Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just a curious question here. Say you buy a big screen TV, and there is a problem with it. Now, the store usually delivers it to your house -- how do you "Return it" to get it repaired?

The GWII is a lot lighter and smaller than most Projection TVs, but probably still a pain if we need to ship it somewhere for repairs. Has anyone done that before?

I know that if you buy the Circuit City / Good Guys extended warranty it is an "In-Home" service. Which means if they cant fix it, THEY will come by and pick it up and ship it for me.

What would happen if within a year, the set broke, and I needed to take advantage of the Sony Manufacturers warranty (No CC Extended warranty). Do I actually have to box it up, and mail it to Sony? Or, can I just drag it down to Circuit City and make them mail it even though I didnt buy an extended warranty?

Any thoughts on taking the extended warranty on a big set like this? (What's a reasonable price, if any, for the warranty?)

James

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a Sony 53XBR45 projection TV which I've had for 6.5 yrs. Twice during that time I had to have repairs done under warranty. (Once due to lightning hit just outside my house and my TV was attached to a crappy surge protector).

The service guys came to my house, disassembled the bottom of the TV to get the one or two boards they needed. They returned a few days later with replacement boards and every thing was fine.

So in answer to your questions, they typically avoid shipping the set any where if they can help it. These systems are fairly modular and they can just remove the offending component and swap in a new one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kwolfman,

Thanks for the info. Now, did you pay for the extended warranty, or are you using the Sony Manufacturers warranty? I was not aware that the Sony Warranty that came with the set is In-House?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi wihardjw,

I had the extended warranty (from Sony), but that didn't matter. The standard warranty included in home service. It only makes sense. These TVs are huge (275lb for mine). The first repair I had was only 1 year into the standard warranty. The service guys told me they would only take the set if they absolutely had to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.