AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've done your tweaks on my 50"GWII all except the gray scale and optical filter. I was comfortable in the SM due to many hours spent setting the convergence on my Sony 41" RP CRT over the years.

Excellent results. Thankfully much better than you'll ever see in store displays. Think of how many they'd sell if they were tweaked!!

Well done UMR and thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I first hooked my GWII up to standard cable, I was embarrassed to show it to visitors. For what the set costs, it wasn't good when i flipped off of an HD channel and back to regular cable. There was some definite buyer's remorse going on.

After doing the tweaks, I couldn't be happier. Everything looks better, even DVDs got a big boost.

I'm waiting until I dig up a light meter before I buy and install the filter.

Thanks for the amazing work on the tweak file. It's allowed me to really enjoy this tv.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I just got my brand-new kf60xbr800 set, and am somewhat intimidated by the myriad of screens/cats/data settings that I found in the SM, so haven't done anything with them yet. I did change the User settings per the tweaks doc and have been impressed already with the great impact a few ticks this way & that can make.

I'll get into the SM eventually cuz while DVDs are pretty wonderful w/just the UM changes, Tivo and Laserdiscs look pretty darn bad. In fact, to echo what many others have said in many ways, it is painfully obvious that absolutely garbage-in to the XBR results in garbage-out in re: PQ problems.

The great relief here however is that a few of my DVDs (e.g. Fifth Element, Moulin Rouge, Toy Story) have shown me that the XBR makes astoundingly good images if the source material is good. My unit (mfr'ed June 2003) has no pixel, geometry, noise, or cosmetic problems whatsoever so is a true "keeper" fer sher.

Tomorrow I have an HD STB arriving, so for me this GWII XBR journey is just beginning.

Thanks umr for leading the way in re: exploring/uncovering the full capabilities of this set.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Missing option: I plan to try SM Tweeks, but haven't had the time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Service menu tweaks have helped immensely. Every few months I retweak, just for fun.

I found it to be sort of a liberating experience, kind of like doing a computer bios upgrade for the first time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been through a lot of tinkering phases in my life. I've had cars and boats and motorcycles and airplanes and computers -- and I worked on all of them. I guess I'm getting old. I'm getting to the point where I just like to use the stuff I buy instead of working on it.

I've tried a few adjustments in the user menus on my KF-50WE610, but going into the service menu on this device isn't something I'm very tempted to do. My spouse and I were delighted with the picture as it was from the beginning. Some user menu tweaks were interesting to try, but we decided we liked the original settings better after several skirmishes with the menus followed by resets.

After I retire and get some time on my hands I may want to do this sort of thing, but there are just too many other technologies I have to support around the house and work that really need improvement for me to want to spend time working on this set.

I am tempted, somewhat, to try an ISF calibration. However, in the absence of a definitive and authoritative statement from the manufacturer that having such work done wouldn't invalidate my warranty I think I'll skip that, too. Would anyone happen to know whether or not some or all ISF techs are recognized as authorized service providers by some or all of the manufacturers of these sets? Would anyone know whether or not there are any clear statements available from manufacturers that indicate that we, as end users, will not risk invalidation of our warranties if we go into the service menus?

I have little doubt that devoted videophiles can make many of the characteristics of these displays better suit their personal tastes or make them display an image which is, on average, more closely akin to the film directors' intentions by using information provided by subject matter experts like umr. But I also have little doubt that at least some manufacturers will use any wriggle room a customer gives them when it comes time to honor a warranty, especially in these days of slimmer margins in the production process.

And I also know my own proclivity for learning new (to me) techniques the hard way. Does anyone want to let me start my learning curve in his set's service menus?

Uh, I thought not. Smart choice on your part. :D

Ernie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is there a place where tweaks are pinned here? I've searched the Tweaks forum but found nothing. I've read about the UMR service menu tweaks but haven't seen them, are there general non-service menu tweaks that people found helpful? I'm a little too green to frig with the service menu perhaps unless there's some very basic things to try for improvement.

tx, opus

·
Premium Member
10,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by opuscat
Is there a place where tweaks are pinned here? I've searched the Tweaks forum but found nothing. I've read about the UMR service menu tweaks but haven't seen them, are there general non-service menu tweaks that people found helpful? I'm a little too green to frig with the service menu perhaps unless there's some very basic things to try for improvement.

tx, opus
Here are where the GWIII tweaks are that I posted. I am not suggesting these are optimal without the service menu adjustments. Most people as you can see above find the service menu tweaks useful and the risk is low.

