AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go view these over the weekend and it looks good at first, but I noticed a stuck pixel. I looked closely and it was ONE pixel. So I decided to do the test of backing up to 9 or so feet away and seeing if I could notice it. Well, on some scenes you cant see it, but on others it stands out, like a lone star against the night sky.

There is NO WAY I could stand this TV, especially at its price. Why do people get these TVs? If there were NO dead/stuck pixels it would be a great TV, but every one I have seen has had one or more stuck/dead pixels.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Eric,

I have had the GWII for about 3 months and have never noticed any. I also make it a point not to consciously search for them because I know that once I find one it'll drive me crazy! I figure that if I don't notice any from my normal viewing distance then they are not worth noticing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdunlap
Eric,

I have had the GWII for about 3 months and have never noticed any. I also make it a point not to consciously search for them because I know that once I find one it'll drive me crazy! I figure that if I don't notice any from my normal viewing distance then they are not worth noticing.
Agreed !

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a cluster of stuck pixels which appeared about 2 months after I bought my 50" GWII. I was going to call Sony but I got lazy and two weeks later the cluster of stuck pixels disappeared. Its been a couple weeks and I have not seen them although I've looked carefully in the same spot under every condition. Not sure how they could have disappeard... any thoughts anyone?

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricD
...There is NO WAY I could stand this TV, especially at its price. Why do people get these TVs? If there were NO dead/stuck pixels it would be a great TV, but every one I have seen has had one or more stuck/dead pixels.
Strange. Every one I have seen does not have stuck pixels I could see past about 6 feet. Why doesn't everyone get this TV?:D

·
Registered
349 Posts
I try to see my sets stuck pixels. Focus on it, then walk back to the couch. After about 6-7 feet, its gone. Maybe they are more noticable on the smaller screen at closer range. I am watching the 60 at about 12 feet back. Now, if they just come out with a 72 GWIII???

Stuck pixels for me = no problem

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MChilli
Stuck pixels for me = no problem
same here,, my 60GWII doesn't have any stuck pixels that I can see. my unit was put together in March 2003 so it's a fairly new build. I wonder if stuck pixel problem is getting better because of continuous improvement and QC at Sony?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I must be lucky with mine because I still can't see any stuck or dead pixels. On my first kf60dx100 there were several stuck pixels. However, they were completely undetectable from 9 ft plus.

Oh yeah, nbahd last night was fantastic!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if they are stuck on green or blue, no biggy, if it is red then its a BIG issue, at least for me.

Yes, the picture is nice with dvd and hdtv

Yes, there are some artifacts with SDtv

Yes, many people cant see a stuck pixel from their viewing distance

Yes, a RED stuck pixel is BRIGHT from 12 feet back and very distracting.

Sure, many GWII post that they love their TV and say they dont see stuck pixels. Many people know they have them. So why for $4000 do they accept less than perfect? Even if I couldn't see a blue or green stuck pixel, if I knew it was there it would make me feel that I had bought an imperfect TV.

Its not worth it for me to buy a TV knowing there is a good chance I would have to return it because of a defect.

·
Registered
807 Posts
EricD,

If I had dead pixels that are visible at regular viewing distance I'd raise hell to get it fixed (either under warranty or through the extended service contract). Getting stuck with a $4K+ television with visible and very distracting defects is not acceptable IMO.

As it happens I have lots of dead pixels (didn't bother to count them but probably at least a dozen) but they are absolutely invisble from any distance over a meter away. As to the chances of getting a TV with visible dead pixels: Considering just how many on these forums have a GWII and how few have reported them I'd say that is probably a pretty slim chance. Don't forget that those with problems will always be the most vocal ones, you never hear from the vast majority of happy customers.

-Rob-

·
Registered
112 Posts
One unhappy owner here. I decided the pink dot visible from 10 ft. was NOT acceptable. CircuitCity here we come! (under 30 days). Saleswoman wanted to send a tech out to fix... NOT gonna happen.

She has said she needs to talk with manager re. the return. What gives?

I would really like it for them to order me one (if not in stock) - and let me exchange when it comes in. Seems like the most prudent, but I will not be surprised if they want mine back 1st (so they can sell it on floor) ---probably for what I paid new---

Return policy is pretty straight forward:

---

Refunds and Returns

We want to make sure you're completely satisfied with anything you buy from us. Try it out for 30 days. If something's not right or you've simply changed your mind, please return it within that time so we can either exchange it or give you your money back. Since computer technology changes so quickly, we can only offer a 14-day tryout on PCs and related merchandise. For a full refund of a product, we'll need you to return the box, and packaging too.

---

Anyone else get flack from CC?

·
Registered
407 Posts
"She has said she needs to talk with manager re. the return. What gives?"

That is UNACCEPTABLE and one more reason I refuse to shop at CC.

Anyone else remember DIVX ???...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a bright pixel that makes me very unhappy with the set. It can be seen from over 10 feet away. Sony says this is within design intent.

I will never purchase another product that has the Sony logo on it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricD
why for $4000 do they accept less than perfect?
Perfect TV = no TV, at least in this world at literally any price. Also applies to perfect audio, perfect computer, perfect car, perfect world.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.