AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've confirmed that the GWII 60" creates interference with certain Klipsch center speakers. My SC-1 sits just below the TV, and it buzzes when the TV is on -- no other components being on, and it buzzes even if there are no speaker wires connected. Turn off the TV, no buzz. Move the speaker away by 2-3 feet, no buzz.

Took the SC-1 into UE for exchange: First we confirmed that it buzzed with their GWII floor model. Then we brought over another SC-1, and it buzzed. Then we brought over a Klipsch Reference series center (RC-3, I think), and it buzzed.

Tried out a Boston Acoustics center (VR-910, I think), and NO problem.

What to do? When I purchased the Klipsch setup, UE said it out-classed the competition in its price range including the BA. Other than the buzz, I really like the Klipsch. The buzz is only audible if you put your ear right up to it. It's not volume-sensitive. I'm tempted to just keep it. What would you do/recommend? I paid about $1000 for the speaker setup below. My 30 day satisfaction guarantee is just about up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You might be able to put the Klipsch speaker BEHIND the TV, high enough that it's away from the source of the buzz-causing magnetic interference, and adjust the delay on the center speaker as needed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a Klipsch KLF C7 center speaker, no buzz, sitting comfortably under the GW, inside the stand of course. Sorry to hear about your problem. Can't imagine what magnetic sources or coming from the set, other than its own speakers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
We've had a magnetic field interference problem on a product we were engineering where I work. We used a "mumetal" sheet to shield the magnetic field. Mumetal is made up of around 85% nickel and 15% iron, both materials have a great attraction to magnets. Its designed to be placed between the source of interference and the item you want to filter. The material works great for magnetic fields. Its what they use in speakers to make them "magnetically shielded". I'm not sure where we purchased it from but you could certainly search the web for "mumetal" and come up with something. If the interference is an electronic field this will not be effective though.

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.