AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
42" GWIIIs appear to be arriving. Goodguys has them now. Local dealer just got his today. I hope to see soon.

50" appear to be 2-3 weeks out.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah, I just called Good Guys in EPA and they told me that there are about 20 KF-42WE610s in the warehouse. They said no Bay Area Good Guys have one on display yet.

mevans0000, where are you located?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It does make sense that Sony would release the 42" first, since there may be a demand for that screen size that isn't fulfilled by the current Sony, Panasonic, and Hitachi LCD offerings. Also, the 42" set doesn't compete as directly with the existing stock of GWIIs as the larger GWIIIs will.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Go buy some and let me know how they compare to the panny and hitachi :)

BTW Panny rocks for its connectivity

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both 42" and 50" arrived at local retailer today. I went by but they were not completely unpacked yet. 50" was still in styrofoam wrap and 42" not seen. Will go back tomorrow to check out.

The sighting of the 50" is inconsistent with word from other retailers who said 2-3 weeks (including Crutchfield and Goodguys), but they may have just sent out 1 per store for demo purposes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They have a GWIII 42" set up at the SonyStyle retail store on Madison and 56th in Manhattan. I wandered up to see it yesterday after work.

I don't know if the source material was terrible (the rather uninformed sales rep told me it was a DVD) or what, but the picture was very disappointing. The salesman said they had no HD inputs hooked up (odd, yes?) so it was impossible to tell how it performed. However, if the picture I saw was indicative of how my DVDs would look on it, then the Sony LCD RPTVs are officially off the list of TVs under consideration.

I'd love to hear what other's who have see it think.....

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The Good Guys in Mountain View, CA says they have a KF-42WE610 in the store and plan to set it up later today. Sound familiar? At first, Good Guys said mid-October, but when he checked his computer he saw that they had one in the store. He checked with someone and then said they were trying to set it up with an HD feed, and that it should be up by 6pm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I was there, the GWIII had its own independent input and was not sharing a feed - so perhaps the source was bad, but as I said before, I was assured that the feed was a DVD.

The picture was fuzzy and you could see blocks in the picture (like I get on my TiVo when I record on lower quality). The color scheme of the unit itself was also a bit uninspiring - the silver looked more like dingy grey. Again, this may only have been characteristics of this TV at this one store. I'll be interested to hear what other observe.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by umr
They have one on display at the Kirby Tweeter in Houston. I will check it out sometime this weekend. Maybe this will fit the bill for my bedroom.
If we pitch in for gas, will you go tonight? :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just saw a quick look of the 42'' GWIII at Good Guys in Redondo Beach.

The source is a HD feed. Picture quality looks very good comparable to the plasmas near by. Notice the contrast was a little better than the GWII in the next room. I think the dark cabinet helps with the contrast. Looks good!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm up here in Vancouver Canada and so far I've had the chance to look at the Panny 50", the Sony KF-42WE610, the Samsung HLN5065 DLP, the RCA DLPs and the LG 60" LCD (don't know the model numbers of the RCA or LG's)

From what I saw, the Sony GWIII had the best picture. I suspect whatever one looked poor did indeed have a very bad source because the one I saw actually looked the best out of all the sets!

The LG was the worst by far with very faded colours. The RCA DLP was grainy and seemed to lack high contrast.

The Panny looked quite decent, but lacked contrast. It did surprisingly well on regular TV though, so that's certainly worth something.

The Samsung DLP and Sony GWIII looked the best. I give the edge to the Sony though because the DLP makes regualy digital cable look like pure, unwatchable crap! Not to mention its inability to display 4:3 content without stretching or zooming it.

Overall, I like the Panny's connectivity, 4:3 mode and good handling of lesser sources, but it just lacked the contrast to make it really impress.

I've yet to see the Hitachi 50V500 though and from what I've heard, it may very well turn out to be the best one of all.

TerrorBeast

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewBD
When I was there, the GWIII had its own independent input and was not sharing a feed - so perhaps the source was bad, but as I said before, I was assured that the feed was a DVD.

The picture was fuzzy and you could see blocks in the picture (like I get on my TiVo when I record on lower quality). The color scheme of the unit itself was also a bit uninspiring - the silver looked more like dingy grey. Again, this may only have been characteristics of this TV at this one store. I'll be interested to hear what other observe.
yes, indeed, disappointingly, that's what I saw there today in NYC.

Probably a bad source......

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Good Guys in EPA had the 42 and the 50 inch. 42 was showing HDNet college football and looked beautiful. Much better than all the CRT projection tvs around it. Sharper, brighter, better colors.

The 50 didn't have as good a feed, but they had it right next to the GWII and it was noticeably brighter, resulting in better contrast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.