AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to make a decision as to which is better and make that purchase.

Who is produceing the best DLP sets now a days?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Samsung and Panasonic seems to be the major DLP producers ont the market right now. However, Panasonic has discontinued on of their models. There is no "best", only "better".

IMO, I would go with the DLP.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went with the Samsung DLP based on better blacks and lack of dead pixels which seem to plague the Sony.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I went with the Sony LCD based on no 'rainbows' and no 'temporal dithering' which seem to plague the Samsung's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakkenFire
I would start feeling very ill after watching DLP for about 20 min. So I went with the GW2.
Why ???

What was wrong ? Was it the 'dithering' ?

I am curious about what you mean. Someone mentioned 'eye fatigue' with a DLP, what is that about ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Spooky,

Dithering is the visual effect of uneven color gradations in the image. One forum member described it best as looking like a "topographical map".

As far as the eye fatigue, some people (myself included) have a hard time with the strobing effect inherent in DLP technology.

To answer the original post,

After owning both a Samsung DLP and a Sony GWII (which I still have) sometimes I wish that I had stuck with good old CRT. The inferior black levels of LCD kind of bug me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdunlap

After owning both a Samsung DLP and a Sony GWII (which I still have) sometimes I wish that I had stuck with good old CRT. The inferior black levels of LCD kind of bug me.
Yeah, the black levels are kind of a bummer, especially since the rest of the picture quality is so amazing. Guess we cannot have our cake and eat it too. :(

The sharpness and overall detail and depth of the GWII far surpasses the lack of black level detail IMO !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.