AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tell ya it must be a damn good one with this set. I have negotiated a purchase price of $4289.98 with a local B&M who didnt give me the best buy they gave me the best price in the CITY......

On top of that, $100.00 gift card promo was thrown in (uh hum..by mistake)

so net cost $4189.98

Wanted a pio 503 plasma but this will do for this price

cheers

·
Registered
984 Posts
Suzook,

Did you do any viewing comparisons of the GWII to other competitively priced sets? If so, would appreciate any impressions you have. Did you at all consider a CRT based HD RPTV?

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI Bruce, well let me step back.

I have owned several sony direct view tv's, a 65 inch toshiba RPTV and most recently a Sony Plasma. I loved em all but being a tech geek I move on pretty quick and have limited loyalty when it comes to new vs old technology. I have looked at a number of sets and have flip flopped at least 10 times. RPTV I looked at was excellent and after negotiations at the right price point, then the plasma bug hit again, but to get 50 inches will run you close to 6 grand. And then there is the GWII which seems to fall in the middle of everthing. $4100.00 for 60 inches, combined with mostly dvd viewing, x-box and ps2 playing along with an soon to be purchased Sony HD200 for mostly movie watching and I came up with the GWII. the size of the plasma was another real catch and this gets me close. If the plasma was under 5k for the 50 inch, it would be a no brainer but I suspect that at least 6 month to a year away if not longer. And truthfully I will probably upgrade again when that happens.

DOH

Cheers

Aleic

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what I hear from A/V consultants we work with, the profit margin is about $1100 on the 50". Seems like there should be a LOT more stores offering deeper discounts out there.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Suzook,

What do you do with your last set every time you upgrade?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well ninthdragon, I usually sell them to a caring new owner or pass them down to family members. In the case of the plasma, A extremely nice gentleman from NY bought it through e-bay of all places.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JDahl
From what I hear from A/V consultants we work with, the profit margin is about $1100 on the 50". Seems like there should be a LOT more stores offering deeper discounts out there.
Why should they? From what I can tell, they are selling the GWXBR as fast as they can. If the consumer is willing to pay MSRP, why discount?

I'm trying to wait until early January to purchase/order my 60". Hopefully, all the early adopters will have their units and the stores will have units piling up in their warehouses. That's when you'll start seeing deep discounts. I'd be happy paying $3999 for a 60". :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd LOVE to see the 50" model creep close to $3K by January. That's when I'm aiming to purchase.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
But, remember Frank you've got to hit it just right. After the Christmas buying spree and before the Super Bowl buying spree. I think there will be a small window of opportunity, say about two weeks. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stephenC
Why should they? From what I can tell, they are selling the GWXBR as fast as they can. If the consumer is willing to pay MSRP, why discount?

I'm trying to wait until early January to purchase/order my 60". Hopefully, all the early adopters will have their units and the stores will have units piling up in their warehouses. That's when you'll start seeing deep discounts. I'd be happy paying $3999 for a 60". :)
I was in Tweeter the other night looking at the GW 50 (to hear how the fan noise compares to mine) and the Samsung 43". The salesman told me that all three TVs -- Samsung 43", Samsung 50" and Sony 50" -- are very hard to get -- they're selling as fast as they come in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
I was in Tweeter the other night looking at the GW 50 (to hear how the fan noise compares to mine) and the Samsung 43". The salesman told me that all three TVs -- Samsung 43", Samsung 50" and Sony 50" -- are very hard to get -- they're selling as fast as they come in.
Agreed, I was in one last night, decided on the 50", but the salesman wouldn't budge off of $3999. He said he'd discount anything else I bought at the same time 10%.

Thanks, I said and walked...

Maybe I'll be back after the holidays, he was nice and patient with me (spent over an hour trying various DVD's / modes). I'd like to give him the business, but I certainly don't want to pay full list.

BTW: he had 4 each of the 50" and 60" in stock. Nice store, had the Samsung 507 next to the 50" GWII

Don't ask about the place I went to that had the 50" sticker price at $4199, they had a 60" GW1 priced at $7999 :eek:

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can get it for around $4000 now if you work it right. I finally got a local AV store to come to $4,100 for the set because I was about to go buy it from CC at $3,999. I like this guy a lot and thought $100 isn't much to pay having somebody knowledgeable to help you out. The way I see it, they can get little profit from me or none.

SCR

P.S. I also got the HD200 from CC for $620 yesterday and the Panasonic DVD-RP82 for $192 shipped from Crutchfield. It was a nice day!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Just to be sure, there is NO RISK of Burn-in with these sets, right???

·
Registered
200 Posts
Suzook,

I think the $100.00 gift card mistake is just their way of making us think we're getting an extra special deal. I also was given a $100.00 gift card by mistake when I purchased my set from CC down in MA. today. They are suppose to deliver the set tomorrow (Sunday) but I'll believe it when I see it. The set cost me $5,100. With a stand and 5-year extended warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fpulliam
I'd LOVE to see the 50" model creep close to $3K by January. That's when I'm aiming to purchase.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

Frank, I haven't found them in stock or on display anywhere in Gainesville. How about you?

John

GV, Too

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey John,

Boy....what a pitiful year in Gainesville, eh? Zook sure is on thin ice.

I work at the University, at the new Emerson Alumni Hall, btw.

As far as TV's, Gainesville is borderline worthless. The only TV I can find that I'm interested in is the Hitachi 51SWX. Can't find the newer Toshiba HDX series and certainly can't find any of the Grand WEGA's. :(

I'm planning on a trip over to JAX or down to Orlando sometime, I'll let you know what I find in those areas.

Frank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.