AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the 'UMR Does GWII' thread, but I wanted to start a fresh one to try and get more direct info on this issue.

"As I brought subject this up last week, I went back to re-read the entire thread to see if there was any further info on the left leaning picture tilt. I came across URM's AVIA Resoulution JPG on page 19 and it appears to me that the pattern in the pic has the same tilt as my set and may be quite common. "

I too now notice the 'tilt'. On a 2:35:1 aspect ratio movie, the black bar at the top of the screen is about a half inch larger on the far left side as it is on the far right. It is not as noticeable on the bottom for some reason, but annoying none-the-less.

I can even see it a little when I go into 'Wide Zoom' on regular TV and look at a constant line at the top or bottom like a news or sports ticker. I have to really look with this example though. The widescreen movie is slightly more noticeable.

HELP !?!?!?!?!??!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's funny, when I finally got my GWII last year, the first thing I noticed was the tilt. Indeed, it does appear lower on the left than on the right.

When you use the "monitor" as a PC monitor for your computer desktop, the menubar pretty much hammers it out in front of you.

I've come to live with it. I've added a touch of overscan to the vertical and moved the top up a quarter to half an inch so I can't see any lines. This means the white part of the red X for close window is touching the edge of the screen, but the full program icon on the left is fully visible but the white border (sheen?) is hidden under the top edge of the TV.

I don't think there's any way to adjust this without ripping the TV to pieces.

But at least I live safe knowing that when I leave Mario to sit on the screen in Pause, or leave my desktop on the screen and go to the zoo, it won't burn in :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This really seems to be extremely common with these sets. Very interesting...

Yeah, it is not a set 'killer' for me at all, just a curious issue. I wonder if it is inherent and people who are not mentioning it just do not see it or are not sensitive to it.

Weird. I wonder what a Sony tech would do or say !?!?!?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got a 50" and I don't notice any tilting at all. I even went as far as to put up the IPG from my cable box and measure for any tilting at the edges...nothing. There is practically no leaning or distortion horizontally.

I do notice a little bowing (or is it arching?) of vertical lines when they are at the bottom of the screen at around the 1/3 and 2/3 marks. This is most noticable when watching 4x3 material. It's not anything that I lose any sleep over.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 60GWII with build date of March 2003. There is no noticeable tilt whatsoever on the picture,, I measured it from the top down and it is within 1/16" from one side to the other. I'd say that's pretty good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dickydoo

I do notice a little bowing (or is it arching?) of vertical lines when they are at the bottom of the screen at around the 1/3 and 2/3 marks. This is most noticable when watching 4x3 material. It's not anything that I lose any sleep over.
Yes, I notice the slight bowing in 4:3 myself. Not a big deal to me either.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just got home and decided to measure the screen 'tilt'. I think I may have been overreacting last night when I noticed it. It was late and I had just watched 'Drumline' (absolutely gorgeous DVD BTW) and I was thinking I could notice the tilt at the top of the screen. I went to my basic TV and looked at some tickers and thought I noticed it there as well.

So, I get home today and start measuring. On a 2:35:1 DVD the top left corner's black bar is maybe a 1/8 of an inch lower than the top right, at best. I also sat and watched the CNN ticker go across the bottom in 'Wide Zoom' and noticed the SLIGHTEST change in the text going across. I had to REALLY look. It was maybe a few centimeters difference from far right to far left.

I think all this GWII reading here is making my subconscious imagination work overtime !!!! :)

Basically, there is nothing for me to be complaining about and I sure hope to not cause anyone any panic or worry about their purchase and or buying thoughts regarding this wonderful TV.

At this point, this TV couldn't be any more perfect for me. :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spooky
This is from the 'UMR Does GWII' thread, but I wanted to start a fresh one to try and get more direct info on this issue.

"As I brought subject this up last week, I went back to re-read the entire thread to see if there was any further info on the left leaning picture tilt. I came across URM's AVIA Resoulution JPG on page 19 and it appears to me that the pattern in the pic has the same tilt as my set and may be quite common. "...
You might want to take a closer look at that photo. The majority of the tilt I see in the photo is from the camera not being square with the TV. The tilt in the image on the TV is maybe 1/8" to 1/16".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Since I brought this subject up last week, I will provide more info on what I see on my 50 inch GWII.

I first noticed the 'tilt' on the vertical scrolling credits on DVD movies. Upon further investigation, it was found to be present on RF, Cable Box and Sony VCR inputs (1 & 4) as well.

In order to see if you have this condition, check out the following:

* CNN bottom ticker - select WideZoom (this makes the scrolling letters half visible). The 'E' is best to follow across the screen. Mine slowly descends as it crosses.

* AVIA - Any of the 'Widescreen Geometry' Screens - check the corner markers and the general geometry. The top & bottom rows in the 'White Field Pluses' Screen are also excellent.

