AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i just bought the grand wega xbr800 60" And i have a big problem when im watching tv it really sucks. How can i make this better im watching from a cable box some channel are digital. If i tweak my wega with the tweaking guide some one made from this post will that break my warranty.

Is there a setup that someone uses. or a step by step procedure on making the grand wega better.

Please help me im feeling so empty right now. =*(

·
Registered
37 Posts
My only answer would be to switch to dish tv or the like. Cool thing about Dish is in three more weeks they come out with a new hdtv reciever. Though this wont get rid of the problem totaly, it will eliminate alot of bad channels.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the 50" GWII and no cable or satellite feeds. I instead bought an OTA reciever -- Samsung SIR-T151 -- since nearly every local channel is broadcasting in digital where I live (San Jose, CA). Even after watching these images for the last two months, I still find the OTA box's upscaled SD images on the GWII to be surprisingly good.

You hit on the main reason why SD may or may not look acceptable on a digital set: whether the original source is digital or not. A digitial source coupled with a good scaler to interpolate up the resolution will get you a watchable picture. Analog noise cannot be removed and may actually make for an even worse picture after passing through the GWII's own scaler. I dread the thought of watching analog SD video on my GWII. Find a way to get your originating sources as digital signals.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've had the GWII 60" for a little over a month. I'd agree that Dishnetwork looks better post UMR tweaks. Before the tweaks, using MILD mode was the only picture setting that was watchable. But as with all non-analog sets, SD isn't as good as a direct view CRT is.

I wouldn't suggest switching to satellite to get a better picture unless you get the HD receiver. Good analog cable should look better than the highly compressed Dish/DirecTV SD channels. Of course it can be hard to find "good" analog cable.

Before I gave away my 55" SD CRT RPT set, I did watch Dishnetwork side by side with the GWII. And I thought the GWII looked better. It was just that, by comparsion, DVD and HD make it look pretty bad.

I also purchased the T151 HD box and watch networks OTA. Very nice. Now I am waiting for a Dish HD DVR (or DirecTV HD Tivo) so I can record and skip commercials again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
if you are not willing to enter the service menu (or have a trained ISF calibrator) do it for you you will not be able to do much about the picture. Sony has shipped the GWII with settings not optimal for an accurate picture. You may want to consider returning your set as the new GWIII's are coming in and offer better off the shelf performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The tech went into the service menu after installing the optic unit on my TV. He didn't comment on any changes, though he did make some of his own, that i later reverted back. He did some size adjustment, as the new optic unit was in a slightly different position than the old one.

I don't think anyone's sure whether going to the service menu will void your warrenty or not. Some speculate on either side, and the only truly safe thing is to not. But the only sure way to get a better picture out of the TV is to make the tweaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.