AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the GWII on Thursday (60") and so far I'm really taken with it. I have some "umr" tweaking to do (already into that process) and it's given me great and mixed results so far. I suspect I'll be tweaking for a while.

One element I'd like to address is a way to support a center channel speaker sitting on top of the TV. I'd prefer not to have to put up a shelf on the wall behind the TV. Had I done that for the last set, I'd now have a speaker shelf on the wall that wouldn't line up with where this one needs to go.

I noticed that the set comes with screw holes for a silly guide wire assembly (I suspect 1 in 10,000 owners of the set probably bother with it) but that got me thinking. Perhaps I could create a shelf to attach to those holes to support a stand to hold the speaker.

It would be shaped like this:

_____

|

|

|

The right edge of the horizontal could be secured with the wire supports (which mean it'll attach right behind the top lip of the TV) and the bottom edge of the vertical could have a cushion ring on it to keep from making noise and to settle into the set well. Do you think this sort of solution would work? Is it a bad idea?

Where might I find something like this? Organized Living sells various sized metal shelfs and such and might have something like this but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not following? That's not a center channel then. I already have a very good Center Channel speaker that I like and that is matched to the rest of my system.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
It all depends on where your left and right speakers are. If your room is >6 feet wide, have your left/right speakers around 3' or so to each side of the GWII, then wire BOTH small speakers to one channel and place them under each side of the screen.

I am/was/? going to get a GWII but I it would fill my entire nook area above my fireplace top to bottem thus no center channel under or above. My room is plenty wide so my l/r speakers are out a ways from my current dinky TV. The only way to have a center channel would be to do what I posted above or place a speaker stand in front of the whole thing, which would be ugly.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my setup is a bit different. The wall this is on is short, thought the room isn't. The L&R speakers need to pretty much go directly next to the TV as that wall is broken up by an entry way to three other rooms.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As pointed out in a previous similar thread, putting any significant weight on the top of the TV could flex the frame and distort the screen. Of course, if you're lucky, it might correct any pishcushion distortion you might have.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't really considered that. My center isn't all that heavy but with the shelf and the speaker it could be a bit of a problem.

I also could not find this thread you mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.