AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
umr, have you been able to compare the 50" vs 60" GWII ?

My room will be 21 x 20, and a 50" may be a little small.

Great pics, ;)

Regards,

Jose

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jose_L,

Thanks for the complement.

I have not been able to see a 60". My room is 18x20 and I am very happy with the 50". We also watch it from the kitchen which is about 15-20 ft. back and it still works well even at that distance. I sit about 10 ft away normally. The 60" would be better for HD, but there is not a lot of that yet. I doubt my wife would agree to the space/cost of a 60" if I wanted one.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
umr,

great pics. What HD signal are you getting OTA or Dish? If OTA, what type of antenna are you using?

I just got 60" XBR yesterday. I have a panasonic HS2 which I feed dish SD signal through their 721 PVR. In turns the HS2, has two type of outputs component and S-Video. According to panasonic the HS2 is supposed to be a progressive DVD as well. I implemented your recommendations for the pro and mild modes. I have to look at the picture 10 to 12 feet away from the TV so I do not see the SD artifacts. I am very undecided on the mild or pro mode to watch SD or th s-video or component. If you have done more tweaks please post them. Let me know about the HD since I will be investing sometime on this. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
motjes2,

I have a Samsung SIR-T165 for OTA and a JVC HM-DH30000U for D-Theater and recording HD. I also have a Dish 501, but no HD yet. The D-VCR makes photographing HD much easier. I have a radio shack antenna in my attic that I used in the past for OTA. The antennas here in Houston are located mostly in one spot so it makes reception pretty easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you UMR and FTLEE and others for your information. My old 50 inch Mitsubishi lost its transformer a few weeks ago so I entered the new world of large screen TV. More than I bargained for as I educate myself, but a steep learning curve. Since the look of the cabinet is also of importance, my wife and I have concentrated on the newer technology sets whose depths are relatively small. This has led us to the plasma tvs, the sammy DLP and the GW II. The plasmas are very nice BUT way too costly and there are concerns about eventual loss of picture quality. That has left the sammy and the GWII.

My son majored in film, computers and theater so has a fairly critical eye towards color and film quality reproduction. He and I have viewed the Sammy 50" on a few occassions at 2 of our local Tweeters (the 60" is not and will probably not be available in showrooms to see due to such limited supply). We both LOVE the sharpness and brightness of the picture. HOWEVER, when viewed closer than say 15 feet, it seemed like movement on the screen had "wavy" movement, like underwater. There were no "rainbows" that we could see as others have reported with these sets, but maybe we saw them and didn't realize what they were. On the direct TV signal the PQ was good, but not great, and I fear our cablevision signal might be even worse. There were times that the image movement look almost like poor video streaming. However on the HDNET signal it was AWESOME.

We finally got to see the 60" GWII, and although it was not side to side with a sammy, it was absolutely beautiful. The silver cabinetry was sleek and modern. The DVD we watched was The Patriot, and the color and sharpness of the floor model with "store settings" was fantastic. I have read alot on this forum about the poor quality of black reproduction of the GW II, but both my son and I could not see what people are talking about. The blacks were deep and rich on this particular set - black hair compared to black felt hats compared to black objects in the picture. Could it be that different sets can be adjusted for the black reproduction??? I would think the store settings on the set were basically out of the box, but maybe I am wrong.

We are leaning on purchasing the GWII, partly due to fear of the "new" technololgy of the sammy - hard to believe all those rotating mirrors are not prone to failure at some point. But I might just be paranoid. Anyway, either set gave a beautiful picture (except for the waviness of the samsung that disappeared as you moved back far enough from the screen). CC should have them on display soon as well so you can view them for yourself.

If anyone has any further advice for me, as a novice in this techno area I would appreciate it. I have an old antenna on the roof from the 1960's that has not been used since cable was invented. Wonder if I should consider using it again for HD signal from NYC since I live about 60 miles north of New York City??? I do not believe Cablevision here has any real plan soon to broadcast in HD, and direct TV seems too expensive for a home with 5 TV sets.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to all. Today is one of the most important, for who knows what the next year will bring any of us. We live in the greatest country in the world - let's hope and pray we and our children may all enjoy what it offers "forever".

·
Registered
350 Posts
umr,

glad to hear the HD PQ on this set is top notch. I don't have HD yet, should have it early next year. I would like to see the D-Theater as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.