* AVIA - The '100/200 TVL Resolution' and 'Overscan' Screens have borders that are great for lining up with the edge of the screen. Check how much of the sets of letters is visible on the corners of the the Resolution Screens.

* AVIA - The center dividing line in the 'Backlight Levels' Screen in Normal or Widescreen dramatically shows any tilt. This is similar to stunning the ocean/horizon shot in 'The 5th Element' DVD - unfortunately the beautiful horizon was tilted.

Perhaps there is more of a geometry issue here with my set than just tilt. On a screen with borders, my top & bottom horizontal lines are tilted left side down (quite apparent in a screen of this size). My left side border is perfectly vertical while my right side is tilted noticeably to the left. It's as if corner of the mirror was misaligned or 'bent'.

This adjustment was so easily done in the SM of my previous Sony RPTV - sigh.

It is apparent that not everyone has this condition to the degree that I have. I saw one in the Sony Store last week that looked fine; however, it is becoming obvious that there are many sets out there like mine.

I love this set & hope that someone has the answer to correcting this condition. I could live with this if I have to, but considering the price of a GWII, this fine picture should be able to be made level!

TAM

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you contacted Sony to have a tech come out and look at it ???

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have talked to my Sony 'authorized' techs who happen to be acquaintances of mine. They do Sony Warranty work but do not work for Sony directly. Since we are in a smaller town far removed from a big Sony Center & they have no experience with this type of LCD Projector, I don't know how helpful they will be initially. They are coming to see my set next week.

I was hoping that someone here had already fixed or adjusted this condition so that I could steer them in the right direction if required.

Using my suggestions above, has anyone else detected these geometry anomalies on their GW?

Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
I dont have a tilt, but i have a noticable trapazoid shape of the screen with it thicker on the bottom, and narrowing as it goes up. It is not severe, but it does thin at the top by about 5 pixes.

This is not the "bowing" that is commonly seen on 4:3, I get that slightly as well. This is seen in all of my 16:9 sources as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. I really wonder if there is any screen shaping/tilting tools in the service menu. Has anyone looked for them ??? Did UMR look and not find any ???

I just did some more measuring of my 'tilt' and on the top of the screen, the top left is approx. 5 centimeters lower than the top right. The bottom left is approx. 2 or 3 centimeters lower than the right. Not a big deal by any means, but it is slightly noticeable on some things.

I am actually not really sure this is a tilting, as it may be a slight 'bowing' or 'flaring' of the right side of the screen. Anyone else have any ideas ???

·
Registered
198 Posts
Spooky:

Your term of 'flaring' of the right side of the screen might be a better way of describing this condition. That is basically what I am seeing; however during viewing of some material, ie long horizontal lines, it manifests itself as a picture tilt. The vertical component the right side of this condition is not objectionable.

After spending countless hours manually adjusting the convergence on my previous 41" Sony CRT RPTV, every adjustment becomes a compromise & I quickly realized that perfect geometry is impossible to attain. Looking at this condition, it appears to me that tilting the pic slightly clockwise would give a fine horizontal geometry with slight trapezoid at the top of the screen as DrakkenFire mentioned. This would be OK by me.

BTW - I have the normal slight pin-cushioning on 4:3 which I understand is a product of the extreme wide angle lens used in this projector. This is not at all as objectionable as horizontal tilt.

I am hoping that someone has already had this condition fixed & would pass it along to us.

Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
The trapezoid really isnt terribly noticeable. it doesnt really distort the picture.. just leaves some black space. It really kinda blends in with the black framing of the screen, but if you look for it its definately there.

Considering how projection works, this seems to me like a physical alignment problem just like keystoning with a front projector. Im pretty sure the only adjustment would be a physical one, as I dont remember any keystoning asjustments in the service menu.. but i could be wrong... and its tolerable enough where im not going to make a service call about it unless it gets worse.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone specifically looked in the service menu for alignment settings ????

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by umr
Yes.
and...

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spooky
and...
I only found what is in the tweaks file to adjust geometry with the service menu. There are settings that normally work on a CRT XBR set, but they did nothing on mine.

I believe there are some screws on the projector itself that look like they might allow you to shift the lens/mirror assembly mechanically, but I have not tried it. There is some special tape that looks like it is used to cover this area that might be damaged if you tried this. The tape appears to prevent light leakage.

The manual for the KL-W9000 (the first in the series) on page 37 shows a technique for doing this. The registration locking blocks are fixed with adhesive and require a registration adjusting block kit for service (4-047-337-01) and hex wrench keys (2mm, 5mm). Something like this might work for the GWII, but it is not listed in the service manual. The new projector engine in the GWII might not be adjustable either.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info UMR. Your knowledge on these sets is very impressive.

It seems like this issue might be quite complicated. I guess we will have to wait until someone actually has a Sony technician try and address it. Although, if it is as detailed as you suggest, I don't know if I want anyone messing with it.

So the geometry settings in the SM did nothing ??? I wonder why...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.