UMR Does GWIII XBR & WE

I removed the GWII tweaks because that set is not sold in volume any more. PM me with your email address if you want the latest version for that TV.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just curious if there are any "flags" in the service menu that get flipped when the SM is accessed. What I mean is, other than comparing settings to their default, is there any way someone could tell you've been in the service menu?

·
Premium Member
10,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by slayerav
Just curious if there are any "flags" in the service menu that get flipped when the SM is accessed. What I mean is, other than comparing settings to their default, is there any one someone could tell you've been in the service menu?
I am not aware of any on this set.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
FOR BEGINERS, DO THE TWEAKS AS TOLD BY UMR, STEP BY STEP SO YOU DONT GET LOST...PUT DOWN ORIGINAL READINGS BEFOR YOU CHANGE. IF YOU HAVE A NEWER BUILD DATE & THEY ALREADY CHANGED IT...MABY SOMEONE AT SONY CAUGHT THE IMPROVEMENT..G.B.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My biggest complaint right now with my GWIII is it is out of focus.

No it's not my signal or inputs . All sources are showing a slight out of focus including the progressive scan DVD player which is hooked up via composite video.

To my knowledge there is no way to correct this or converge the set is there ? The problem is a slight ghost image I believe and I tried setting the double image setting to AUTO and 1-4 ... does not help.

Set was delivered yesterday and IF I cannot fix this I'll have to send it back.

Nothing worse than a photographer seeing out of focus images ... I keep wanting to turn the focus ring and sharpen her up ;) :(

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I WOULD GO BACK TO T.V. STORE & COMPARE, THEN TELL THEM TO REPLACE IT OR SEND TECK PERSON OUT.....THIS NEW THOUGH THEY SHOULD SWAP & YOUR SALES PERSON SHOULD WANT TO COME OUT & TAKE A LOOK & BE CIRTAIN ITS RIGHT...G.B.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yeah .... if it looked like this in the store I wouldn't have bought it :(

Store set looked fabulous in every format and their feed is not very good and runs throughout the store to more than 50 tvs

UMR .... can focus be adjusted ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Too chicken, and after UM tweaks on Standard, don't think I really need to.

·
Premium Member
10,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Petre
Yeah .... if it looked like this in the store I wouldn't have bought it :(

Store set looked fabulous in every format and their feed is not very good and runs throughout the store to more than 50 tvs

UMR .... can focus be adjusted ?
I have not been inside a GWIII, but my GWII has a focus adjustment on the lens assembly. I assume the GWIII has a similar one. I would like to see photos of how you access this if you can get to it. This is accessible through a service panel near the bulb from the front of the set on a GWII.

It could also be from the service menu adjustments if you have not done those. The best way to tell is if the pixels are clearly resolved when you get very close to the TV. It is the focus if you cannot clearly see individual pixels when you are close.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tweaked pro mode on my 42" GWIII using the procedure outlined by umr and am very pleased with the results. I watch everything with pro mode now. It has the most detail in the blacks and the picture is not soft at all. I've had this tv for over 4 months now and love it.

umr, thanks for all the work you did documenting the tweaks.

Vic

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks !

At close range (1') I can see each pixel , with a "black" area around it .

So ...

I'm going to try the SM adjustments and see if that helps .

The TV only has about 14 hours on it though so I may wait a few days before messing with them.

Quote:
Originally posted by umr
I have not been inside a GWIII, but my GWII has a focus adjustment on the lens assembly. I assume the GWIII has a similar one. I would like to see photos of how you access this if you can get to it. This is accessible through a service panel near the bulb from the front of the set on a GWII.

It could also be from the service menu adjustments if you have not done those. The best way to tell is if the pixels are clearly resolved when you get very close to the TV. It is the focus if you cannot clearly see individual pixels when you are close.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.