AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a loyal Philips Pronto user for many years and in the process of building my second HTPC. As I plan to use VMC along with Media Browser is this remote a good choice or will the pronto do everything to ensure WAF? The ability to use the air mouse looks great, but is this really necessary for total remote control of VMC, Media Browser, Powerdvd, TMT3??

Advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
my basic mce remote does just fine... as long as you stay in media center.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Not sure which Gyration model that is, but if it is the similar to one I have, I love it.

It is programmable so you can set it up to power on/off other devices.

The mouse function is really nice to have (right click and left click)

It is also a media center remote so you can use it to control 7MC or VMC

I book mark all my online TV content sources in folders so I just use the mouse function of the remote to easily navigate the screen and rarely pick up a keyboard.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've been using the Gyration Media Center remote for some time. Now that I've got TMT3 working, I finally tried VMC only to find that the mouse icon doesn't show up on the screen. I can tell where it is because objects on the screen get highlighted. If close is highlighted, when I click on it VMC goes away and the pointer is sitting right where close was in VMC.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv /forum/post/16949202

Will it control Powerdvd, TMT3 etc.? Media Browser plug-in?

Thanks for your input!

yes. however the whole point of media center (or sage, myth, etc.) is to _not_ use a mouse or see a mouse pointer.

as long as you stay in that environment, you don't need a mouse. the $30 msft remote/ir receiver combo is all you need.

the gyration mouse/remote does have the advantage of rf over ir, though.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Agreed. However the ability to have mouse functions on the remote is a nice adder because you can use it to close down Media Center and then navigate to online content sites without the need of a keyboard.

you can do it all with the mouse.

As for the remote working with TMT. It works fine for me and you should not need the mouse function inside TMT (or at least rarely need it). I launch TMT 3 from inside MCE and the remote Nav buttons (up down left right) all work fine inside TMT...no mouse needed.

The only few times I might use it in TMT is when I want to open the control panel to change a setting and the mouse works fine in there.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/17062066

there is a driver that enable mouse pointing with the mce remotes.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/41277.aspx

the gyration mouse is pretty neat, though.

Interesting, I had not heard of that before. Have you tried it? How does it work?

Is the idea that you can tab around to different clickable links and then use OK to make that click?

Just wondering how they do it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack /forum/post/17062084

Interesting, I had not heard of that before. Have you tried it? How does it work?

Is the idea that you can tab around to different clickable links and then use OK to make that click?

Just wondering how they do it.

don't know. I've never tried it. it was referenced in another thread.

I have msft's media center keyboard with pointing device so I've never needed it.

just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Sorry about bumping an old thread. I just got this remote. Is there a way to program this remote to control a Dish Network remote? I tried the ones they listed and they didn't work.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak /forum/post/19163674

Sorry about bumping an old thread. I just got this remote. Is there a way to program this remote to control a Dish Network remote? I tried the ones they listed and they didn't work.

Try the learning function, download the manual and there you find the procedure, its easy.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I guess I could try the learn function...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielcab /forum/post/19163880

download the manual and there you find the procedure, its easy.

I did.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak /forum/post/19164920

I guess I could try the learn function...

I did.

You did, and it still doesn't learn? Weird... Don't worry, though - it might not be worth it. Gyr4101 is not the most ergonomic remote, and its main advantage (if not the only one) is the mouse function. Here is what I mean:

1) When I had Dish Network IR remote 10 years ago, it was one of the most ergonomic IR remotes that I've ever seen. They are probably still good today.

2) Most LCD TV remotes are quite ergonomic too - my Panasonic TCL32C22 is almost same good as that old one from Dish - not same comfortable but close.

3) OTH, Gyr4101 isn't ergonomic and isn't convenient to use as one-for-all remote because:

a) Uncomfortable shape and tiny closely-spaced buttons that you need to look at every time before hitting them; only Volume, Channel and Big Green button are big, but -

b) Volume punch-through mode doesn't work - to control TV volume you have first to hit tiny TV button on Gyr4101; then you can adjust volume and flip the channels, but -

c) Big Green Button between Volume and Channels will switch Gyr to PC mode if you hit it accidentally (same applies if you control Dish receiver and flip Channels - hit BG button and Gyr goes to PC mode).

Eventually, I've found that I'm using Gyr now mostly for its mouse function. Btw, it sucks as a web-browser remote, even in simplified WMC-ish 10ft interfaces like Zinc, because it's lacking scroll function.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I figured out why... I'm trying to use the 2nd remote which is RF not iR. Oh well I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.