AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am VERY close to purchasing the GWII TV. I have done my research and it looks like this is the right model for me.

Now, I am looking at getting the 50" but would like some advice on PQ differences between that and the 60" (if any). I can place my main viewing couch anywhere from 9 ft. to 12 ft. away. I currently have a Toshiba 65HDX82 which I am exchanging (multiple reasons) and I have my couch 12 ft. away from that and the viewing distance seems perfect.

Am I going to wish I had the 60" after having a 65" ??? Is the PQ a tad sharper on the 50" since it is smaller ???

The next big questions I have is how much should I be expecting to pay at my local retailer ??? They are very reasonable and do price match as well as barter a bit. I have gotten them to lower prices on quite a few items to great deals. With that said, I am hoping to get some feedback on what an average price would be for both sets, but mainly the 50". I am thinking I can get it for around $3400. Am I way off ??

Thanks in advance for all advice !!!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Picture wont be sharper on the 65, just less space in between the pixels I would imagine. They both have the same resolution and I believe the same number of pixels.

Good luck at getting it at that price, most places I've seen wont budge below $4k.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go for the 60". I have one with a viewing distance of 12 feet and it is fine. The 50" will probably look too small afer a 65". The pq is terrific after the UMR tweaks on both my Direct-Tivo and digital cable and outstanding on HD as well as DVD!

Wayne

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by wayneliz
Go for the 60". I have one with a viewing distance of 12 feet and it is fine. The 50" will probably look too small afer a 65". The pq is terrific after the UMR tweaks on both my Direct-Tivo and digital cable and outstanding on HD as well as DVD!

Wayne
Well, it turns out that the store is out of the 60" until next month. :(

I was planning on the 50" anyway (60" is just a tad too much $$ for me right now) so I guess this makes my decision on size a bit easier.

Any other opinions or advice on pricing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A good price for the 50" from a non-internet store would be $3199.00 I was able to get my local Circuit City to give me a 20% discount off of $3999.00.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How did you get CC to budge on their price? I can't get any of the local CCs to pretend that they are even able to sell anything for any less than they advertise. Only one local store carries the same products and they have them listed at the same price, so pricematch is not an option there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixter
How did you get CC to budge on their price? I can't get any of the local CCs to pretend that they are even able to sell anything for any less than they advertise. Only one local store carries the same products and they have them listed at the same price, so pricematch is not an option there.
Just called my local CC for the hell of it and I got the sales manager to quote me $3300 over the phone. Not bad. I can use that quote over at a more reliable store for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A couple of months ago a few people posted copies of their receipts on this site. The receipts were from Circuit Cities on the East coast which price matched other stores in the area that where having a 20% off sale. CC has a store policy where they will price match any local store. So I took the the receipts to my local CC in Denver and asked the store manager if he would price match another CC in another state he agreed and 4 weeks later I got a new 50" GW. I did this in January so I don't know if CC's polices have changed since then. If you plan on doing this you will need to talk to the store manager I tried this with a regular sales man and got no where. To me it should not matter what state you are in, you should get the same price from the same store chain from one state to another.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is an extended warrenty included in that $3199 price from CC ???

How long is the Sony 'default' warrenty ?

I just bought my GWII 50" but had to pay $3600. They could not give me the $3200 price because it is my 2nd exchange already. They did throw in a 3 year extended full warranty though.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sony's warranty sucks: One year parts and labor, and no in-home service. You have to physically move the thing to a service center. That alone was a reason for me to get extended warranty.

-Rob-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.