AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just got my GWII going (60") and love it so far. I just started tweaking and I'm not sure exactly what I've affected.

If I edit things in Pro mode and then switch to Standard, are all the changes ONLY in Pro mode and thus, not seen in Standard mode or are some changes tied to modes while others are mode independent?

What I've changed so far (all on Input 1 with DirecTV as the source):

I tried umr's User Menu changes and didn't like those at all for some reason. All the colors just looked off to me. Am I alone there? (Page 3 of 12)

I changed PCI-BOOST2 OSP and PKNG. I couldn't see ANY difference with OSP at 0 or 1 but moved it to 1. PKNG resulted in a major WOW factor. It was at 25 and as I dropped it, suddenly DirecTV became watchable. The only negative I see from this is that I've lost a bit of .... focus/sharpness. People now tend to go from sharp to blurry on me. Is this normal?

I also changed VGAM from 28 to 31. Didn't really change very much.

Is this the GAMM setting everyone is talking about? If so, I'm a bit lost as to what the big deal is.

For now, that's all I changed. I assume I've only changed Input 1 in Pro mode, correct?

I looked at PIC-BOOST3/CDLY but wasn't sure what the table was suggesting I do. Is it saying it should be 7 if this is Input 1 for Dish/DirecTV and 0 if it's used for DVD playback? In my case DVD is on Input 5 so I suspect I'd need to change this while I'm in Input 5.

BTW, while I'm at it, has anyone found a way to mute the TV without displaying MUTE? I use a Home Theater Master MX-500 remote to do a nice discreet macro that: Does a discreet power on of the TV, discreet power on of the receiver, discreet power on of the DVD, sets the receiver to DVD mode, sets the TV to Input 5 and then sets the remote to the right page for the DVD controls.

The one problem I have with this is that I now have a nice 5.1 setup all ready to go but the TV volume is still on. Yes, I know 90% of you probably don't use the TV speakers at all, but my wife insists on it for standard TV watching. She HATES having to be running all the extra stuff just to watch TV. Thus, I must keep that on so I'd like to find an effective, immediate way to kill the TV volume when going into DVD mode.

·
Registered
407 Posts
"The one problem I have with this is that I now have a nice 5.1 setup all ready to go but the TV volume is still on. Yes, I know 90% of you probably don't use the TV speakers at all, but my wife insists on it for standard TV watching. She HATES having to be running all the extra stuff just to watch TV. Thus, I must keep that on so I'd like to find an effective, immediate way to kill the TV volume when going into DVD mode."

The best thing for you to do is go into the user menu and turn 'off' the speakers under 'Audio'. It is only a couple of more button presses than just hitting 'mute'. Just remember to turn them back 'on' when you're done.

As for UMR's tweaks, after MUCH viewing and comparing, I do not think they are for me. My cable is already fine for the most part so it didn't help there too much, and for everything else I prefer the 'Vivid' mode with the sharpness turned down a few notches and the color temp set to 'Neutral'. It may not be the best setting on test patterns, but for DVD's and games, it is by far my favorite. It also looks more 3-D to me. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have not found away to get rid of the "Mute" display. I manually turn the TV speaker volume down with the remote.

The TV speakers can be turned off in the User menu. If you could find a discrete code for your remote to do that (doubtful), that might work for you.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the game issue, are any of you seeing the LCD ghosting issue that I saw yesterday in NFL2K3 for XBox? What I saw was that everything looked flawless (I have this on Input 3 using S-Video) when there wasn't much movement but as soon as the play started everyone got blurry. The moment anyone stopped moving, that person looked great again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.