AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you can only use one or the other, what are your thoughts? i find the progressive smoother looking, yet the 3:2 pull down just plain looks more like the films i see in the theater. Also, does the 3:2 work with s-video feeds form my sat. rec.? or VHS for that matter? the manual is very vague, and does not offer much help. also if i use my DVD componet out's set to 481i, but set the TV to progressive, is this the same as using the the DVD players progressive out? very confusing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
3:2 pulldown is about matching 24 fps film with 30 "fps" of video. Progressive scanning is about how it is displayed.

It's not exactly apples and oranges, because there is a relationship between them, but I wouldn't say that 3:2 pulldown and progressive scanning are mutually exclusive.

I haven't played with this on my brand new GWIII, so be gentle with any flames. But this excellent explanation might help:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

UPDATE: ah, I just saw that on the GWIII, these selections ARE mutually exclusive. I just set my DVD player to Progressive, and my tv set to Cinemotion (3:2 pulldown) and convince myself to be happy with the results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.