AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase the GWII 50 or 60 inch model in the next couple of days. I have not been able to find a store that has each model side by side. I sit about 11 feet from the area where the tv will be placed.

Any thoughts on the PQ for either set? Does the 50 have a better PQ than the 60 at this distance?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
What i have found that a question like this is highly subjective. A smaller set should look a bit more crisper at that distance, but you will lose some of the theater feel. I have a GWII and I set about 11 feet from the TV. I have not down any of UMRs tweaks for SD pictures. I find SD acceptable, but nothing to brag about. HD and progressive DVD on the other hand looks great at this distance with the 60". I suggest if you can see either set get it in a low light conditions to make sure the blacks are acceptable to you. As for PQ? if you are going to spend the lion share of your time on SD then you have to take more of a risk with the 60" having an acceptable picture at 11'. Right now I think it is acceptable but I do plan on trying umr's tweaks to improve it.

I know that is a wishy wash answer but I will quote a number of other people. Best advice is to get yourself in front of one. You dont need to be side by side just see both from an equal distance and see what you think.. For me.. I did not see a lot of PQ difference between the two at about 11' and I wanted the best movie experience I could get. I picked the GWII 60

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Since you only have 11" of distance I will suggest you to go with the 50". But after seeing what you can accomplish with UMR's tweaks, I will go with the 60". It does not matter as long as you can implement those settings.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've had the 60" for a couple of days now and one of my spots on the sofa is ~11' and it looks great. As WeeJavaDude put it, it's nothing to brag about, but it really is quite acceptable. I've not made any tweeks whatsoever and am very happy with the picture.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I sit 9-11' and got the 50" for price and size (small room in which a TV that large would dominate too much) ... but I stood 6' from a 60" in the store and viewed OTA and DirecTV and felt it looked great at that distance for the source, and has better side viewing angle visibility than a CRT RPTV. If you have the room and money, 60" would be fine at 11'. HD should be awesome.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
eweiss-

You and I usually agree on things. That said, I want to encourage you and others NOT to say things like "I watched the 60" from 6' away, and it looked great"... because people read things like that and made poor decisions. My 50" GW XBR800 does NOT look very good from 6' and it is pretty much maxed out tune-up wise. It looks starts to look very good from 8' (now w/ NTSC material...forget it...you HAVE to get back at least 10' for it to be tolerable). From 6' with even a 50" though, one can still see scan lines.

I wanna acknowledge that you went on to give some very accurate and helpful info re 60" and 11' distance...and yea, the viewing angle is exceptional ! A 60" is a great movie experience. I find that my 50" is the "minimum" size for a movie experience (I sit 8' away). I found that 42"-ish size feels only as a "sorta large TV" (as compared to a large screen/movie presentation).

Of course, this is just ONE opinion !;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I can't believe people even ask the question about viewing distance and what size of set they should buy. It should be what ever they are comfortable with. Do these people go into movie theater and ask person collecting ticket what row they should sit in? I do agree with Wolvernole about his comments on 50" and 42" screen. And those that sit 6 ft. away from 60-70 inch. screen don't be insulted if I come over to watch a movie and move my chair back several feet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another thing is the set has scalable PIP, which you could use for SD if you don't like what you see full screen, and you could use the full screen for HDTV/DVD

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WOLVERNOLE
eweiss-

You and I usually agree on things. That said, I want to encourage you and others NOT to say things like "I watched the 60" from 6' away, and it looked great"... because people read things like that and made poor decisions.
Valid comment.

I have stated this a couple times because I was frankly surprised at how good the TV looked -- both image quality and viewing angle -- at such a close distance. Meaning that at normal viewing distances, it should be a great picture.

Now, some might argue that 6' is not too close for a 60" HDTV broadcast. If 2.5x the vertical height is considered okay for HDTV, due to its much sharper image, then that is just about 6' -- just over 73.5" to be exact. Someone could sit 6' from the 60" TV during a HDTV movie broadcast and get a true "theater experience" and probably not feel that they're sitting too close. But for DVD, 8' is probably better as a minimum.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Yea, good update. I have to say that my middle-age eyes are not too great- about 20/30 in both...but I CAN see scan lines from 6' (on light-backed material). Folks need to view this GW XBR800 w/ NTSC material. I love this set, and it performs well w/ decent material...but like virtually all HD sets, the NTSC material will REALLY put the hurt to ya at the DVD/HD "distance". Be aware.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am considering the 50" vs. 60" while only being able to view a 50" in the store on an HD feed. Having owned a 55" 16:9 set, for my viewing distances (anywhere from 6 to 12') I feel the 60" will provide me with the better theater-like experience. The widescreen 'effect' of my 55" set tended to drop off once past 8'.

With the hi-def source, the picture on the 50" GWII looked pretty tight at a short distance. But, I'm concerned with OTA reception, and will be using a terrestial antenna for SD now (and DTV reception after I sneaking an STB in the house). The salesperson was unable to offer an alternative to the HDTV source, so I suggested hooking a VCR up and using a composite input. I'm thinking of bringing a tape down there to witness a worst case scenario, and maybe the PS2 to view a game displayed, and compare the PQ to some nearby CRT RPTVs. If the display is worse than my analog direct view...

Question to the GWII owners: is there a menu item to reset the set to default factory settings?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have been looking at DVDs played on a 50" and the local B&M (a Whiz store). The setup has a couch about 10' from the screen (about the same distance as my TV from my couch). I found the PQ to be excellent, I had to get very close to the TV to see problems. When I was watching my own Apollo 13 DVD I was sitting on the edge of the seat leaning forward. I concluded from this that I need to buy the 60" version. If brodcast TV looks bad, I will just watch more DVDs (I might even move the TIVO to the bedroom).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is a great video on the GWXBR Watch Me

Does anyone no who makes the stand in the video? Sony? Is it last years stand for the GWI?

I looked at the 50" & 60" today had them setup beside each other. My first impression was 10" does make a big difference!

I was really impressed by the picture I'm looking for a set to replace my XBR2 65" that broke down 4 times with the latest being no start up :mad:

I'm really considering the GWXBR for replacement of my XBR2!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well my 60XBR800 was installed yesterday. It looks fine from my standard seating position but the screen door effect becoms noticeable a foot or two loser to the screen. I guess that means the screen is perfectly sized but it is close to being too big.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.