AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been reading most of the threads for about two months now and you guys have helped alot. However here's my situation, I have the oppurtunity to buy either a GWIII or PT50LC13 through my work and CDWG for great prices on both. The only problem I am having is I really want the GWIII for picture quality, but the problems they have had scare me a tad bit. So, I think I may go for the lesser PQ although so far more reliable Panny PT50LC13. I am a gamer and I will be using this mostly as a XBOX monitor to play on and I saw another post where the XBOX did not show up at 720p on the Panny.... Can anyone help me? Am I sacrificing much by going with the Panny? or should I take the risk that I get a GWIII with no problems?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Same situation here (not a gamer though).

I wouldn't touch a Sony GWIII with a 100 yd pole.

I paid for the Panasonic and am now awaiting delivery.

You only see subtle pic differences if you have 2 sets side-by-side.

There are plenty of other sets that, when placed next to the GWIII, would blow ITS picture away.

My $.02. Get the Panasonic. It DOES have a great picture and it DOES have better build/design quality.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by digitalnofx
I am a gamer and I will be using this mostly as a XBOX monitor to play on and I saw another post where the XBOX did not show up at 720p on the Panny.... Can anyone help me?
I have the pt50lc13 and an xbox and they both work perfectly together. 720p games like Amped 2, Soul Caliber 2, True Crimes, etc all work and display properly on this set. The only thing you need is the HD pack for the xbox. And make sure you enable 720p in your xbox dashboard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet thanks!!! So That's two votes for the Panny!! Great, that really helps...I've just been hesitant because some people say screen door effect and blacks were worse with the panny.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I love the GWIII's PQ, and even better my wife loves it too...I just don;t want her to hate it after a couple of weeks when it wont cut on...that is if Sony hasn't come up with a fix..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go for the GW3

I had the problem with the set not turning on and i would still recommend it over anything else I or my wife has seen. The picture quality on SD as well as DVDs is amazing. All games with the X-Box also look good. My set has been fixed and I understand that all 2004 sets produced by Sony are free of this problem. For my money this was the best TV I could find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was at a local BB, where they had the GWIII, Panny, and Hitachi side by side, on the same feed. While the sony looked *slightly* better than the other two, at a normal viewing distance, there really was no difference between the three. Since my wife agreed, it must be true! :)

-steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
Man, what's with all these guys talking about their wives when replying to TV questions? (makes whipping noise)...

I am one of the GWIII owners that, like Madlin was really excited the first week I had mine till it stopped turning on. It has been in the shop for 3 days now and who knows when I will get it back.

HAVING SAID THAT, assuming the TV comes pack repaired like it should I would recommend it for its picture quality, style and features. It really does look sharp. I almost bought the Panasonic 50" but the sony is just a little more crisp in my opinion.

Now, and I am sure the admins here are getting tired of us whining about it, if Sony will just help us get them all working.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I agree Illy, I guess I'm sort of hoping for some sort of guarantee from Sony that a 2004 will not have the same issues...Since I have been a sony person for quite some time now...Although I know that there's always risk when making any purchase like this...The Panny could come with lots of dead pix....and I know a guarantee from Sony is most likely not going to be a reality...Maybe I'm just stressing too much over this and should just bite the bullet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more question, and again I appreciate everyone for helping so much so far...

This is kind of a gamer question I'm sorry, but has anyone played NCAA 2k4 in HD on any TV? Can anyone confirm how good it looks or even can you see all your Wide outs now?

Sorry, just curious...

·
Registered
233 Posts
yeah i have a question about gaming too, in xbox, do the games play in 16:9 or 4:3??? i know you can set the dashboard interface of the xbox, but when you play the game in the GWIII does the actual game plays 16:9 or 4:3, thanks a bunch in advance, rock on XBOX

·
Registered
284 Posts
Depends on the game. Some games, like Soul Calibur II are fixed at 4:3, while others are adjustable or are set at 16:9 by default, like Grand Theft Auto: Double Pack. Fighting games tend to look better in 4:3, while driving games and first person shooters look better in 16:9.

·
Registered
233 Posts
cool thanks, i heard xbox looks gourceous in the Sammy DLP, is it the same in the GWIII? sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK...so there ARE some games that totally support 16:9...Like NCAA, Siberia, Madden, Fever etc. I did a search and found most of them on another forum...Hate to answer my own question but thought I would share for those who cared.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Here's a site that tells you which games are 4:3 and which are 16:9:

High Definition Game Database

XBox games look great on my GWIII. Of course 720p games like Tony Hawk and Soul Calibur 2 look unbelievable, but even 4:3 480p games like Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, and Halo look very good stretched using Full mode.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DLiquid
Here's a site that tells you which games are 4:3 and which are 16:9:

High Definition Game Database

XBox games look great on my GWIII. Of course 720p games like Tony Hawk and Soul Calibur 2 look unbelievable, but even 4:3 480p games like Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, and Halo look very good stretched using Full mode.
*tipping hat*

Appreciate that link !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.