AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GW II goes to the brink...

2K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  Agrajag 
I really feel fortunate after reading a lot of these posts. I thought my cable signal was average at best, it is just basic Comcast cable, but it looks really good to great on my GWII 50".

I watch it in 'Standard' mode with the color temp set at 'Neutral'. The tweaks in 'pro' mode actually made it a tad too dark and grainy. Interesting. The hockey games last night were great looking. I even watch my SD in 'Wide Zoom' and the PQ was way more than acceptable.

I would be REALLY surprised if my basic cable signal was THAT much better than everyone else's, but I guess it has to be, especially when UMR's tweaks actually make it slightly worse (again, PLEASE take no offense at my opinion of UMR's tweaks, they just did not improve anything for me and in comparison, make SD look grainier and darker, not a 'bash' on the tweaks, just a fact for me).

Maybe I got a GWII with different/newer factory store service menu settings !?!?!? I HIGHLY doubt that, but I can't figure out why else I have NO issues with SD and the tweaks don't make improvements.

Oh well...

"c) not very sharp. I have not seen this one commented on much. "

I just cannot believe this. My 50" is so damn sharp I can't believe what I am looking at sometimes.

I do not even have HDTV. On 'Vivid' mode with the sharpness at about 25%, a good looking DVD is so sharp and crisp I shudder to think what an actual HiDef display will look like.

What type of DVD player are you using along with what type of connection ???

As for the 'blur', I notice it SLIGHTLY on very fast moving images on regular TV and some games, but IMO it is very slight and actually gives things a somewhat cinematic look. I actually like it !!! I kid you not. Although, if it were as bad as you seem to be perceiving it, I would not like it. I have not seen it on any DVD's though.

The 'washed out' look is just par for the course but again, to me it is not a problem. I rarely notice it and it is a fine trade of for the incredibly sharp and clear picture I get most of the time. Again, I am watching all DVD's and games in 'Vivid' mode under the 'Cool' temp setting and the contrast and colors are improved significantly under these settings !!!!!!!!!!!

So you are not going to try the 50" ??? :(

I really think that your 60" is way to big for your viewing distance. It would be different if it were a CRT based set, but with these LCD's, the 'sweet spot' is definitely back a few feet. I can't remember if you are unable to move your setup back a few feet. But, if you can...

Like we had discussed, I had a 65" Toshiba CRT and sat about 9 ft. and it was fine. Sitting 9 ft. from my 50" GWII is not. Moving back to 12 ft. is perfect. You could get away with 9 to 10 ft. with the 50" but to me is got even sharper and smoother after 10 ft. I just can't imaging the 60" at 9 ft. I totally think that with your current viewing distance, your expectations, and your comparisons with your tube XBR, it's no wonder you are not enjoying this set !!!! I don't blame you in the least. I would probably have the exact same opinion.

Well, we'll miss you an the GWII threads. ;)

But I hope you find the Elite a much better fit for you. They are very nice sets, that's for sure.

What size did you end up with ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.