Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

I bought the 60" GWIII in mid-December. We are now in mid-January.

Bought from Future Shop with extended warranty.

My question is, I've got a ****-load of people coming over for a Superbowl party and I've been reading about this buzz/lamp problem for a while now and I'm terrified.

Most accounts indicate failures after around 1 month. I can see it now, the sucka will fail on Super Sunday, leaving me looking like an idiot.

So my question is, when this problem occurs, is it intermittent? I.e. happens sometimes but not all the time or does it fail to the point where the television cannot be started at all?

Also, I guess since Sony hasn't done a recall, I can't really ask for any "repairs" to occur prior to the Superbowl to prevent it from failing.

Should I stop watching TV for the next 2 weeks to make the TV last longer?

The set is usually turned on at 7pm and turned off at around 10 or 11pm, every night. It is also turned on for an additional 4-5 hours per day during week-end days (NFL playoffs).

Or maybe should I turn the sucka on and off more often so that it breaks now so that I can have it repaired by Superbowl Sunday?

Or yet maybe even lie about it and say it's broken when it's not to have them come over?

Hum.

Thanks!

Limech

·
Registered
93 Posts
CALL SONY, THEY WILL ASK FOR THE SERIAL #. IF IT WAS PRODCED BEFORE A CERTAIN DATE, THEY WILL FIX IT. AND YOU KNOW WHAT? IT IS NOT THAT BIG A DEAL, SIMPLE FIX, WHY IS EVERY ONE SO UPTIGHT ABOUT THIS MINOR PROBLEM? LOOK AT THE THREADS FOR THE OTHER LCD RPTV, DLP, LCOS, AND FEEL BLESSED YOU ONLY HAVE A SMALL, EASY TO FIX PROBLEM, AND THIS COMES FROM A GUY WHO NORMALY DOES NOT BUY SONY TV'S, BUT PANASONICS FOR QUALITY REASONS. EVERYBODY RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR TV

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Actually Limech if your TV is working then just use it normally. It is true that some sets are going at around 1 month. Mine went after 2.5 months. However, there is nothing that you are going to be able to do about it before SuperBowl Sunday. The fix is not that easy. It takes at least 4 weeks from the first time you call till they actually do the fix(If anyone has gotten theirs in less time please let us know). It usually takes them at least 7 days just to get the parts. I would suggest the things that Sony told me to do if you want to do something to try and prevent it. I really don’t know if these things help. However, my TV was completely dead and now it has only had the power issue once in the three weeks that I have been waiting for the technician to fix it.

1. Plug your TV straight into a wall outlet. I did this and it has worked since. Sony told me to do it but I have no idea if it works or not.

2. If you leave the TV off for more then 7 days unplug it. That is from the Sony Manual. Even try unplugging it at night. The Sony rep told me to do this and it has been working ever since.

3. If you get the problem, then wait 1-2 minutes then unplug the set and turn it back on right away. This is not good for the set but if you need it to turn on right away this is your best bet unless you want to open the TV up and smack the lamp. That works too.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
You called them for the first time and that day they came out and picked it up and applied the new lamp and then returned it to you? Now that is what I call service! Most of the stories I have heard(including mine) have been more like 1 month. What was the date that the fix was applied and when did you first call them?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I called them on Jan15th (my TV was working at the time, but it had been having the problem intermittently), sent out a tech on Jan16th, he told me the repair was to replace the bulb but he didnt have one with him and he had to take the TV. I told him "like hell you will", The Eagles were on in the NFC championship, and I had to watch the (wish maybe I hadn't now) So he said he would set up a time next week to come pick it up. I said ok. So on Sat. Jan17, I get a call from the president of the repair company, tells me that there is a new Sony issued fix, including newly engineered board and lamp. Sets up to pick it up on Monday Jan 19th. Pick it up at 12:30PM on the 19th. Return it at 12noon the 20th. Is working like a champ...to see my thread about this go here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=354728

hope it helps you out

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Yes this helps me very much because I have been waiting 3 weeks for the fix and the company that ordered the parts for me ordered them on the 11th. This means that they might receive the resistors and no lamp unless Sony changes the order. You are very lucky that your fix took less than 1 week. I guess they are getting faster at doing the fix now because they have done it so many thousands of times already. I am going to insist on the new board and a new lamp.

Did they already have the board and lamp there because my service center said that it will take 10-14 days for the parts to come in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, they already apparently had these in stock. Now it may be because the had fixed 5 or 6 sets before mine, so maybe they ordered extra boards and lamps assuming that there would be more people calling in with the issue.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If it doesn't Buzz and you never heard it buzz and it always turns on in 3 -4 blinks no more no less, Don't worry bout it.

Why fix something that isn't broke. Your TV will start showing symptoms before it fails and even then you can usually, eventually get it turned on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.