Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!

I got my KF-42WE610 yesterday, with a december build date. Everything looked good at the store. However when I got home I realized that while in normal picture mode, (most noticeable) you can see that the picture is distorted. Cone like vision, where the picture converges at the bottom of the screen, and any horizontal lines slightly dip in the center. The two side black bars in normal mode is not perfectly straight with an 1/2 inch extra space on both ends.

Does anybody know if this problem is an actually hardware issue, for instance, the lens possibly being warped. Or if is this a calibration problem that can be easily adjusted through the service menu. ????

I'm thinking about driving almost an hour to go replace this set instead of having a service tech come out this week. Anybody have any ideas, I would be much appreciated. Thanks

-Tony

PQ is excellant, however distortion is anoying.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have last years 50"GWII. This condition is common to these slim line sets (not just Sonys) due to the extreme wide angle lens used in the projector and the folded optical path. It's probably worse in smaller sets due to the amount that the optical path has to be folded. There is no adjustment for this that we've been able to find.

I watch most programming in Wide-Zoom mode which makes it less noticeable (I also like to use all the pixels that I paid for). You get used to the mild distortion in Wide-Zoom after a while.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I have a 42" GWIII and my picture is perfectly straight across the bottome of the screen. Watching one of the news channels (CNN,MSNBC,FOX) that has the text banners running across the screen yields a perfectly straight text pattern.

When I first got the set, some of the text was cut off the bottom of the screen. I used the vertical size and vertical position adjustment in the user menus to get it fully visible on the screen. It tuns right across the bottom, so if I had a curve, it would be very apparent.

Some people have reported geometry problems with these sets, but they usually occur on the sides of the screen, watching 4:3 material.

If you notice the defect, I's swap out the set. The problems noted above require using some sort of wedge to get the set's light engine adjusted properly. The light engine is an expensive part of the set; and has no geometry adjustments on the unit itself. As a result, the repair person has to wedge something under the light block to get it even.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.