AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my 50XBR800 this week. Like it alot.

My father is wondering if we can use this set at our business and be moving it around to different rooms when needed. Everything is one level so we could rig up some kind of mobile stand for it. I am wondering if this is a good idea? How fragile are these things?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Peter,

I don't know that I would want to chance moving this set frequently. I know with my old RP, which was on rollers, you didn't want to move it around much or you would be re-converging.

With the GWII, the LCD's are not consumer accessible to converge. I don't know if this means there's more stability or if there is no service adjustment from the factory set up. I don't have my service manual yet to tell.

Certainly, it would be easy to set the stand up on smaller rollers but I'd be careful with the physical set stability itself. As you can see, the strap on the back is the only thing that keeps the set from tilting over if any pressure is applied to the top side (as they illustrate a child hanging off the top).

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lrc
Peter,

I don't know that I would want to chance moving this set frequently. I know with my old RP, which was on rollers, you didn't want to move it around much or you would be re-converging.

With the GWII, the LCD's are not consumer accessible to converge. I don't know if this means there's more stability or if there is no service adjustment from the factory set up. I don't have my service manual yet to tell.

Certainly, it would be easy to set the stand up on smaller rollers but I'd be careful with the physical set stability itself. As you can see, the strap on the back is the only thing that keeps the set from tilting over if any pressure is applied to the top side (as they illustrate a child hanging off the top).
Yeah, I love Sony's attempt to sell us GW XBR owners the overpriced Sony stand with the place for the "belt" to hook into -- by scaring us with thoughts of a child climbing on the TV!!!

Now, as soon as I say this, someone will indeed write in that they have seen children climbing on top of RPTVs.

Cheaper than a Sony stand would be to tape or glue a couple strips of barbed wire on top and down the sides of the TV. Lowe's or Home Depot has several varieties. Spray-paint it gold or gray for a "custom look."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.