AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure I completely understand the DVI input on the GWII TV.

From reading some posts, it appears that the GWII converts a DVI input signal from digital to analog. Is this normal ? Do most TV's do this ? I am currently exchanging a Toshiba 65HDX82 for a 50" GWII . The Toshiba has a DVI input as well and I don't know if that converts to analog or not. Am I losing DVI quality with the GWII ? Not a big deal but I am curious.

Also, (big time newbie question here), with the GWII, if I want to hook up my PC using the DVI input, I assume that I need a graphics card with a DVI output, correct ? And, does the digital to analog conversion reduce the PC hookup quality ?

What is a good, cheap graphics card that has a DVI out ? I have a really old PC that I don't really care to put much $$ into but would be nice to use it to surf the web on the GWII. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Spooky,

First off, you may also want to take a look at the HTPC forum. There's lots of info there as well (as in this forum) on hooking up a PC through DVI.

I've heard that the Samsung DLP sets don't convert DVI to analog before display. However, I don't have a Samsung and haven't looked the its schematics so I can't give you 100% guarantee on that.

Hooking up an HTPC to a GWII through DVI works pretty well, that's what I'm using. My setup uses an ATI 9700, but people have reported good results with cheaper ATI cards, as long as it has a DVI output. In contrast, people report problems using NVidea cards, so it's probably a good idea to stick to ATI (take a look at the ATI 8500, they're pretty cheap and used by many).

Through the service menu it's possible to change the image such that there's no over or underscan, ie. the PC image exactly fills the screen. I'm running it at 1280x720 that way.

Now to the biggy: Does analog conversion affect image quality. Not having seen a PC image on other TVs I can't compare. On the 60" GWII the image does look a bit soft. It's not exactly sharp and there is some ghosting. Having said that, the TV works perfectly well as a giant computer monitor, it's all very readable. Would things look better if kept in the digital domain instead of converting to analog? Hard to say... I'd be interested to hear how things look on any of the DLP sets. For DVD playing it really doesn't matter much, the image is very, very good IMO.

-Rob-

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob !

I am not interested in playing games or or watching DVD's from my computer so I don't think the quality will be an issue.

I will look into the ATI cards. Thanks.

I am expecting my 50" GWII in about an hour. Can't wait.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Congrats Spooky!!

If you have HD, be sure the first thing you do is tune to the HD demo loop (here that's broadcast through a PBS affiliate). Then siet back and say the obligatory "ooh's and aah's"! Only after seeing how good a picture it can make should one look at SD sources.

Another one worth it is to at least do the user menu tweaks of the "UMR does GWII" thread. The first message in that thread has a link to download the tweaks doc. User menu tweaks only take a minute and make give the picture much more punch.

-Rob-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.