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Fujitsu P42VHA20US is an excellent ED set than can be purchased within the limits of your budget. In my case, I could not justify the extra money for an HD set when the difference in picture quality was not evident to these tired eyes.

Pete...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Has anyone who owns a Fujitsu plasma with dvi/hdcp actually used the interface to connect with a HD STB that outputs DVI? Gary Merson, in the May/June The Perfect Vision discovered very serious compatiability problems between several of the new STBs with DVI/HDCP and the Toshiba monitor he was using which also had DVI/HDCP. Off-air HD channels were flagged with HDCP copy protection bits and Channel 201 on DirectTV that carries the HDCP flag either went to snow or sent a on screen notice saying "We are sorry, but your display is not HDCP compliant." Sent Mr. Merson into an understable rage about the whole DVI/HDCP business. Made me wonder if there may be a significant compatiability issue developing if you don't have the same brand of HD STB and display when connecting via DVI with HDCP. I posted a simialr question last week about the Toshiba plasmas which are DVI/HDCP compliant and no one has responded. There appear to be many more Fujitsu owners represented here. What is your experience with the new HD STBs using DVI/HDCP?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There are some minor compatibility issues re: HDCP, particularly with some overly aggressive set-top boxes. But my understanding is that fixes have either been delivered or are in the works.

Over time, I'd expect this to become routine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Eddy:

You forgot to say, "Long time listener, first time caller" at the beginning of your post ;)...

There really is a overwhelming amount of info on this subject, but if you really want a future-proof device, go for the Pioneer 433CMX. The DVI interface is on a removable card, and there are several card options from Aurora that support HDCP. Additionally if there are compatibility issues it will be a lot less expensive to replace the DVI interface than the whole display.

But don't take my word on it, do a search and read the posts!

-dwx

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Malachy, I own the Fujitsu P50 and use the DVI/HDCP via the Sony HD200 STB. It works beautifully! I can't vouch for other STBs, but I can with the Sony and the Fujitsu. I would have every reason to believe the same compatibility would exist with Fujitsu's new 42" models.

Eddy, 42" HD plasmas DO look better than their ED counterparts when you are CLOSE to the panel. Most, if not all, of these benefits disappear as you move back towards normal viewing distances (assuming that a normal viewing distance for you is not 3 or 4 feet). This is why the vast majority of people appear to be buying the ED plasmas in the 42" size.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Why would anyone care if a DVI connector on an ED panel supported HDCP? W/O an HDCP-compliant DVI connector, everything is down-res'd to 480 anyway, which is the resolution of an ED panel so why would an ED panel even need HDCP?

Dick

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dick,

I tend to agree with you, but I could see a couple of advantages to a DVI/HDCP connection on an ED plasma: 1) fewer D/A conversions, and 2)maybe the plasma has a better scaler then the source.

Are you sure that a HD DVI signal would be down-res'd? I don't know the answer. Here is a quote from another member, amillians (Alex):

Quote:
HDCP has no provisions for image constraint. Image constraint (AKA downrezing) is the sole purview of DTCP, the CP scheme used with Firewire, and per the DTLA encoding rules (codified in the DTCP Adopters Agreement), DTCP allows for image constraint (no more than 520,000 pixels per frame, i.e. 960x540) to be applied to any prerecorded media (e.g., HD-DVD), VOD, SVOD, PPV and just about any first run content delivery mechanism. Feel free to call DVI evil, HDCP evil, etc., but please, let's stop confusing which CP schemes do what.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jflegert
Are you sure that a HD DVI signal would be down-res'd? I don't know the answer.
I just know what I have read a number of times on this forum (see here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=256759 for one example). It makes some sense, as the purpose of HDCP is to prevent an HD stream from being copied. Downrezzing does just that, by making the signal no longer truly HD. I may be completely wrong here, as I am certainly no expert on this subject. However, I have read this from a number of different sources here on the forum, and each time it has not been disputed by others (the quote that you reference not withstanding - I had not seen it before).

Dick

·
Registered
467 Posts
Another reason for an ED plasma to recieve a full HD signal is that we don't know how much downrezzing will be done by the STB. If it is 480p, what is the horizontal resolution? Could be 720, 700, 600, who knows? On the other hand if you feed the plasma HD than it will be scaled to the full capablities of the panel, 852x480 in most cases. So in theory you could be gaining more resolution by using the panel's scaler. And as another person mentioned, a high end plasma's scaler would probably be better than one used in a STB.

·
Registered
711 Posts
David777 - Good point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.