AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frequently when viewing high contrast scenes, certain parts of the image will begin to flicker or shimmer. I typically see this with HD broadcasts and some digital, mostly film content. For example when viewing white text on the screen (scrolling movie credits, text on a billboard in a movie, etc.) or when viewing an article of clothing with white or bright patterns, these patterns begin to flicker a bit. Other examples are windows on a brightly lit building, peoples jewelry or trees against a skyline. Personally this has become very distracting, I'll be focused on a main subject in the center of the screen only to have my eyes redirected to the corner of the screen by some jitter. Note that when this happens, the majority of the image is rock solid. I've tried to tame this by lowering sharpness, thinking it's too much edge enhancement but this dosen't really help. I also tried some SM adjustments (Mid 5) without any success. I know that the set is suppose to convert 1080i to 788p but there still seems to be some kind of de-interlacing, aliasing issue. I had a DLP for a while, and although it had it's variety of issues, I did not notice this effect at all. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible my set has some kind of problem? If so, what could it be? De-interlacer? I'm kinda set to do a service call but would rather not if this is "normal". I've posted a similar message in the past but received limited response. I'm hoping some of you newer owners can give some feedback.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When you say flicker or shimmer, do you mean the light intensity changes? Or do you mean you see bright areas as being grainy/shimmery/sparkling. If you see this graininess, you are probably seeing the LCD "Screen door effect". This is normal and there is nothing you can do about it. What you are seeing are narrow gaps between adjacent pixels.

One test is to put up a static high contrast image, such as white text on a black background. At your normal seating position, stare at the text. Now move your head a bit. The letters should "shimmer" a bit, as if you are looking through a screen door at those brightly lit letters.

DLP sets also suffer from the same problem. LCOS is the only digital technology that minimizes this.

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
I think this has been discussed before. It is called aliasing when the image is resized (to TV's internal fixed resolution). You can adjust the filter in Service Menu to filter it down a little bit at the cost of clearity of the image.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kwolfman

No changes in light intensity or noticeable graininess. And it's defiently not SDE as I see that too but it's not an issue to me. It's definitely more of a shimmer or jitter on a specific object. For example the other day I was watching Biker Boyz on HD. There was a scene were the image from left to right was all bikers from the same gang. They all had on the same jackets which had a logo in white text on the front. On each member the white text seemed to be jumping around quite a bit / shaking, but the rest of the image was stable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know what the SDE looks like, but I think I've seen what jav1 is referring to a few times on my 70xbr950 and it is different from SDE. It seems to happen in the background material--as if it is fluttering or shifting, in a distracting way, while your eyes are fixed on the main character. But I recall it happening more with darker backgrounds than bright ones.

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
Jav1,

Like I posted in another thread you started, there is really no fix to this unless Sony can release a firmware address this. I remember Sammy DLP has similar issue and is fixed by some new firmware (or a new board).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I run this set at near 1:1 through my HTPC. I can tell you that even with UMR's tweaks and with 1:1, in the nokia test pattern with the horizontal lines, I am getting heavy flickering and it's driving me nuts. Let me know if any of you have a way to resolve this.

JMC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.