Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm now a few days in and have noticed some things:

First, most everything that moves becomes blurry when moving and then is flawless when not moving. I notice this most of all on typical DirecTV output which I chalked up to heavy compression but then noticed the same thing on XBox games (NFL2K3 every player goes blurry on movement but looks great as soon as they stop) and on DVD's so it's not just compression here. I read something that suggested it might be "combing from the 3:2 pull down mode not being set correctly".

Does this sound feasible and is it easily checked? The guy who suggested it has a Mitsubishi and mentioned Film versus Video modes which I don't have. Are the Vivid, Pro, etc., modes the same thing? Is there a solution?

Also, I have noticed some DVDs look great on the set while others do not. Dances With Wolves looks excellent but Kate & Leopold looks grainy, flat and generally not very appealing (visually, the story is another issue of course). Is this a technical issue or just great movie versus average movie (thus less quality) issue?

I'm also concerned about subtitles. I've seen them in several movies now and they're odd. They are all very ..... rounded and seem to be made up of really oversized round dots making all the characters look anything but sharp. I thought it was due to the size of the screen but this makes no sense to me as these same subtitles are there in the actual movie on a huge screen and didn't look like this.

Worse, the subtitles are white, bright white, and all seem to have a blue-ish ghost/shadow to the left. I've also thought I've noticed the same sort of thing on the left side of faces but can't be sure. Are others seeing this? I'd like to see a really solid image.

Lastly, the major reason I went for this upgrade was to move from a 4:3 set (I LOVE my 36" XBR) to a 16:9 set, mainly for DVD's (but now eagerly looking forward to HDTV programming as that will be installed Tuesday). I figured I'd finally be done with black bars on MOST movies realizing I'd see them once in a while on the really wide movies (2.35:1?), Full Frame movies, or anything outside of the standard 1.85:1. But instead, with the exception of Kate & Leopold, everything else I've popped in so far is in the wider presentation. Dances With Wolves, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, The Abyss, etc. Am I just looking at the epics and thus seeing an abnormally high number of wide aspect movies?

Oh, actually one other thing. I thought "Full" mode referred to what the film was meant to be seen in. I got a bit thrown off tonight when I popped in The Abyss Special Edition and it was apparently in Zoom mode. Moving it to Full mode resulted in HUGE black bars and everything squished down. I thought Zoom was an effect that I could choose but not a presentation option for movies.

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Quote:
First, most everything that moves becomes blurry when moving and then is flawless when not moving.
This is a feature of 480i unless you can reconstruct a film image frame. You are probably seeing this effect along with compression. There is probably some LCD ghosting as well, but it is difficult to determine without a side by side comparison to something else with the same feed. A 480i video source will not be as sharp while something is moving compared to still images on any display.

Quote:
Also, I have noticed some DVDs look great on the set while others do not.
This is mostly a source issue. Some players struggle with DVD authoring faults more, but this does not sound like what you are describing.

Quote:
I'm also concerned about subtitles. I've seen them in several movies now and they're odd.
The subtitles are usually generated by your player and are not a function of the player. I liked the characters from my Sony better than my Panasonic for example. This TV will show you how good your player is at generating them.

Quote:
Am I just looking at the epics and thus seeing an abnormally high number of wide aspect movies?
Most of the movies I watch tend to be filmed in a ratio wider than 16:9 also.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
There is probably some LCD ghosting as well, but it is difficult to determine without a side by side comparison to something else with the same feed. A 480i video source will not be as sharp while something is moving compared to still images on any display.
I guess this is the size issue. My only nagging feeling here is that I don't recall seeing this as a problem with the 65" KP-65WV700 RPTV. Could be that the picture is much more clear here when not moving so it stands out more now.

As far as the player, I just picked up an inexpensive Sony (the NS715) so that I had a progressive scan player. I had a better non-progressive model previously. I'd be willing to return it (It's brand new) and step up the the 755 model (another $100) if anyone thought that would make a big difference but for now I'm not in a position to go much further. The subtitles generated here are very poor in my opinion. They look literally like each letter is made of very noticeable round stamps. So the top of an L will have two bumps in it. A T looks really bad.

Tuesday should show me a lot. The HDTV receiver will finally be here so source material issues should show themselves or expose problems with the set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.