AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between the Lite-on Airboard and the Gyration RF keyboard and mouse. Although Girder is supposed to work with any remote input, since I have never used it I just want to be sure. Can Girder be used in conjunction with a RF keyboard.

I am planning on having an IRman installed into the case (A-tech fab) to use with my Pronto but the RF functionality of the keyboard with separate mouse would be nice.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
57 Posts
I see these as two separate items: The RF keyboard and mouse will use its own reciever, and IRman will pick up IR signals from your remote. Girder can be programed to read the IR signals directly, and it can also interface with any keyboard (wired or cordless). I don't see a problem with what you want to do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kbmyers,

Thanks for the info. This is my first computer build and I am trying to get a handle on as much detail as I can before ordering my gear.

I did a search and read the Girder FAQ. It talks extensively about IR interfaces but not much about RF. However, I never saw info that said that RF wouldn't be compatible either.

I still haven't decided between the two.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
RF will not work with Girder but then again it won't interfere with it either.

However I've just gone through a nightmare experience with the Airboard. Once its on your system (I mean installing the airboard management software) it will not uninstall very easily... in fact, I never got it to fully uninstall and if you go to the Girder forum you'll find others that are stuck as well. My problem was that my RePlayTV remote's IR signals were also picked up either through Airboard's IR receiver or IRman and then 'filtered'. Some signals after 'filtering' became keyboard strokes and cause Dscaler and ZoomPlayer to do some strange things. The real nightmare became trying to uninstall the software. It left behind at least 2 files and 1 registry entry that I can find so far (and those took 2 days to find). However there is still something else left that gives Girder 'bogus' IR codes from time to time and causes it to lose 'focus' of the window. I tried both 'System Restore' and 'Go Back' and neither have worked. I think I'm at the point of having to do the ever-popular 'reformat/reinstall shuffle' . My advice to you is either have a DriveImage back-up or don't install the Airboard software (I believe the keyboard will still work, all except for the special function keys at the very top of the board).

Boy, I sure wish someone had given me this advice last week!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
monomer

I never used the software for Airboard (but am very happy with it though :) ) You may want to try JV16 Power Tools available here: http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml , it is one of the BEST registry cleaners out there, I used it when all hope was gone and I had a corrupt video driver install and it found the bad entry and allowed me to install new drivers, much better then a reinstall of OS. Try, you will like it.

Jim

PS: It is FREE!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
We use the Gyration keyboard and mouse exclusively. Depending on the software you use, (we use ShowShifter) integrated utilities can be downloaded to eliminate Girder entirely. Nothing against Girder, but you really don't need it.

Distinct advantage to Gyration, attractive price, good support solid product and RF absolutely eliminates an line of sight issues. We have a 61" Hitachi rear projection in our media lab and the worst complaint I have is turning it on and of with miserable IR controller.

Since we make HTPC equipment for high end motorhomes and travel trailers, we can't afford sloppy keyboard/mouse interface. With the Gyration mouse, all aspects can be controlled with one "clicker" from an easy chair. That's what our customers want.

Michael Lewis

HTPCWorks

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
michael,

I looked up your website.

You might want to see my post here about using Dscaler filters in ShowShifter.

http://www.showshifter.com/cgi-bin/u...c;f=6;t=000043

Doubling the Refresh Rate really does make the picture look nice, no matter which deinterlacing filter you choose.

Since I made that post, I flashed my BIOS and that improved my AGP Overlay performance so that what used to take 100% now takes 30% of my CPU.

And I use the Gyration Ultra Keyboard and Mouse Combo. It works just like any other USB keyboard and mouse.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Airboard + Girder = NIGHTMARE.

The fact that RF devises does not interfere is a virtue vs vice.

Some people DO use Girder effectively.

