AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot of excellent threads/posts here for the last couple of weeks and really appreciate the helpful and intellectual thoughts that have been contributed.

Here is my issue:

I have always enjoyed Sony products. My entire system is Sony expect for my 36" Toshiba which I am now replacing. I have seen the GWII on display a few times and thought it looked amazing. In fact, I thought it was as close as I could get to a plasma without being a plasma.

I have ordered the 60" GWII at the incredibly low Sony employee price of $3348. I figured with a deal like that, I can't go wrong (except for it is difficult to return/repair). However, I am now reading on this forum some bad press on it: washed out blacks, dead pixels, picture quality issues on SD...

In addition, it seems that since the GWII is priced more than its competitors anyway, the low price I am getting just brings it closer, maybe a little better than its peers.

I have to be honest, I did not have time do a whole heck of a lot of research. I just saw the display a few times and thought it looked darn good in comparison to the others (Of course, I was watching HDNet). At home, I will be watching mostly TiVo (which is obviously only going to give me SD) and DVD's. The unit will be in a very large an well lit room (viewing distance = 15 ft). I will be installing curtains soon.

Now, I may be able to cancel the order if there really is a "better" choice. I know a lot of this is individual opinion, but I would appreciate any advise from the wisdom/experience of the members of this forum (while I still have time).

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Galen,

I don't think you'll regret it but only you can decide.

I can tell you this. You will have a greater lumen output on this set than the standard CRT RP. I used to have to close the blinds in my family room to view the old 53" XBR that my current GWII replaced. Not so with this set. Light output is much greater.

As I've stated in other posts, SD and DVD look good. Analog OTA doesn't look good.

Get yourself an HD receiver as soon as you can. HBO HD Net and HBO ch 509 are excellent on this set. And, if you have access to Digital OTA, that also looks good and in fact it is today's best HD signal.

Perform a few tweaks when you get the set. Stick to Pro mode for reality.

I watched this set's prior model, GWI, for a year and drooled over it every time I saw it but at $8,000 it was too much for the budget. It's picture blew away every CRT RP that it sat next to.

At the price you bought it for (considerably less than I paid) you got a deal! Enjoy it when you get it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Irc,

Thanks for your opinion, it means a lot and gives me the reassurance I needed. This is my first big AV purchase. I will need to wait and save before I get the HD receiver. Anyway, I heard that there may be some major price reductions coming soon (at least, I hope so).

Besides, my schedule rarely allows me to watch live TV. So, I'll be stuck with SD on my TiVo until a better HD DVR comes out.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My 2 cents on my recently arrived 60XBR800:

1) It works as well in high ambient light as my previous 32" CRT. I don't believe a CRT base RPTV would do as well.

2) The image looks sharper than any CRT RPTV I saw in the stores.

3) It is very compact for it's screen size. Not as compact as a plasma but it is still not as deep as the stand I have it on.

4) The blacks could be better but oh well.

5) No burn in problems means black vertical bars when watching 4:3 material. I hate those grey bars.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am in the same boat. I also had an employee purchase three weeks ago for the 60". Haven't got it yet though. I'll perform the suggested SM tweaks, and hope that the lack of blacks don't bother me too much. It looked fine in the CC and GG stores I viewed the set at.

I also plan to keep my old 32" XBR direct view out for analog cable and direct TV stations that don't come in very well. Never too many TVs for sports viewing!

For the price we got it for, if I don't like it (which I don't expect to be the case), I'll unload it locally. Maybe even make a little.

Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sets are far from perfect no matter which technology. Pick one and live with it. Of course if you are a perfectionist don't buy anything or you will soon be frustrated and broke!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm one running around with some major grips and issues (for me) on my GWII Vs the GWI I had before. Don't get depressed if you read me dealing with these issues round and about.

I would still recomend a demo. For many of the reasons stated above.

I chose the GWI after years of never breaking down to purchase a large RP display due to my disatifaction with what I percieved as their preformance issues.

I went straight from smallish CRT to GW.

1:) Its abilites in normal family day/night lighting conditions. As an all conditions, - every day display, (Not a HT curtained total block dedicated movie room which would have allowed me to 'open' to a couple of other choices).

2:) Its extremely wide viewing angle which can only be bested by the plasmas.

3:) Its lack of screen door and/or solarization effects compared to all other RP models offered including (IMO) the DLP's.

4:) This set is signal hungry give it the progressive DVD and HD sat. upgrade as soon as you are able. But I consider that in the plus column too, then you have a unit that just keeps getting better and better for a time on the upgrade path. Many of the RP's what you see is the best you get. (I'm basing this personal opionion only statement on seeing a few models at stores and then later at friends properly calabrated and on clean feed which they are often not on the showroom floor) I have seen many RP's look much better in the showrooms on the floor, I beleive the GW"s are more sensitive than many of those as regards feed Q. I have only once seen a GWI calabrated and fed properly at a B&M and when it was...there was nothing in the store (to my eyes) which beats it.

Congrats have fun!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey Galen,

Please elaborate on the "price reductions"! Or was that just basing the after Christmas possibility of price coming down on the GWII???

Thanks!

PS: As a side note, has anyone ever gotten Tweeter to knock about 10% off a purchase if you bought something more than one item, or something of that nature. Please help with this. I have lost my A/V store after CC lied right to my face!!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry, but I don't have the details of any upcoming price reductions. It was only by word of mouth and is not related to the holidays. It was reported to me that we will be seeing more and more sets with built-in HDTV tuners (even though it won't be required yet). As a direct consequence, HDTV standalone tuners are supposed to come down.

I only hope this is true. Let us pray...

I think this is bound to happen soon. I doubt we will continue to see plasma TV prices drop without the same happening to tuners. In addition, we are beginning to see price drops now such as the Sony can be found for a little over $600 at CC (just barely above the employee pricing).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey Wegafan. I got Tweeter to throw in five year extended warranty with HD200 ($799) purchase. I think the warranty is about equal to 10+% off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you should ask for 10% off with no prior purchase at that location. (and I know tweeters does it. Everyone I know who tried 'got it'. (actually I got more than that off at tweeters...but it was a large first purchase. (speakers).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.