Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am expecting the TV in about an hour or two. Just wanted to ask the experts some questions. :)

I am a little afraid of going into the service menu. Are UMR's tweaks difficult ? I printed out the instructions but they are not very clear to me. Maybe it will make sense once I am in the SM !?!?!?

Is regular cable really that bad on these sets ??? I am not too picky about that but am a tad nervous. Are people being overcritical ?

I am returning a 65" Toshiba HDX for this TV. Will the SD signal look that much worse. It looks fine on my Tosh right now. I think I get a pretty decent cable signal already.

In reading the' UMR does GWII' thread, I am not totally clear on which SM settings increase the black level. Since I am scared of the service menu, which tweaks would most everyone deem critical to make right off the bat ??? The lack of deep blacks and the softness of the picture were the only noticeable 'quirks' the I saw in this set after much viewing in multiple stores. So these are the only main things I would be interested in improving right now. I am just not exactly clear on which setting changes to make to possibly improve these.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If cable looked ok on the 65 it should look even better on this set. I have no complaints about my 50 at all. Regular cable looks good. Definitely do UMR's tweaks. They make a huge difference. You'll get the hang of it once you're in the service menu. Just be sure to write down the original settings before changing anything. Good luck and enjoy your set!!!

Jason

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason.

Yeah, I have to remeber to write down the original settings. Thanks for the reminder !

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Before entering the Service Menu, do yourself a favor and download the Service Manual (Page 15 of umr does GWII post). Take the time to digest it and understand it before doing the service menu tweaks. You'll thank yourself later. There ARE different parts of the manual for the 50 and the 60.

As a side note: When you do the SM tweaks, they are NOT evident upon changing the values. You must save, then leave the "picture mode" (vivid, standard, pro, mild) you are in and re-enter it. You can do this by hitting the "picture" button on the remote. The changes in the tweaks are evident and impressive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright,

Just got my GWII 50" about an hour ago.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of the box, with some user menu adjustments, this thing is INCREDIBLE !!!

I am sorry, but for those who complain about it being unwatchable with SD signals, you are being WAY too picky. My SD signal is fine to good. Not quite as good as my 65" Toshiba, but no where near as bad as people can make it out to be. This is just my regular cable signal.

DVD's look absolutely stunning. I have never seen a TV so damn crisp for under $5k.

My X-Box games are what floored me the most. It is like a whole new system from what is was like on my Toshiba 65HDX82. I thought they looked great on that. I didn't even realize just how good they can look. I swear I am not just over excited about my new set. The difference is unreal !

No dead or stuck pixels so far (at least as far as can tell). I don't plan on inspecting with a microscope either. How long before I am 'in the clear' so to speak with the possibility of a bad pixel ???

When do most show up ? Right away ? or over a long period ?

Anyway, I hope to get enough courage to go for UMR's tweaks (the black level can definitely still be improved but for right now it is more than acceptable), but I am already in awe !

:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
spooky

I just got a 50" GW I have PS2 hooked up to it with component cables. I was thinking about getting a xbox does the image from your 16:9 480p games fill the entire screen or are you left with a black strip on one or both sides of your screen. The reason I ask is my PS2 does not scale the image correctly on my screen and I am left with a 1/2" black strip on the left of my screen. I don't know if you have a PS2 to compare it with but if you do have you noticed a huge difference in PQ from 480p xbox games and 480p PS2 games. I am trying to choose between a Gamecube and a Xbox I want to get something that will look noticeably better then the PS2 when it comes to graphics.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BBYRNE,

X-Box DOES fill the screen correctly on all games I've tried so far, 16x9 or not.

My GamneCube does not fill properly either on some games.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.