AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this is my first post here and I want to thank all those who share their knowledge with those of us needing insight. I have read numerous post in the past and have always learned something, so again thank you!

Now to my question,

I have a GW III (KF-50WE610), as I am sure you know it has one DVI input.

My Samsung HD931 DVD player has DVI out.

My Comcast HDTV Cable box -Pace (DC-550P) has DVI out.

So the question is this, which would you connect using component and which using DVI and if time allows, why?

Thanks in advance,

Crichton

EDIT: I did check multiple other GWIII threads, I did not see this question asked and answered, so excuse me if it has been addressed before.

·
Registered
134 Posts
as the DVI color output (pc dvi stanard) of the Samsung HD931 is not compatiable with the GWIII (dvi video standard), you do not want to use the 931 dvi output.

while your cable box has a dvi output, it may not be enabled, so you may still have a free dvi input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for the advice, I will try the set-up with

Cable =>Dvi => GWIII

DVD=>Component=>GWIII

And see how it works.

I had no idea about the HD931 DVI not being compatible with GWIII so thanks again!

·
Registered
162 Posts
well...yes the sammy uses the wrong standard (it is still compatable, it just crushes blacks and whites...but your gwIII does that anyway..well...just the blacks as far as i know)...but you must you the dvi if you want any of the features you bought the player for. Component does not do 720p and bypasses the faroudja. Most people, including myself, don't notice a diff with cable via dvi. YMMV but definatly use the 931 via dvi or return it.

- JB

·
Registered
79 Posts
mrkaos

What do you mean when you say that if "Component does not do 720p and bypasses the faroudja"

Why would anyone by a machine with farouda if hooking up via component bypasses the farouda.

Im still somewhat of a newbie, so please bear with my ignorance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
they player follows the dvd forum's guidelines of only allowing component to output 480p. If you want the upcon ability of the player, you must use dvi. It truly is a dvi only player, I don't know why they even have the other outputs on it. I guess if you take it over somewhere where they dont have dvi..

- jB

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks, understood mrkaos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.