AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today and tomorrow (ends 12/9 per the sticker below the TV ... don't know when the sale price began, but I saw it today and it said through 12/9), the Circuit City in Lewisville, Texas has the KF-50XBR800 (GWII) for $3519.98 ... and I think the 60" is $42 hundred something. The salesman says the local competition from Ultimate Electronics, Tweeter, and Best Buy means they sometimes tag things lower than CC's in other parts of Texas.

Make them an offer ... or use it to price-match at Tweeter, which has a 5-year extended warranty for less than CC's 4-year extended warranty (which was one of the two reasons I bought mine at Tweeter -- the other reason was that CC didn't have them in stock yet, nor did the Tweeter across the street in Lewisville, so I went to the Tweeter in town that DID have one on the floor -- and bought it).

I bought mine at the Tweeter at Southlake, TX (past Grapevine, off of 114, toward Roanoke), my salesman's name is Tom Justin, and he has been very good re: working with me on testing the TV in the store (he's pretty knowledgeable, too, but appreciated the knowledge I brought to the store with me), and getting the replacement TV (not in the warehouse yet, though), due to the green circle of bad pixels I recently noticed. He told me per my phone call from CC that he's going to knock $80 off my Tweeter bill (I paid $3599), per their 60-day low price guarantee, to match today's CC price.

If you go to the Southlake, TX, Tweeter, ask for Tom and tell him Eric Weiss sent you.

The GWII was the hands-down winner for out-of-the-box brightness and sharpness compared to the other RPTVs near it: a Hitachi UWX, last year's Sony 57HW40, this year's Sony whatever-the-number is, and an RCA. I compensated for the smaller XBR size by standing further away from the other TVs, but it was obvious that the XBR was sharper and more detailed on HDNet (crystal-clear lettering) and the ICE AGE DVD (progressive input) they were playing. Yes, it fell short when it came to the cave scenes with low contrast -- that grayish haziness/lack of contrast -- but in the outdoor snow scenes of ICE AGE the XBR's picture jumped off the screen in comparison to the others -- this TV did better in the bright store lights than these other TVs' (anti)glare screens.

I am sure that if CC had had the Samsung 507, it would have looked great, too. But they don't/didn't.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Frys over in the Garland/North Dallas area has a 50" on display for very close to the same price you state above. It was very badly tweaked, of course. I worked on it a bit but still wasn't happy with the HD picture: of course, I don't think their source is wonderful either....

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
HI guys, and thanks for that info. CC sold me a 50 at $3250.00 plus hundred dollar giftcard. This tv costs them $2600.00 You have way more room to work with to get your money's worth

cheers

Aleic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Suzook, Please, oh please can you email me a copy of your Circuit City receipt. I have tried a number of times with no luck, to get the GW 50 for around what you paid. A reciept from another Circuit City may do the trick though.

Thanks

Jay Boudreau
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great negotiating job, to get $3250. By the way, the price at the Lewisville CC is $3519.98 on the 50" through 12/16 -- and $4249.98 on the 60" through today, 12/10.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm also trying to get a great price on the GWII. A receipt by anyone would be greatly appreciated. If I can return the favor @ anytime, I would be happy to do so.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
FWIW, the 50GWII costs them a shade over 2800 and the 60 is a shade over 3300. They certainly won't give you that price, but you can use it as a bargaining chip to get some nice cables, power centers, warranty, etc. if you like...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
Great negotiating job, to get $3250. By the way, the price at the Lewisville CC is $3519.98 on the 50" through 12/16 -- and $4249.98 on the 60" through today, 12/10.

Thanks for the headsup on the CC price eweiss. I just price matched and ordered the GWII 50" from ultimate in lewisville. 3250 would've been nice, but as hot as HDTVs are in the metroplex right now, I'm not too sure how much lower they would go......It will take a little while to get here, but I don't mind waiting for it, as all of the warranties/pricematch policies will not kick in until I take delivery. ..... quick questions for you eweiss, did you apply umr tweaks after you calibrated using AVIA? What was the recommended burn in time for the GWII again? Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I'm swapping it (green circle of pixels -- dust likely, but also store's TV displayed better focus/LCD alignment per AVIA than mine, so I'll still swap it rather than just blow out the dust), I did very little.

Recommendation is turn it on and leave it on for 80-100 hours to let the bulb settle to a consistent color output (takes 80-100 hours for this). Also, tests by bulb manufacturers apparently show that when you first turn the bulb on, leaving it on for a l-o-n-g time extends its life -- must be something with conditioning the filament or something.

Enjoying STUART LITTLE 2 on DVD tonight.... cute flick. Loved it in the theater with our granddaughter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.