AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question- didnt find in the search here...

Does anyone know if the Circuit City ext. warr. covers bulb replacement for GWII? ... or for that matter any other EW that you can purchase that does so...?

TIA

(awaiting delivery of GWII 50)--- edit: has arrived!

· Registered
55 Posts
doubt any ew plan will provide bulbs. it's like asking a car company to pay for replacement of brake pads and belts with the warranties.

however, i was able to get my retailer to throw in a bulb on top of a 3yr ew plan at no additional cost.

· Registered
75 Posts
CC salesman told me bulb (for GWII) was covered under warranty - and that CC would come and install it for free. He tried to convince me that it was inevitable that it would blow within warranty period and that getting the bulb for free meant the warranty only costs about 1/2. I am on the fence about buying the set.

· Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cBandit
CC salesman told me bulb (for GWII) was covered under warranty - and that CC would come and install it for free. He tried to convince me that it was inevitable that it would blow within warranty period and that getting the bulb for free meant the warranty only costs about 1/2. I am on the fence about buying the set.
That seems the truth:

Here are the Facts:

The bulb costs $219. (I called Sony and asked)

The bulb WILL need to be replaced. This is considered normal, and not covered under the MFG warranty (Sony coverd bulb only 90 days) much like brake pads are not covered under a new car warranty. They are consumable or expendable goods designed and expected to need to be replaced. Only if extreme circumstance occur (like first 90 days) would the bulb be covered.

The bulb should be replaced between 4000-6000 hours, which for most people means that they would use about 2 bulbs in a 4 or 5 year period.

Take costs of 2 bulbs ($440) and weigh it into your decision to purchase the ESP plan (CC is $519 for 4 years)

Your not really paying that much for 4 years of coverage IN HOME SERVICE after you assume the cost of the bulb.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the replacement of the bulb is not a real event or need and dismiss the idea of having to replace it. The need to replace the bulb is very real.

CC has probably the best extended warranty coverage around, they really bend over backwards for thier customers who buy the plan and need service and help, and will replace or refund if needed to make the customer happy.

I have also heard that the optical block that so many members on this board have had replaced due to failing pixels costs over $1000 and Sony really does not cover it.

The deal and the price seems fair considered the extra backing that CC brings to the table that most other places don't, which includes the bulb and no lemon for 4 years.

Whether or not you decided to buy the set, or buy the coverage is really up to you... There is no right or wrong answer to be found.

· Registered
75 Posts
Where did you get your facts on expected bulb life? I had heard the bulb life was 8,000 - 10,000 hours. At 6 hours per day, every day (which is alot IMO), you'd watch TV about 2,000 hours per year (8,000 hours at 4 years). I'd rather have the extended warranty exclude the bulb, and pay $200+ less for the warranty, rather than take the crap shoot that my bulb would die. With bad luck, a bulb would hold out for a little over 4 yrs and the replacement would die 91 days later ;)

cBandit

· Banned
29,681 Posts
Bulbs can and do blow out ....

I saw one blow with my own eyes... It was a loud noise and the screen went dark.

TV was almost new.

Sony even includes a warning about the possibility of this in the paper work that comes with the TV. It's a magenta colored paper if I can remember. Perhaps a GWII owner can dig it up...?

Coverage on the Bulb only make sense to me. Why buy an extended warranty and not have it cover the bulb?

To me that's just penny pinching too much...

If I was to buy a service plan, I would expect it to cover everything and minimize my frustations, not pick and chose what is covered and what is not. I am not a fan of the "fine print".

The quality of the service contract and the quality of the service contract provider are the most important things to looks at when determining if an extended service plan is worth it. Most times these internet predator warranty companies cover almost nothing, or exlcude a certain region of the country (like the state of Maine) but you don't find this out untill you need service work done.

I guess you get what you pay for in life and a service contract is no different.

If I was going to buy a service contract I would want to buy a good one... otherwise what's the point of buying it?

My time and frustration matter most to me, if the contract is not a "no hassles" type service plan than I am not interested in it. I can afford the repair bill, I just can't afford the frustration that goes along with arranging a successful repair.

my .02 cents

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on what I have heard- sounds like a cheaper (than $500) plan for 5 years -THAT COVERS BULB - is a good bet. (i.e. Strong likelihood of failure by then.) Any good recommendations.

Thanks for comments.

· Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
I had heard the bulb life was 8,000 - 10,000 hours.
This figure is rating at over a continuous and constant period, how ever we normally turn off the television after watching, and so we have to turn it back on next time, these action will shorten the bulb life. My old LCD projector bulb KL-W9000 blew after two and half years.

· Registered
104 Posts
Is there a possibility that the bulb needs replacing due to fading or colorization before it blows itself? Might be harder to get this covered under EW.

· Registered
75 Posts
Mfusick:

Quote:
Coverage on the Bulb only make sense to me. Why buy an extended warranty and not have it cover the bulb?
The only reason I would consider an extended warranty is because of the "bright pixel" issue. I view extended warranties the same way I view insurance - I only buy it to cover myself from losses that I cannot afford. I can afford a new $220 bulb every few years - but couldn't (or maybe that's wouldn't) be willing to replace a $5000 TV that I hated because of a neon pixel that appeared three days after getting the set. (I think Sony should rethink its policy on stuck pixels that can be seen from over 8ft. away)

I appreciate and understand your view that if you are going to buy an extended warranty, getting a comprehensive one that will cover this expensive bulb is a good thing. However, although some contributors here have reported purchasing extended warranties on new technology sets and saving themselves dollars, purchasers should understand that extended warranties are hugely profitable for the seller. That's why they push them so hard when you make a purchase. If you can afford the loss on a small percentage of items you purchase, I think it's better to keep the money you would have paid on extended warranties and just pay for repairs (or replace items) as they break. Just my $.02.

cBandit

· Banned
29,681 Posts
My point was that if you are going to have to buy two bulbs at $220 a pop...(thats $440 ) and the warranty covers it.... It's almost a NO BRAINER.

Fact is that you NEED to replace the bulb anyways to make the tv work...

So anything above the costs of Two bulbs for five years coverage is a good bet.

519$ - (two bulbs $440) is only $80.

So if you have to spend $440 anyways.... why not spend an extra $80 and know your all set for five years from a reputable dealer like Circuit City (CC ESP is $519 so I used that example but other places are about the same)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.