Tim

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The purpose of using IR as opposed to RF is: if you have other external (to your PC that is) equipment, their remotes will most likely use IR for controlling them. That is ok if you don't mind shuffling back and forth between remotes and mouse/keyboard. But if you have a non-tech person in the house trying to operate the system, all this can be very intimidating. However if you use a programmable remote with a customized interface (like the Pronto) you then must also be able to control your PC by IR... the theme here is unifying control over the entire HTPC+ system and all the advantages that it brings. Until my recent Airboard disaster, I could control my whole system (projector, receiver, ReplayTV, HTPC) through macros in my Pronto with the push of one button for each activity... one button to turn everything on and set the receiver appropriately... one button to open ZoomPlayer, switch the receiver appropriately and start the movie... one button to close everything and open Dscaler, turn on the ReplayTV, set the receiver output... one button to play CDs... one button for radio... one button to choose each TV station (just pick an icon on the Pronto for ABC, CBS, NBC, TBS, animal planet, etc.) ... you get the idea, very 'non-tech' friendly. Even the whole system shut-down with just one button push (including the HTPC). This is the advantage of IR control for the computer. The only thing keeping me from complete HTPC automation nirvana was that I couldn't TURN ON the PC with IR... thus entered the dreaded Airboard... my whole system is now screwed up and I will have to reformat and reinstall the OS and everything else as well as all the settings... so just be careful of what you chose to do with the airboard now... it may screw-up your system for future modifications you would like to do involving IR... and the insidious thing is that its so subtle and random you may never suspect the problem is the airboard you installed months ago and blame it all on Girder or some other innocent application or driver.

Ok, now let's review...

IR + RF = unfriendly to 'non-tech' type people

IR for everything = where you want to be if you have any externally IR contolled equipment

Airboard = ok

Girder = ok

Airboard + Girder = ok (I think)

Girder + any external IR remote control devices = ok

Airboard + Girder + any external IR remote control devices = disaster

It's too late for me but I hope this helps someone...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can't speak much to the girder/gyration combo, but I did just get the gyration in the mail. I'm going to use it with girder too. I'm very impressed with this rf keyboard/mouse combination. Its almost like it was made just for HTPCs.

In fact, I kind of wish there were a good way to marry it to my Tivo controls through girder. Well, we'll see.

--Karl

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info,

I think my final plan will be this:

The A-tech case will have the IRman mount and I will use that with the Pronto ( I am planning on waiting for the TSU-3000). The macros will also control the rest of my components ( all IR) just as monomer described. I will use the RF gyration for applications that require a keyboard/mouse. I am hoping to not depend on girder for automation or at least use it minimally. I can still do that through the RF gyration or the IR/pronto correct?

Thanks

scott

·
Registered
395 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to keep from using the keyboard and mouse as much as possible, and that's probably a reasonable approach.

In contrast, I'll be trying to automate things quite a bit. I'll be using serial control of my plasma display and denon receiver. I have a ProntoNeo I'm using now that contains almost all the macros for switching things via IR, but I'll be converting some of that ability to girder and serial communication.

I think given enough time you can do just about anything with the combination of equipment you have, and what you are doing sounds like a modest set of goals.

--Karl

·
Registered
79 Posts
I, like nebari, am considering the Pronto TSU-3000, IRMan/Girder combo. I also would like the Gyration RF Suite but dont want another IR keyboard for integration with Pronto. My question regards the RF capabilities of the TSU-3000. Does this imply that I could teach the TSU-3000 some basic Gyration RF keyboard (or mouse for that matter) commands? That way I'd only be FORCED to use the keyboard for more key intensive work.

Does anyone have this configuration? (well obviously without the TS-3000) Or could shed some light as I have not ventured into remote control management and integration with the HTPC.

Loax

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I personally have an Airboard, and I just got my pronto TSU-2000 last night (couldn't wait any longer for the 3000 which should ship at the end of january if there are no further delays, and I got the 2000 for under 200 bux). Hopefully I will program it with some basic commands that I will need from my airboard such as controlling DVD's and stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.