AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking delivery of my new 60" GWII late this week and have to decide by then if I want to purchase the extended warranty from Ultimate Electronics. I was planning on using that money to buy PS DVD player.

I have the choice between the 4 year and 5 year. Are these worth the extra money? If so, what do you recomend for the length?

Any experiences or opinions would help since the store is making such a hard sell.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any new Sony product is eligible for a Sony partnership warranty.

Call Sony customer relations and get their price before you accept the

extended warranty offered by the dealer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Back in 1996 when I bought my Sony 53XBR45 RPTV, it came with a 1 year Sony warranty. I did not buy an extended one. About 1.5 months before the end of the standard warranty, I received a letter from Sony asking if I wanted to extend the warranty for three more years. The price was reasonable, so I did.

The point is, you don't have to decide now about an extended warranty. In your case, you are getting one from Ultimate Electronics. How well do they handle their warranties? Will they still be around in a few years? My warranty was from Sony, and I knew they would be around if I needed support (I had two problems during the 6.5 years I've owned the set).

The GWII has a standard two year warranty. I would give my self that much time to decide what to do. Who knows, you might decide to upgrade to the latest technology in two years. The extended warranty would have been useless then.

By the way, I just purchased a GWII and I didn't purchase an extra warranty. In fact, the store I bought it from never even mentioned one.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kwolfman
Back in 1996 when I bought my Sony 53XBR45 RPTV, it came with a 1 year Sony warranty. I did not buy an extended one. About 1.5 months before the end of the standard warranty, I received a letter from Sony asking if I wanted to extend the warranty for three more years. The price was reasonable, so I did.

The point is, you don't have to decide now about an extended warranty. In your case, you are getting one from Ultimate Electronics. How well do they handle their warranties? Will they still be around in a few years? My warranty was from Sony, and I knew they would be around if I needed support (I had two problems during the 6.5 years I've owned the set).

The GWII has a standard two year warranty. I would give my self that much time to decide what to do. Who knows, you might decide to upgrade to the latest technology in two years. The extended warranty would have been useless then.

By the way, I just purchased a GWII and I didn't purchase an extra warranty. In fact, the store I bought it from never even mentioned one.
The GW II (KF-50XBR800 and KF-60XBR800) has a ONE-YEAR warranty. I think the only XBRs that Sony gives 2 years on are the direct-view, i.e., 40XBR800, 36XBR800 and the 34" 16:9 XBR.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I ended up getting the extended warranty in exchange for a 10% discount on the 60XBR800 and Bello stand and free installation. I don't think a one year warranty is long enough for a $4500 TV so I didn't mind taking the extended warranty though I normally decline them.

I am confident that I will be keeping this TV for at least 5 years, maybe 10. My old TV is 10 years old and my DVD player is 5. I don't plan to replace my DVD player anytime soon (it is the Sony DVP-7000)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hello,

I have 5 years experience with 50" Sony LCD RPTV's. The Grand Wega was not the first. I have owned 3 of these, two presently + 60" GWII. Sony had some occurance of strange green and Pink fog's developing on these LCD's which in some monitors required replacemnets. They are also prone to dust on the LCD chips causing severe PQ problems. My advice, get the Warranty. I never buy warranties, but if you see the repair bill for one of these you'll choke. I bought one for mine.

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigequipment1.shtml

Les

·
Registered
550 Posts
I paid $4999 for 60" with five year warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.