AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When running my PS2 or Gamecube in Widescreen mode through my GWII 60 with component cables, I have black bars on the left and right. The bars are about 1/2inch wide. However Games on my Xbox fill the screen.

Is this normal or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

-Benson98

·
Registered
407 Posts
I noticed the same thing yesterday. When running Burnout 2 in progressive scan and widescreen there is bars. Zelda however, does not (it is also not 16x9 enhanced).

I don't know what the deal is but I'm experiencing it too !

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had the same problem, but with the Samsung HLM507W. When running SOCOM (PS2) or James Bond: Nightfire (GameCube) in 16:9 via component 480p, I had the 1/2" black bars. It really bugged me quite a bit. When running a 4:3 game stretched it would fill the whole screen, so 4:3 games almost looked better. I never had a chance to test an XBox 16:9 game.

I suspect this has to do with the game developer or even the PS2/Gamecube itself thinking you have more overscan than you do. Whatever the reason, it sucks, because IMO it gives an impression that the TV isn't set up correctly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had this same problem with my PS2. My PS2 does not center the image on the screen when I play 16:9 games it leaves a 1/2" black strip on the left side of my screen. A couple of games that I have allow you to fix this. GTA vice city and mortal combat have a option where you can adjust the screen and center the image to fill the entire screen. Does anyone know if this happens with 16:9 xbox games or is it only true for GC and PS2?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spooky,

Its funny because the game I was using to test the hookups last night was also Burnout 2. Good game can't wait for the Xbox version.

DLiquid,

Totally agree, I think it looks bad because it does not look setup right.

BBryne,

I have about 40 games for the Xbox and have not seen this at all. I do not know how many of them are 16x9. Off the top of my head I think around 10 to 15 are 16x9 and no problems.

Thanks for the replies, so at least I know now that I'm not the only one that this is bugging.

-Benson98

·
Registered
407 Posts
X-Box games:

World Racing: Fills the Screen in 16x9. BTW, it is an absolutely GORGEOUS game. At least rent it to see it on this TV !!!

Unreal Champ: Does NOT fill the screen in 16x9.

Toe Jam & Earl II: Fills the screen in 16x9.

Panzer Dragoon: Does NOT fill the screen in 16x9.

All my other X-Box games are not true 16x9.

Interesting...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.